Article: Zhang and Zhang Do the Twist | Golden Skate

Article: Zhang and Zhang Do the Twist

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
China's Dan Zhang and Hao Zhang are among the best when it comes to doing the twist move in pairs. Both their double and triple twist are amazingly high.

More

....sorry I'm so behind on posting

I think this pair is future world championship material. I am a little bit surprised that we do not see more pairs skaters with the body types of the huge muscular man and the tiny little lady.

In some ways Zhang and Zhang are ahead of Pang and Tong, IMO. Tong is musical and elegant compared to the physicality and strength of Hao Zhang.

My favorite quote from the article: Dan Zhang says about her partner, "He is a very good partner and knows how to take care of girls. He knows what they like." Hmm.;)

Mathman

soogar

Record Breaker
Actually Mathman, almost all pairs are unevenly matched with a muscular guy and a very tiny woman.

I think the Chinese pairs are really unusual in that the women are unusually tall. All the other pairs competing have a guy who is 5'10 matched with a girl who is 5'0 whereas the Chinese pairs are composed of girls who are 5'4 and a guy who is 5'9-5'10. China is a big country and there are lots of small 5'0 tall girls to choose from so it's surprising how all of their pairs are structured with girls that are close in height to the guys (at least relatively speaking).

However considering the pressure the Chinese federation puts on the girls to maintain a very light weight to compete in pairs, wouldn't it be better if they selected for smaller women instead of pressuring a 5'6 skater to maintain a weight of 99 pounds (I believe this is Pang). It's a lot easier for a 5'0 skater to be that weight.

Maybe it is hard to guess what a girl's final height will be. I think some of these teams are paired up when they are children, so I am thinking that there might be an unexpected growth spurt after the pair is already set.

I agree that the pressure to maintain a weight under 100 pounds is producing skaters that sometimes look skeletally thin. It's one thing for Tara Lipinski and Kristi Yamaguchi, at barely 5 feet, to be this size, but these taller gilrs look like they need more meat on their bones for good health.

About muscular men, of course all men pairs skaters must have incredible strength and balance to do what they do. But to me skaters like David Pelletier, Anton Sikharulidze and Hongbo Zhao don't look like musclemen and body builders, the way Hao Zhang does. Lloyd Eisler is another skater who, to me, looks the part of a big, strong guy.

Mathman