another Yagudin article | Page 7 | Golden Skate

another Yagudin article

Skatehappy

Rinkside
From reading news sources, it seems that you can't start a business or remain in business in Russia without paying off the right people...and I don't mean the government departments that issue permits. (That would pretty much be expected, lol.) So when I read that Alexei dreams about having a skating/Cirque du Soleil-type tour in Russia, I wonder how he can manage this without doing something that is potentially very dangerous, such as getting involved with the wrong people. Alexei is intelligent, but then again, in one interview he said that he prefers to make his own mistakes than to learn from others. Here's hoping he knows better than to skate on thin ice.

curious

Final Flight
Skatehappy said:
From reading news sources, it seems that you can't start a business or remain in business in Russia without paying off the right people...and I don't mean the government departments that issue permits. (That would pretty much be expected, lol.) So when I read that Alexei dreams about having a skating/Cirque du Soleil-type tour in Russia, I wonder how he can manage this without doing something that is potentially very dangerous, such as getting involved with the wrong people. Alexei is intelligent, but then again, in one interview he said that he prefers to make his own mistakes than to learn from others. Here's hoping he knows better than to skate on thin ice.

Alexei has been skating on thin ice for years just want to do it on Plushy's back now.:biggrin:

curious

Final Flight
brad640 said:
It sounds like Alexei is not ready to bury the hatchet with Mishin. That may stand in the way of any partnership, because Plushenko has been steadfast in his devotion to Mishin and considers him to be the genius of Russian skating. If Alexei really wants to work with Plushenko he should be prepared to mend his relationship with Mishin, which might be difficult after he completely disavowed Mishin when he won his OGM. At least he should not issue an ultimatum that Plushenko has to sever all ties with Mishin to work with him, because that will likely not happen.

Of course that won't happen,cause plushy does not take orders from yags lol! he doesn't really need the partnership as badly as yags:biggrin:

dmr65

On the Ice
Skatehappy said:

Anton S., Elena B and friends got their business up and running the usual way.. They worked hard and saved.. I know Anton has a childhood friend who is a lawyer, and I'm sure having great network is helpful. :)

curious

Final Flight
new tidbit on a recent yags article at AYDG says Yags was not invited to Plushy's wedding party,but he will send congratulations to the happy couple. And here we were discussing the possibility of these two working together. It seems the boys couldn't resolve their differences,what a schock :biggrin:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Curious, I see no contradiction. I like people I work with, but I didn't invite them to my wedding. I did, however, expect to hear "Congrats" from them.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
Curious, I see no contradiction. I like people I work with, but I didn't invite them to my wedding. I did, however, expect to hear "Congrats" from them.

I'm with you. There are very few of my associates on a business level that I would invite to a personal family / friend affair.

I have no idea what the possibilities are of Plush / Yags collaberating once Plush chooses to exit the eligible ranks. But I have to think they will view each other differently when they are both in "business" mode rather than head to head competition mode. Maybe not - who knows.....

DG

mzheng

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
Alexei is a talented guy, and I hope he continues to find lucrative ways to make money on the business side of FS.
From his interview, sounds like he already found the new way to make money. Revive pro competetion, where he can compete with Plushin. I'd guess ppl willing to pay high $$$ to see these two compete again head in head.

This way, more or less took his financial reward to his own (together with Plushin) hands. In stead of having to rely on the bid or compete the position with his fellow Rusian skaters.

curious

Final Flight
Doggygirl said:
I'm with you. There are very few of my associates on a business level that I would invite to a personal family / friend affair.

I have no idea what the possibilities are of Plush / Yags collaberating once Plush chooses to exit the eligible ranks. But I have to think they will view each other differently when they are both in "business" mode rather than head to head competition mode. Maybe not - who knows.....

DG

You would like to think so,but something tells me these two are going to continue their rivalry off the ice. Didn't plushy talked about them competing in life too in an interview? There's still alot of water under the bridge :biggrin:

mzheng

Record Breaker
curious said:
You would like to think so,but something tells me these two are going to continue their rivalry off the ice. Didn't plushy talked about them competing in life too in an interview? There's still alot of water under the bridge :biggrin:
Well, when there is a big money to be earned the story could be different. Both of them need the money. The $$$$$ never hurt. After all bussiness is a bussiness. The true profetionals and smart ppl should never be blined by personal bias when come to bussiness.

Germanice said:
I knew SOI must have had certain reasons to hire Eldredge! :yes: Anke :rofl:
Anke, I am not particularly a fan of Todd. There were times, though. I saw him as very competitive. And he was a very popular competitor in the United States so when the show plays US cities he is a part of the draw for paying customers. He is, apparenly, a popular skater in the show from the applause I hear on TV. The show plays one night stands and skaters can take so much of that. Once they realize how tough that is and there are no movie offers, it's bye bye.

I really don't think he had pull with the powers to be at SOI. Even if he did and the customers did not want him, he wouldn't be there. The business of SOI is to have a popular show with crowd pleasing customers. Otherwise SOI loses money. Money, money, money is first and those 'stars' that bring it in keep SOI on the move.

