Asian Cinema + Wong Kar Wai fan thread! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Asian Cinema + Wong Kar Wai fan thread!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
What a nice surprising thread. I have been a big fan of WKW since the early 90s and considers the secret to his success is actually his Oz Cinematographer Christopher Doyle, and the excellent use of music sound tracks that is certainly character building and quintessential to the overall unique visual experience. WKW is like HK street rat version of Terrence Malick with a wicked eye, better sense of humour and cooler DJ deck & sense of urban rhythm while on ecstasy.

His best work includes Ashes of Time (not appreciated by all, but i totally adored it), Chunking Express (One of the greatest Cult classic of ALL TIME: best in the 4 leads careers, and cemented Brigitte Lin's legendary status) that are appealing because of freshness and fiercely experimental, pure untrying authentic vision. His later works are incoherent self-reverent overflow with gratuitous grandioses they became spoilt (omission of Doyle's contribution is blatant too). A lot of film maker are guilty of this in their later work. His last decent film is probably In the mood for Love, which has one of the great OST of all time.

-----------

While on the subject of Asian film director, I adore Ang Lee's earlier work for the Wedding banquet and of course Eat Drink Man Woman.

Last edited:

luckyguy

Match Penalty
I love Wong Kar-Wai but I must admit that I love the films by Zhang Yimou more, especially Red Sorghun (红高粱), Raise of the Red Lantern (大红灯笼高高挂), Hero (英雄) and House of Flying Daggers (十面埋伏). His films are so beautiful like the best paintings and the stories he narrates are overwhelming.

And did you see Lust, Caution (色,戒) by Ang Lee? Simply wonderful.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I really liked Lust, Caution though some of the scenes were hard to watch. I actually saw it at the movie theater -- I was surprised my local movie house actually played it despite the NC-17 rating.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
I grew up on movies with Jackie Chan like many others. :) And still in my top 20 films of all time - Fearless hyena (1979). Simple and wonderful.