Artur Gachinski | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Artur Gachinski

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The corgi tissue box cover is being more COVID-safe than all the humans in that picture :palmf:

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
There will be a show for Professor Mishin's 80th birthday on March 6th in SPB and Artur will be there! https://www.instagram.com/p/CK8kR-ppm5l/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
:hb: "Ура!", as the Russians would say. So I head over to the page where you can buy the tickets (I know, travelling to Russia is out of the question at the moment due to the pandemic, but a girl can dream, right?) to check out the announcement. Lo and behold, they have listed all the stars that will be there, Liza and Plushy, Misha Kolyada and Sasha Trusova, yes, even Alina Zagitova! Well, guess who they neglected to mention by name? I get it that Zagitova and co are the big stars who bring in the money right now, but one would think that they could have found a teeny, tiny space for Artur's name on that freakin webpage. Apart from Plushy and together with Liza, Artur is the skater who has been with Mishin for the longest time. He is a National, European and World medallist, wouldn't that warrant at least a mention?
This brings back memories from the Moskvina & Mishin anniversary show in March 2019, where they had an over two hours long TV broadcast of the show the week after. Now guess whose performance they couldn't fit into those two hours of TV? :mad:

Anyway, sorry for ranting into the void. :slink: I'll be off, but not without mentioning that there was at least one fantastic person in the audience that night in March 2019 who captured Artur's skate for posterity. Watch to the end, there is a rather sweet moment.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Anyway, sorry for ranting into the void. :slink:
No rant away! Artur deserves more!

It's really sad what was done to him :( He was hyped up and pressured for years to be the saviour of Russian men, to kick off the next generation of dominance. And when he had one (ONE!) bad performance at Worlds, the Russian Figure Skating Fed ripped him to pieces and their cruelty exists to this day.

I hope one day one of Arthur's students wins Worlds or Olympics! That would be so amazing 🤗

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I hope one day one of Arthur's students wins Worlds or Olympics! That would be so amazing 🤗
Haha, that would be great. Preferably at the 2026 Olympics, when I'll be there (if everything goes as planned) to watch the whole thing live. Soloviov, Loginov, I am counting on you to make coach Artur proud! No pressure though. :ROFLMAO:

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Since we saw Artur at Junior Nats last week as a coach, I thought a throwback to his own junior days would be appropriate this weekend.
Here he is winning the Junior National Championship title in February 2010 in Saransk:

Short Programme

Unfortunately I don't have his FS from this event in my collection and even though I've scoured youtube and vk for it, my quest remains unsuccessful. So if anyone has it or could point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it!

However, I did find the medal ceremony, and it even has two Arturs in it - and a nice fanfare. :ROFLMAO:

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
And fresh from the press we also have a Mishin group photo in honour of the Professor's upcoming 80th birthday:
1613250379817.png
Source

(They look a bit like they are shooting a Russian remake of the Godfather, tbh. :laugh2:)

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
This photo shoot is the gift that keeps on giving! Artur looking very dapper, a gorgeous model indeed! (I somehow can't link the source, it's an insta story thingy from this account).
1613300183325.png

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I was going to post this, but I forgot :laugh:

Seriously though, how gangster does he look? 🥰 This photoshoot is just amazing! I wonder if Mishin came up with the idea?

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I wonder if Mishin came up with the idea?
The Professor was probably chilling out at the rink listening to some of his old playlists and Plushy's Godfather came up. That's where the idea was born...
More pictures turned up, we are getting really spoiled with content! I wonder if this is how the posters in e.g. Alina's fan fest feel all the time. :drama:
Artur mirror selfies:
1613406956773.png

Seriously, if my coach looked at me like that, I'd finally jump that Axel (once rinks are open again). :eek2::ROFLMAO:

Edit: even more photos -> https://www.instagram.com/p/CLVKJ0YJM_M/?igshid=sw4253yomzjk

Last edited:

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
A busy working week is over and another lockdown weekend lies ahead. Luckily, the weather is getting warmer and the days are getting longer where I am, so at least some outdoor activities are possible. The skating season never happened this year, my rink was closed for non-professionals, and the weather allowed for exactly one weekend of outdoor skating. 😭 I suspect I unlearned everything I was able to do on the ice and I will have to start from scratch when hopefully rinks reopen in late summer. :pray: But at least now it is possible again to do some other outdoor sports to keep fit.
Anyway, my personal lamentation was only meant as a preamble to get us to more interesting topics, namely the weekly Artur update - this time "lockdown edition":
I'll start with a lengthy interview from April 2020, in which Artur talks about how he spends lockdown (basically by helping his mother with chores around the house), about the difficulties of online training with bad internet connections in the Russian country side, but also discusses such topics as the state of Russian ladies' figure skating and selection for the national team.

