Any News from the Kwan Camp | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Any News from the Kwan Camp

kyla2

Final Flight
Hmmm...

Well, I don't like the fact that RA doesn't think she has enough time to be ready for Nationals or that MZHeng's source doesn't like the program. I give up though, and hope for the best. It certainly will not be the same for me if Michelle isn't there. I saw Irina's SP for the first time today and although she skated it well, it's a flat trick to trick program with terrible music. So I am beginning to think that CoP has ruined the flow and beauty of many skater's programs, with the exception of Sasha's.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Thanks mzheng for the update.

Well, I don't know- if what you say is for real, then I'm surprised. I thought she was well on the way to recovery and would DEFINITELY compete at US Nats. Now it's not even certain if she'll be able to go there? Ouch. Not good.

If she DOES go...how do you think she'd do? If she's only had four weeks of getting back to normal before nats, then maybe she doesn't have the title completely in the bag after all...anyway, we'll see.

Kind of unfortunate for MK to be in this predicament when her last chance for OLY Gold is fast approaching.

SkateCynic

Rinkside
Whoa...been a loooooong time since I posted here.

I trust Mzheng's posts. My own fears are that her injury is more serious than anyone was led (publicly) to believe - I mean the speculation about the tiny bit if info that we do know is all over every skating board - and it's my own hope that she's able to skate at Nats.

She's been at every Nats since I became more than a casual Olympic fan of the sport, and if she's not there, there's going to be a void amongs the Ladies that I can't even imagine.

Here's to hoping that Kwan is on the road to recovery and will be back to fighting form in January and February.

*edited because grammar is an important thing

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yeah- it's tough to imagine a U.S. Nats without Kwan. It'll just be surreal. She basically IS the competition, so to speak. The press has made her this way, the fans have made her this way. JMO

W/O Kwan at US Nats, BTW, one extra lady will get to go to the Olympics...(unless Kwan gets some sort of bye or something?)

orchid

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
W/O Kwan at US Nats, BTW, one extra lady will get to go to the Olympics...(unless Kwan gets some sort of bye or something?)

Like I suggested in a thread eariler this month, now do you wish to discuss it seriously?

Kathy

On the Ice
orchid said:
Like I suggested in a thread eariler this month, now do you wish to discuss it seriously?

Could you at least start a new thread if you must.
At least let MK fans grieve a bit before about our concerns for her, and for us without her, before you focus on her "replacements."

I agree Nationals won't be Nationals without Michelle. I know I'll have an all event ticket for sale if she can't go. Michelle means so much to so many fans - I think her absence whenever it happens will profoundly effect general interest in figure skating - at least for the short run.

MKbeauty

Rinkside
re. MK

I wasn't really expecting MK at Marshall's, so if she doesn't compete there, it wouldn't shock me.

I am surprised about the comments on her choreography, though, since I've heard very positive info. from two different sources (and Johnny Weir also seemed impressed). Think I'll wait and judge for myself.

Last edited:

Gatzbee

Rinkside
Heard she did have a lutz/loop combo before injury.
hey, mzheng, did u mean a lutz/loop in her SP or LP? and a 3-2 or 3-3? i remember junjun on MKF saying that she was going to have a lutz loop i believe in her SP, which generated a question mark by several is to y that as opposed to a 3z2t....
It seems from the above that we will not see her skate competitively until US Nationals (Please ignore the popularity contest - MK will not do anything special in that contest. She doesn't have to.)
also, i didn't quite get what u were referring to in the 'popularity contest' in the context of nationals? are u referring to her possibly getting a 'bye' if she is not able to compete at nats? does ur source think she the likelihood of her being at marshalls is pretty slim?

MS originally watched the program run through before injury. Diddn't like it, but said not sure whose doing, TT or MK.....This brought back to RA's plan to bring back TT twiec
did ur source see the full run through several times before the injury?

thanks for all this mzheng! i really hope she does make it to nats. i had no idea that the injury could be this serious as well :cry:

Kathy said:
Could you at least start a new thread if you must.
At least let MK fans grieve a bit before about our concerns for her, and for us without her, before you focus on her "replacements.".
Definitely. Who cares about opinions of the Kwan haters on a thread not about skating per se but about health issues. We know too well what they will say. A replacement for Kwan if she doesn't skate. What a profound statement that is like the USFSA wouldn't send three ladies. and yes, why doin't they start their own thread on Let's laugh at Kwan's injury.

