Bad move!!!! | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Bad move!!!!

debdelilah

On the Ice
Well, I guess for some folks there's no pleasure like knocking Sasha for the thousandth time. :sheesh:

I didn't mean it as a knock to Sasha. Actually, I haven't been watching figure skating long enough to knock Sasha with any expertise, even if I wanted to. :agree:

I didn't mean it as a knock to Sasha. Actually, I haven't been watching figure skating long enough to knock Sasha with any expertise, even if I wanted to. :agree:
Sorry, debdelilah, I don't think we were referring to you. At least I certainly wasn't!

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm not sure where anyone's getting the idea that she is being "knocked". As far as I'm concerned, though, I really don't care who's doing it- I find it a rather unattractive position in general. Some look even worse than others, but you get the idea- hopefully.

A close second would be that, umm "head-toe spin" or whatever it's called (where the skater spins around holding the skate blade close to her head...don't like that one either. Don't have time to look for a pic, though.)

Last edited:

MKFSfan

Medalist
^^I agree. While I don't mind a good Y-spin (Alissa's comes immediately to mind!), I don't like the I-spin/side-catch/beaver-cleaver or whatever you want to call it.

Most don't do it well. I saw someone at US Nats - I think it was Nagasu or Flatt but I'm not sure - who did it, but very slowly, losing the effect. Others just don't have the stretch - e.g., MK, Kimmie. When done fast with full stretch, it's a dazzler. I won't mention names.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Actually, the I-spin was not what I was referring to :laugh: although I realize my description was rather general. It's some kind of contortion move where the skater has one leg on the ice and twirls around forming a circle with the blade and her head...yuck. I think Elene whats-her-name does this move.

As for the I-spin, it's not that great, but I don't hate it either.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But IMO she had the best Ina Bauer (is that what it's called?)...one of the moves I DO like a lot.

:agree: I wonder if anyone could disagree with that. I have never see a picture even of a better Ina Bauer than hers.

This what you are referring to?
IMG_4060.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q206/seanibu/Photo_08.jpg

It is seeming as the blade placement is the most important factor in this element, just the slightest arch of the back and the blades in generally the right spots and it is an Ina.???? Rachael's prior to her 2a was very lackluster to be noticeable as one. I do feel that it would be EXTREMELY hard to do this before a jump and can see why it was not "comparable" to someone such as Shi-chan does.

R.D.

Record Breaker
yes, that's what I mean...but I think she did a simpler one where she wasn't hunched back. That was nice, too. I look forward to seeing more of her in her pro career.

rain

Record Breaker
:agree: I wonder if anyone could disagree with that. I have never see a picture even of a better Ina Bauer than hers.

I disagree with that. I am not a fan of Arakawa's Ina Bauer. I think she arches her back too much and it ruins the line of the move. I do like the move itself, however.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I disagree with that. I am not a fan of Arakawa's Ina Bauer. I think she arches her back too much and it ruins the line of the move. I do like the move itself, however.

Thanks for voicing that. I would have never thought the arch was too much, but I 'spose that is why I "doubted" it, not said "no one could" disagree. Maybe others feel the same way??? Maybe an example of how arched you think it should be and how much it needs to be to be considered an Ina Bauer would be nice to share.

Not saying wrong or right to either, perception I feel at this point. I still have a hard time thinking Red Dog doesn't like the Charlotte. That shocks me, but I believe him, just surprised me to hear from a few in particular.

What makes an Ina count? I get the blades and fore knee and back leg seem consistent, but how much does the skater need to arch? Any?

MKFSfan

Medalist
Most don't do it well. I saw someone at US Nats - I think it was Nagasu or Flatt but I'm not sure - who did it, but very slowly, losing the effect. Others just don't have the stretch - e.g., MK, Kimmie. When done fast with full stretch, it's a dazzler. I won't mention names.

I don't think either Nagasu or Flatt did a Y-spin, although Nagasu does an I-spin that needs to be stretched out further. Likewise, I think Michelle and Kimmie have good Y-spins, and I don't think either have included an I-spin in their programs. IMO, Alissa has the best Y-spin, and front catch I-spin, while Sasha has the best side catch I-spin.

RD-do you mean that "head-banger" move, that is like a one rotation illusion spin? I hate that-seems like everyone either does that or the stop-karate kick-go move in the FW, thanks to COP.

Seanibu said:
What makes an Ina count? I get the blades and fore knee and back leg seem consistent, but how much does the skater need to arch? Any?
I think the only way to get a IB to count has less to do with the actual move as what it precedes, meaning the best way is to step into a jump (as a transitional move) but I don't think there is any one way to do that element to garner high marks. Shiz's IB is so impressive because she has deep edges, deep bend, covers a lot of ice and then used it as an enterance to her 3salc/2toe combo (I think). So, if done well, she should get +GOEs on that combo/jump.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
RD-do you mean that "head-banger" move, that is like a one rotation illusion spin? I hate that-seems like everyone either does that or the stop-karate kick-go move in the FW, thanks to COP.

I think you might need to show me an example pic...I think I know what you're getting at, but want to make sure we're on the same page before I say yes.

To clarify: I saw a bad I-spin at Nats (and it sounds like maybe it WAS Nagasu - did she run out of steam and squeeze out a couple of circles at the end?). That's the one Michelle and Kimmie really don't have the stretch to do. Yes, Michelle's Y-spin is great. Don't recall KM's.

MKFSfan

Medalist
RedDog, not sure about a picture to share-is the move you are talking about part of FW or a spin?

SpunSilver: OK-I think then it was Nagasu that had the fizzled out, not fully stretched I-spin! At least, that's what I thought of it. There were a few attempts at an side catch/I-spin, and IMO, only Bebe's was imressive.

Michelle has never attempted an I-spin that I've seen, but I think she has the stretch for it:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/events/200506/marshallschallenge/kwan-extension.jpg
;) But I agree this is a better move when the skater is built more up and down and with longer torsos like Sasha, Alissa and Shiz.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
RedDog, not sure about a picture to share-is the move you are talking about part of FW or a spin?

This is what Shizuka did about half way though her Olys LP? Like a single "leg whip" - one rotation illusion?

btw, thanks for the pic. I think every time I see "practice wear" how much I really would love to see the SPs all in that type of "dress attire." :love: :love: :love: I am more of a gatherer of practice footage then anything. That Tugba on the other thread was awesome too. The human figure is so beautiful and should be appreciated untainted IMO, and that type of attire really shows the true beauty of the human shape with no distractions from shape form and line. Nothing rivals it IMO and nothing better to see the lines in their purity then those types of outfits.:rock: but I feel I am alone and still very happy with what they do wear - so be it.:yes:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
This is what Shizuka did about half way though her Olys LP? Like a single "leg whip" - one rotation illusion?

btw, thanks for the pic. I think every time I see "practice wear" how much I really would love to see the SPs all in that type of "dress attire." :love: :love: :love: I am more of a gatherer of practice footage then anything. That Tugba on the other thread was awesome too. The human figure is so beautiful and should be appreciated untainted IMO, and that type of attire really shows the true beauty of the human shape with no distractions from shape form and line. Nothing rivals it IMO and nothing better to see the lines in their purity then those types of outfits.:rock: but I feel I am alone and still very happy with what they do wear - so be it.:yes:

I can't pull it up now, but watch Yukina Nakano's FS this year--during her O fw she does that single-rotation illusion. She doesn't do it well.