Артур Гачинский фигурист - Exclusive interview with "Sports Day by Day"
On Thursday, the Council of the International Skating Union (ISU) announced the final cancellation of the 2020 World Figure Skating Championships. Because of the coronavirus, of course, if it wasn't. Thus, the 2019/20 season is over. A season in which there was a lot of interesting things. And with whom to start in memories, as not with a well-deserved and respected person - a former athlete, and now a coach.
We are talking about the silver medalist of the European Championship 2012, bronze medalist of the 2011 World Championships, two-time silver medalist of the Russian championships, and now the coach in the group of Alexei and Tatiana Mishin. Yes, it's all about Artur Gachinski....

As mentioned a few posts above, during lockdown Artur also found the time to be a guest on the Russian figure skating podcast Ледокол. People could send in questions via discord and youtube live chat and the whole thing turned out to run over two hours long. My Russian listening comprehension is really not very good so it was hard to follow during the live stream, but after a couple of days the auto-generated subtitles appeared on the youtube video and being able to read while listening helped a lot. Still, I probably misunderstood some things, so take my summary with a grain of salt. The most interesting part was a conversation about the emergence of quads in ladies skating - it actually turned into a rather heated discussion between Artur and Andrei, the host. Artur, from the perspective of a coach, seemed not convinced that so much emphasis should be placed on quads, at least not until it is shown that also post-puberty girls can land them consistently. Rather than working on quads, Artur suggested that ladies could develop other areas of figure skating. He said that even in men's skating the preparation for difficult quads tends to take away from the overall performance of the program. In this train of thought he also expressed his admiration of Jason Brown's skating skills and interpretation in general. And apparently Artur is a big fan of Jason's split jumps :points:.
Another large part of the interview was dedicated to questions about the development of Artur's students. Figure skating really must be a big thing in Russia considering the interest even in novice and junior skating.
Overall, it was a very pleasant podcast, with Artur being at times engaging, at times rather cryptic as we used to know him during his active skating days (he did not want to answer the question about his innermost ambitions as a coach - I guess we can safely assume he is aiming high :biggrin:). If you want to listen you can find the podcast here: https://youtu.be/X_xdZ0UbgHI?

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Addendum to the last post: While typing some of the phrases I didn't understand into google to get a proper translation, I actually found a transcript of the podcast. So if your Russian is as bad as mine, you can read and translate the whole show there.

In honour of the Russian Cup Final coming up this weekend, I decided to post Artur's performances from the only Cup Final he ever attended. It was in the 2012/13 season and he was already struggling, so don't expect massive jumps. Still I enjoyed his performance both in the SP and FS. The Highlander music to this day remains one of my favourite music choices for an SP and when he was into it, Artur interpreted it beautifully. As for the FS, nothing needs to be said really - Artur just was the most charming vampire out there!

SP: The Highlander, Cup of Russia Final 2013

FS: Interview with the Vampire, Cup of Russia Final 2013

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
FS: Interview with the Vampire, Cup of Russia Final 2013
This is the link to the short program, but I found the right one :)

As for the FS, nothing needs to be said really - Artur just was the most charming vampire out there!
A most charming vampire! I was indeed hypnotised ;)

Although every so often I was distracted by the ad on the boards for Kenguru travel. It had a kangaroo on it!

Also the axel sequence made me :laugh: because this is a sequence that makes various skating fans clutch their pearls and it amuses me. ;)