Joe

soogar

Record Breaker
Todd is very tight with Scott Hamiliton : golf buddies and same b'day plus Scott has expressed a lot of admiration for Todd (and Scott has known him since he was 12 - per Scott). Plus Todd is also good friends with Browning and Yamaguchi and Todd Sand. Todd definitely earns his money in terms of being a consistent skater and being professional. However Todd's skating is fairly bland and while he has a 3 axel, at Ice Wars, his programs were really lacking in entertainment value compared to Alexei's. Todd is all about the jumps and he has developed a formulaic sense of style. He knows what works for him and I do like his skating. However he isn't the most scintillating person to be a headliner in a show.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Todd has made every effort to keep up his skills (no, I'm not talking about quads, but he does lots of other outstanding things - the spins, Russian Split Jumps, etc.). I can attest to the very warm reception he gets (and deserves) at the SOI shows, season after season. We happily attended three shows this season mainly because of him, although we love/appreciate the international cast in SOI (Philly, our hometown, Trenton, NJ & Reading, PA). Todd delivers! :clap: :clap: :clap: :agree: We are long time SOI fans (have been going since 1993).

Yes, I happen to like his serious, dramatic programs, but I also enjoy that he is branching out with the more "fun" & different musical style ones as well (this season's "Let Me Entertain You," last season's "Flamenco," & "Channel One Suite" from two years ago). He had the audience in stitches during the "Flea Tenor" transition (which unfortunately was not shown on the A&E broadcast) & has integrated very well in the group numbers. I personally think he is a great asset to the show & I would be extremely disappointed if he were not there.

Last edited:
I don't think this is a comparison of Todd and Alexei. At least it should not be. It is about a featured performer who admittedly has disdain for some of his colleagues and the country he is forced to make a living. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's not unlike anyone in the work force having a love-everybody-I-work-with. I can't believe we are all pollyanas. I don't blame Alexei for feeling overlooked when speaking of his contract, if that is what is bugging him. He is an Olympic champion and feels he is not respected for that monumental feat. In about 8 months from now he will become a has-been as far as the Olympic Champ business is concerned. He will be remembered by all fans for just so long as fans have remembered Alan Hays Jenkins. New fans, however, probably will not remember him after 10 years at least not while discussing their latest boy wonder.

So I am all for SOI to bill him as the 2002 Oly Champ as they do for Sarah.

As to his popularity among his colleagues? I don't know. It seems he gets along with the Russian performers well. Maybe not-so-well with others. You know how that would go over in the work force. This is only speculation.

Moneywise his agent should have spoken up immediately on hiring him, and should again if they renegotiate his contract. That's business.

His future in show biz? No skater will ever rise to the level as did Sonia Henie. Ever!! and she couldn't even act.

I go back to my first post. He seems lonely. IMO, what he needs more than anything is a close buddy or a sincere sweetheart or better still, both, and develop a nice circle of friends wherever he calls home.

Joe

Last edited:

76olympics

On the Ice
Joe-Sonja couldn't act--but she was fashioned out of some sort of unbreakable steel, evidently. In the "Reflections on Ice" video , one of her competitors said she kept hoping one day Sonja would have a not so great day, catch a cold, or ...something. "Never happened," she said. "I have never seen anyone as well as Sonja."

I think -from all accounts- Sonja could have risen to any challenge she had to. She could probably have been the triple jump queen in our day. She was "super competitor."

Oops---gigantic digression! Weren't we talking about the 2002 OGM from Russia? How did you get me way over in Norway? Oh well--it is off season.

BTW-I like Todd and can see why he would be a draw in SOI. Why not? I like both Todd and Alexei in the same show--even better! But-seriously-I can see how it would be a very taxing to journey in a foreign country for months on end with only a couple of friends who speak your language (however well you speak and understand English).

soogar

Record Breaker
Joe,
You keep harping on how ALexei doesn't like America. Have you ever thought that he just says that to keep Russian readers happy? It seems that every Russian skater (Klimkin, Yagudin, Plushenko, Slutskaya) that hopes to work in Russia says that they prefer it there and wouldn't think to train in the US. Skaters like Zhulin say that they prefer it in the US b/c Russia is chaotic and he can have a better life for himself b.c he's already settled here and isn't touring anymore.

It seems to me that Russians are somewhat insecure about their country's situation so they talk it up at the expense of the US to appease Russian readers. I think Alexei loves the US, just like Ilia Kulik, and isn't going to return to Russia to live permanently ever.

Soogar - I would think that he is trying to appease the Russian fans if I thought that was necessary. SOI doesn't travel 12 months a year. Alexei could travel to Moscow on his off time and perform as some featured star in a show.

For a country that takes figure skating so seriously as compared to the United States (jmo) the real shame of all this is that Russia does not have an Ice Show. All that money over there and no none wants to produce an ice show and make money. Moscow has a renowned circus, renowned ballet and opera and theatre. Why not add an ice show. The tourists will go if they can't get tickets to the opera and ballet presentations. There are plenty of talent there to make a great show.

If that were to happen, Alexi could reallye enjoy his life on two continents. The fault of his unhappyness does not lye in America but in his own country. Until that happens Alexei should be careful with what he says about either country. He could be biting off the finger that feeds him.

Joe

Katya

Rinkside
Wow, 10 pages! LOL yes it is the off season! :laugh:
Ok, there have been a few things said that I just don't understand. Plush and Yagudin are both very wealthy men ... so why would anyone assume they would do this tour for the money? Has anyone considered they just might want to do it for the fans? Skating shows in Russia are few and far between, and it seems (from previous statements) that both of these skaters want to change that. I doubt that either of them would make a lot of money once all of the expenses are taken care of.

Joesitz said:
SOI doesn't travel 12 months a year. Alexei could travel to Moscow on his off time and perform as some featured star in a show.

Joe

Didn't Alexei do just that last year? I thought he said at the time that it was the first invitation he had received to skate in Russia?