Any News from the Kwan Camp | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Any News from the Kwan Camp

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Ah, things do sound a bit bleak for Michelle. But, I have complete confidence that she will work as hard as she can (and as smartly) in preparation for Nationals. She is mentally and emotionally very strong. I wish her the very best. It would be great to see her end her career with a set of Olympic performances she can be happy with....medal or no medal.

jesslily

Final Flight
It's very true. Some reports said Michelle only ran program without jumps and spins. I think the observiation of one visit at her practice can not tell her health situation. She might just came back on ice and started with ran through program without jumps and spin. Definitely it's not wise to start jumping the first week back on ice. Michelle might have jumped two or three days and took that day easy just practicing the in-betweens. Maybe that's her 3rd or 4th session and she got all the jumps and spins done before you came in.

gezando

Final Flight
Mzheng, thanks. So right now Dr. Yu is with the usfsa team somewhere outside of USA, and MK has to find another orthopod to lie for her??

I saw Irina's SP for the first time today and although she skated it well, it's a flat trick to trick program with terrible music.
FS is a sports nothing wrong with having tricks, and no one currently has Irina's tricks, and athleticism. There is certain beauty to pure athleticism, that is why many think Jordan's move on the basketball court is a beauty e.g.

So I am beginning to think that CoP has ruined the flow and beauty of many skater's programs, with the exception of Sasha's.
I think COP brought out plenty of beauty out of many skaters programs including Irina's. Sasha's programs are superficially pretty, haven't seen any beauty in her programs, the closest one is her sp in 2000. COP brought out a lot of flow from many skaters programs too, I think Mao's program flows. Cohen's programs don't flow 6.0 or COP IMO.

Last edited:

nymkfan51

Medalist
Sorry gezando!

I nearly flipped when I read your post ... I read it over 5 times before I posted my response ... I couldn't understand why you would say such a thing. Thank God you were kidding!!!

WHEW ... is all I have to say!!!

Last edited:

gezando

Final Flight
nymkfan, I totally believe that MK was injured, that was just a joke and a reply to mzheng's post #16 on this thread, since we both know about some Kwan haterZ spreading the crap about MK lied, and her orthopod Dr. Yu lied for her.

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
gezando said:
Mzheng, thanks. So right now Dr. Yu is with the usfsa team somewhere outside of USA, and MK has to find another orthopod to lie for her??
Oh, yeah. She found Laker's doctor.....Seriously, Dr. Yu was back last week.

Gatzbee

Rinkside
Her mom is in her company now. She'll watch out for her........"It was like 1998 all over again.".....IIRC, MK said in a interview couple of years ago "My mom is a cold cucumber."

thats good to hear. but wut does the expression a 'cold cucumber' mean exactly :think: :scratch: ;)

i honestly think mk will be mentally ready. this lady has proven that she is capable of having a mind of steel. what im praying for is a speedy, healthy physical recovery...

kyla2

Final Flight
NYMKFAN51 and Gezando

NYMKFAN51, I totally agree with everything you said in your post. I would be happy to just see Michelle skate the best she can and just show up. If all she did is stand at center ice, it would be the highlight of the Olympics for me. I don't care if she medals or not anymore. I also agree that this is Irina's in the bag, unless she melts down, and Sasha has a perfect program. There is still a chance Michelle can pull this out, but I am putting that dream in mothballs for now.

Gezando, we will have to disagree about Sasha's program. But for me her program is the best one so far this year. It does flow, and beautifully. Irina's SP is all I have seen so far and although it is technically excellent, it lacks beauty. I will see her LP tonite. I wish Irina well. She deserves every success after beating back her own illnesses and dealing with her mother's, while at the same time taking her skating to new heights.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
No one loves and admires Michelle more than I do.........I've been a fan since I first saw her skate at the young age of 13..........but, I have a bad feeling here. I have an awful feeling that we won't see her skate at all this year.........I hope I'm wrong, of course, but..........:no: 42

orchid

On the Ice
Kathy said:
Could you at least start a new thread if you must.
At least let MK fans grieve a bit before about our concerns for her, and for us without her, before you focus on her "replacements."

I agree Nationals won't be Nationals without Michelle. I know I'll have an all event ticket for sale if she can't go. Michelle means so much to so many fans - I think her absence whenever it happens will profoundly effect general interest in figure skating - at least for the short run.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10735
You see the intent of the thread was not Michelle, but ....

No matter what happens, GO to the Nationals, you have a great opportunity. I love MIchelle, always will. Alissa seems to be the next one. Sasha who?

babyoscar

On the Ice
Mk

Thanks for the updates. I was at the MK rink a few times in September and October. She was NOT on the ice, not sure where she was. I didn't ask since I was just there to watch not to bother their training. I did see her mom and dad at the rink.

gezando

Final Flight
orchid said:
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10735
You see the intent of the thread was not Michelle, but ....

No matter what happens, GO to the Nationals, you have a great opportunity. I love MIchelle, always will. Alissa seems to be the next one. Sasha who?

I agree, if Michelle is healthy, she should go to nationals. Alissa has a certain honesty about her skating that is very beauty, and Cohen's skating OTOH just does not . Cohen's programs also lack flow IMO

If we are switching to choreography, I would go for Joannie Rochette's program which has many many intracacies.

I haven't seen Irina's due to a VCR glitch.

Sasha's program is fine but it's nothing special choreographically. Her flexibility make it exceptional.

Alissa's is pretty much standard but I would add, very well constructed choreographically. She shines in it.

Bebe's is also well constructed. She is speedy and an attacker. It suits her style.

Emilie, too, has a neat routine. Let's hope we see flawless next time out.

IMHO, it is difficult to see choreography unless it is skated well.

Just wondering if I will see a clean skate by Johnny.

Joe

jesslily

Final Flight
I feel Johnny's music and choreograpgy are not that great even he skated clean at SC. He is a lot heavier than before while his upper body's strength does not gain much. Ankle injury mainly is a result of not fit.

soogar

Record Breaker
jesslily said:
I feel Johnny's music and choreograpgy are not that great even he skated clean at SC. He is a lot heavier than before while his upper body's strength does not gain much. Ankle injury mainly is a result of not fit.

I'm not Johnny's defender, but if he was heavier it was probably a good thing for his health. He was extremely thin before and on the internet it was posted that all he lived off of was coffee. Even he himself says that he doesn't like to eat.

Bodywise to me he looked good at SC. Still thin but not scary looking. I think his ankle injury was caused by overtraining, fatigue, and stress.

jesslily

Final Flight
Stress, overtraining, and fatigue might be Johnny's reasons to hurt his ankle. But his trunk and legs are a lot fuller than before while his arms are as same skinny as before. Acturally I am a big fan of Johnny, and feel disappointed about his performance. Over the years I almost read all of his online journals and I don't remember he talked about he is on diet. Most time he would say he eats whatever available around the house. Remember a few pounds can produce three or four time land weight. Look at the two new Japaness guys, they are fit, and jump as light as cat.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Sorry if this was posted already, I don't feel like reading the entire thread, but I read that if MK makes the Olympic team, she may compete in Four Continents in order to get more experience with the new scoring system.