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
This is the link to the short program, but I found the right one :)
Lol, I checked the link and I swear it leads me to the FS. :laugh: But I guess between the links you and me provided, the golden skaters who stray into this thread should be able to find the right video now in any case.
Also the axel sequence made me :laugh: because this is a sequence that makes various skating fans clutch their pearls and it amuses me. ;)
Some people on here get unreasonably triggered by Axel sequences. I for one could watch Artur doing +2A+SEQ for hours, he always does such a cute little hop before going for the sequence Axel. 🐇
Speaking of Axels, the past week saw the Junior Russian Cup finals and one of the participants was Artur's student Semyon Soloviov. He came last in Junior Nationals in the beginning of February due to some botched 3As and obviously some focus was put on the Axel in the subsequent training sessions to fix it for the Cup final. Artur was very animated at the boards demonstrating correct Axel technique. I expected him to jump a 3A right then and there to show Semyon how it's done: https://www.instagram.com/p/CL4na0KJahT/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link.
It's also become kind of a running joke for the Russian commentator to point out that Artur always gives a full and detailed analysis to his skaters in the Kiss & Cry. During the slow-mos he was like, "Well, and here we have a student of Artur Gachinski, so I don't have to say anything, Artur will tell you everything himself". :biggrin: In the end it all paid off, Semyon got the fourth place overall and even won a small bronze medal for the FS (though I don't think they actually give out small medals at the Cup final). Artur also seems to have found his calling in being a coach, nice to see him happy and relaxed at the competitions.
On another topic, tomorrow the show for Mishin's birthday will take place in SPB. Good luck to Artur for his performance! I wonder if they will incorporate some of the pictures from the photo shoot into the show. In the foyer of Yubileyny there is already a big screen showing some of them: https://www.instagram.com/p/CL_qbhEoC1V/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
It was a wonderful gesture of Mishin to let Artur be part of the photo shoot. He was the only "junior" coach there, so it must be quite an honour. Of course Mishin and Artur's relationship goes way back, but they went through some rough patches and with what is currently going on in other parts of the Russian skating world, I appreciate the support that Mishin gave Artur even after the desperate stunt he had pulled with TAT even more.
The TV version of the show will air on Monday, I just hope that they don't cut Artur's skate again.
This brings me to my last point for today. I was checking Channel 78's homepage (where the Mishin show will be broadcast) to see if my vpn works for it (it does) and then out of curiosity I began browsing to see if there is more figure skating content in their archives. Lo and behold, I found Artur in a show called Sports Pro et Contra from February 2020! :biggrin: https://78.ru/images/uploads/1581355197585.mp4 (works without vpn).
Initially I was doubtful, because skimming through the first half of the show there were only some dudes talking about football (soccer for the golden skaters in the US). But for the second half of the show (around 37:30) Artur was in the spotlight and he even talked about skating. Actually they started Artur's part with a rather interesting segment, where they gave him some either/or choices/questions. I'm feeling quite chuffed about my Russian skills now because I understood all of it. Here is what they asked him:

- Opera or ballet? - Artur: Ballet (🥰)
- Figure skating: is it sport or art? - Artur: It is sport and art!
- The Joker or The Irishman? - Artur: The Joker
- Medvedeva or Zagitova? - Artur: *laughs very sweetly* I'll go with a third variant and say Tuktamysheva. (🥰)
- Paris or London? - Artur: London
- Football or (ice) hockey? - Artur: Football (😱)
- Mozart or Bach? - Artur: Bach

For they rest of the show they talk about the Russian near-sweep of the medals at Euros 2020 and their skaters' prospects for Worlds 2020. Alas, it all came differently...

Last edited:

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I apologize for continuing to spam this thread with my ramblings - I go into stupid, crazy fangirl mode whenever I see Artur skate (at this point, I suspect I'll never grow out of it). Here are some snippets of Artur's performance together with the man of scary shirts (aka Sasha Samarin) and they are gold! Sasha is playing Alexei Nikolaevich (complete with voice-over) trying to finally teach Artur some skating skills. See for yourself how it's going:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Videos are from fskatingspb's instagram stories.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sasha is playing Alexei Nikolaevich (complete with voice-over) trying to finally teach Artur some skating
OMG this is glorious! Sasha S is even wearing the old man driving hat! :laugh2: I do hope they archive the show so I can watch it!

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Ooof, so much happened this week, I'll make sections:

Professor Mishin's birthday show:
The Professor's show was a huge success with many distinguished guests, congratulations from all over the world, and lots of media attention. A selection of photos from iraandfox:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CMHCCUnlxRM/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link - Artur's solo
https://www.instagram.com/p/CMFmi_pJ94M/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link - group number from Team Mishin

Local St. Petersburg Channel 78 also streamed a recording of the show on Monday. I was able to screengrab the first 20 minutes without problems, then either my internet connection or my vpn gave up on me. :shrug: So I missed the Samarin/Gachinski double act, but after a lot of stream buffering and swearing at my laptop, I at least got a halfway decent recording of Artur's solo clown number. The video of course belongs to Channel 78 and I'm sharing it here for educational purposes only - How to fall on your 3A and make it all look part of the routine. ;)

They will repeat the show on TV tomorrow, so maybe I'll have better luck with the stream/vpn this time.
The final Team Mishin group number is available on youtube at least: https://youtu.be/IG0yxmI3tnc
Mishin says Спасибо to his students: https://youtu.be/REzAGQ6qwIg

St. Petersburg Novice Championships (elder age):
Artur's student Semion Soloviov won the gold medal with a clean FP and three 3As in total at this week's SPB Novice Championships! And Nikolai Loginov also showed two clean 3As that came out of nowhere and came sixth! The general consensus seems to be that top six go on to Novice Nationals, so Artur can take both of his boys to Sochi in early April. And he himself wasn't even in SPB to bath in the glory of being coach of the newly crowned SPB novice champion, because he personally took his youngest student, little red-head Sasha Chatkina, to Novice Nationals (younger age) in Saransk. He shared a very enthusiastic insta story though (I won't link it, it only disappears anyway, and my workaround is quite laborious as discussed with rollerblade), sending "Congratulations to my boys!" from Saransk. His girls, Sofia Moroz and Eva Kobzar, competed as well and had solid skates. For various reasons, I actually decided not to watch any pre-senior ladies skating anymore, but I had the stream running in the background and I couldn't resist peaking from time to time. And I must say, Sofia Moroz has the most brilliant illusion spin ever. That spin is a thing of beauty!
In general, imo Artur's students have rather enjoyable programs. Nothing over-the-top, very age-appropriate music choices that they are actually able to interpret, and solid levels (Soloviov had all spins at level 4 and a StSq3 in is FP, not sure if any other boy achieved that). So it's all going in the right direction and I guess I can already start to prepare my Team Gachinski banner for the 2026 Olympics. :ROFLMAO:

Interview with Artur (4th March 2021):
As seems to be common practice in Russia, some press person called Artur and asked for his opinion on the recently nominated members of Russia's team for Worlds. The whole thing turned into a full blown interview, which can be found here. I'll just post some choice excerpts:

Interviewer: Alexei Mishin takes three students to the World Cup at once.
Artur: Let it be a gift to him for his birthday. Finally, he waited for this moment. That's his credit. I see how he works every day, how he spends all his time with the guys. It's a cool gift.

I: For six years, Liza did not compete at the world championships. Do you know where she found her fountain of youth?
A: Let's ask her (laughs). Maybe she ate some special ice cream? - Lol, cheeky Artur :laugh2:

I: Plushenko dreams of five quads. And Sasha Trusova now performs only two. When she tries one more quad, she starts to fall.
A: For five quads, the student and coach have a long way to go. And all the same, for this, a good physical readiness is needed, all the pieces must fall into place. Moreover, Zhenya was talking about the Olympics. And we still have to live to see it. But I do not exclude that the plan that Plushenko has in his head will come true.

Interview with Mishin (8th March 2021):
I kept the best for last. 🥰 In all the media hype surrounding his birthday, Alexei Nikolaevich was also asked by an interviewer about his assessment of his students. I'll just leave this here.

Interview from sports.ru:
Figure skating coach Alexei Mishin, who is celebrating his 80th birthday today, spoke about his students.

- As now I remember that little girl from Glazov at the adult championship of Russia 2009, where 12-year-olds Adelina Sotnikova and Liza Tuktamysheva became the best. It's 2021, and Lisa's still with you. Wasn't there a rush to throw everything away?
"In the difficult moments of her career, difficult for our union, I told her: Liza, I will go with you until the very end of the journey. And we are still on this path. Therefore, I think that in my answer sounds the full truth and answer, which has completely exhausted your question."

- After her success in the final of the Russian Cup, you called Liza a statue of Freedom of women's singles skating. And who would you compare your other students with?
"Evgeni Plushenko can most likely be compared to the tank that went forward. And what crunched under it? The bones of his rivals.
Urmanov in the heyday of his talent was probably Jesus Christ of figure skating. He skated immaculately, flawlessly. [...]
If we talk about Lesha Yagudin, I think we should answer him with the words in the title of his book - he went ahead.
Well, and Artur Gachinski... All the skaters I listed were artists of their craft. Artur Gachinski was superior to them all. Yes."

-Explain, please.
"You know, the fact is that when you approach the assessment of a person's talent and artistic talent, it is completely inappropriate to mix into this assessment places and medals. And if we disregard these medals, the longevity in figure skating, the brightness of victories, a slightly different picture is formed. But it's distorted. If we speak refined, Artur was the one with the most striking talent among my students."