Joe

Gatzbee said:
also, i didn't quite get what u were referring to in the 'popularity contest' in the context of nationals? are u referring to her possibly getting a 'bye' if she is not able to compete at nats? does ur source think she the likelihood of her being at marshalls is pretty slim?

thanks for all this mzheng! i really hope she does make it to nats. i had no idea that the injury could be this serious as well :cry:
Yes Gazebo, I was referring to the Marshall's popularity contest. Michelle could by pass this unless she is under contract with Marchalls. Silly competition. Why not just have a night of exhibitions.

Joe

nymkfan51

Medalist
Joe, I would think even if she were under some type of contract to do Marshall's, that an injury would be sufficient reason to withdraw.

Thanks to mzheng for the update.

I'm thinking that right now she is maybe doing some footwork, choreography ... just working out the timing of the elements ... plus, just some basic skating to get her endurance level to where it should be.
If she can indeed get back to full training in the next 3 weeks or so, she could certainly be ready for Nationals.
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not even thinking of her winning anymore. I would think that even a less than 100% Kwan could make the top 3 at Nats ... and for the Olympics ... I just want to see her skate 2 wonderful programs with that ole Kwan heart and emotion ... and wherever that leaves her is fine. The gold medal is already decided anyway, so she should just skate from the heart and leave that lasting impression as the final piece of her legacy.

brad640

On the Ice
nymkfan51 said:
I would think that even a less than 100% Kwan could make the top 3 at Nats.
I don't see any problem with MK making the Olympic team under these conditions. She could land 4 triples in the LP and place 2nd to Sasha because her PCS will keep her ahead of Kimmie and Alissa.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Best wishes to MK on her recovery...

I hope Michelle recovers fully so she can fulfill her dream of another Nationals and Olympics.

DG

ranjake

Final Flight
heyang said:
During today's COC broadcast, one of the commentators mentioned that Irina and Michelle have both chosen the same music, Totentanz by Liszt.
sorry...but that's irina's short program music?

guinevere

Final Flight
thanks mzheng for your posts. I'm sad to hear about the continuing problems the Kween is having. I certainly would love to see a healthy Kwan kick butt at Nationals, and I really want to see her TT programs. But I appreciate that she is doing the right thing for her body.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
heyang said:
Not sure if Irina has changed music since COC.

They did mention that Lambiel and Plushenko had chosen the same piece of music (darn can't remember - it was a movie soundtrack) and that Plushy decided to change his choice since Lambiel had announced 1st.
It is Once Upon A Time In Mexico.

Dee

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Thanks to Mzheng for the report... I knew she'd been suffering from injuries for that past couple of years, but felt that her pacing would allow her to go all out this season...

This is very disturbing for not only Kwan fans but for US skating fans in general... For a lot of reasons including: money, coverage, interest, level of competiton, etc.

Because Kwan is so mentally tough, I'm now more concerned that she'll go the Tara way and continue to push & push because she's so determined & focused on winning without doing what's best for herself long term. I'm not that selfish to rather see her skate than to see her healthy... Here's wishing her all the best.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I agree, but (I'm being real here) Kwan has to leave SOMETIME. She can't stay forever. But unlike what some other people might think I'd say, the acceleration of this event really doesn't help the state of things. It's very disappointing for any American skating fan to hear.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
Because Kwan is so mentally tough, I'm now more concerned that she'll go the Tara way and continue to push & push because she's so determined & focused on winning without doing what's best for herself long term. I'm not that selfish to rather see her skate than to see her healthy... Here's wishing her all the best.
Her mom is in her company now. She'll watch out for her........"It was like 1998 all over again.".....IIRC, MK said in a interview couple of years ago "My mom is a cold cucumber."

emma

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
I agree, but (I'm being real here) Kwan has to leave SOMETIME. She can't stay forever. But unlike what some other people might think I'd say, the acceleration of this event really doesn't help the state of things. It's very disappointing for any American skating fan to hear.

Didn't she say in an interview last year that she'd love to compete through 2007 nationals, or was a dreaming (again)?...anyway, i guess i'm just hoping to see her skate a few more times (competively that is), and that she get 10 national championships somehow. :agree: