Best Ladies' 3Lutz ever? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Best Ladies' 3Lutz ever?

Globetrotter

Medalist
With Frank she became a complete skater, the whole package, but I miss her huge jumps now:( Control is good, but...

Thats the part about Gold that to me was always a pity. Yes, she became more refined, she skates prettier, she is packaged more nicely but what made her so exciting to watch and the raw potential from her big athleticism was gone.

russianbratz

Match Penalty
With Frank she became a complete skater, the whole package, but I miss her huge jumps now:( Control is good, but...
I'm not sure I agree with that. She fell on a lot of triple lutzes last season. And her skating is still pretty stiff overall. I like her spiral, and she's a very good spinner. But her in between skating lacks grace and flow.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I'm not sure I agree with that. She fell on a lot of triple lutzes last season. And her skating is still pretty stiff overall. I like her spiral, and she's a very good spinner. But her in between skating lacks grace and flow.

In comparison with some skating girls, she is very graceful. But really, she is going in right direction. And speaking of falling on her jumps..this sport is risky. You have to take risks at times to be the best. Look at Liza now (she fell, skipped her combinations and jumps in previous years). Look at Adelina! I ALWAYS thought, for real, that Gracie and Adelina are very similar, comparable..And both had mental problems on ice during competitions. I was more frustrated with Adelina, because it always seemed to me that if I had to choose who will get her nerves in check more likely, a surer bet would be Gracie. And look how it turned out - Adelina won ONE most important competition skating 2 almost clean programs, that she's never done in YEARS. I thought that the road is open for Gracie as the 4th place finisher, but oh I was wrong. It's not about that sometimes skaters fall - it's about concentration, control, TIME. And the skater, imho, never must abate difficulty in expectation to skate clean after that. You have to do your thing, to skate what you can and watch how it will turn out.

Last edited:

Krunchii

Record Breaker

I agree, she's good at each individual element but she can't bring the entire package together, like good jumps, good spins, nice back and extension on the spiral but it's all lacking when it comes together

hurrah

Medalist
I was looking for a Julia Sebestyen clip and found this compilation :love:

That is a beautiful compilation, and Julia Sebastyen's lutz is very beautiful indeed. I'm so glad the compilation includes Miki's 3lutz-3loop combination as well as Carolina's lutz. Looking at the compilation, honestly, Yuna had a toe hammer. It wasn't that distracting because the rest of her jump was brilliant, and at that time, she was the only female jumper that could add a 3toeloop as the second jump in a combination without under-rotating frequently.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
That is a beautiful compilation, and Julia Sebastyen's lutz is very beautiful indeed. I'm so glad the compilation includes Miki's 3lutz-3loop combination as well as Carolina's lutz. Looking at the compilation, honestly, Yuna had a toe hammer. It wasn't that distracting because the rest of her jump was brilliant, and at that time, she was the only female jumper that could add a 3toeloop as the second jump in a combination without under-rotating frequently.

I wouldn't say Yuna has a toe hammer. Or rather, there is a small one but I think that's the part of the technique. I don't really think taking off with a fully streched leg would be efficient. I am not a figure skater though, so I just assume that.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I wouldn't say Yuna has a toe hammer. Or rather, there is a small one but I think that's the part of the technique. I don't really think taking off with a fully streched leg would be efficient. I am not a figure skater though, so I just assume that.
I don't think that a "toe hammer" is about wether the leg is streched or not, it's about how high that free leg goes before it picks. But saying that Yuna has a "toe hammer" is really a lese majesty. It doesn't reach hip level, so I think it's fine. But it's true that her take-off is not as elegant as f.e. Elizaveta's.

Last edited:

begin

Medalist
I agree, she uses more force in her pick but I wouldn't call it a hammer foot.

And to be fair, young Yuna had an amazingly efficient lutz but her jumps changed in 2008-2009 after the major growth spurt and things looked "heavier" on her. While she gained back some of the lightness in 2011 (imo her peak year physically), I don't think Yuna's jumps have been quite so effortless since.

Globetrotter

Medalist
I agree, she uses more force in her pick but I wouldn't call it a hammer foot.

And to be fair, young Yuna had an amazingly efficient lutz but her jumps changed in 2008-2009 after the major growth spurt and things looked "heavier" on her. While she gained back some of the lightness in 2011 (imo her peak year physically), I don't think Yuna's jumps have been quite so effortless since.

I would say that Yuna's lutz whether younger or older was always a positive demo example. Right edge, good speed, good coverage, nice overall quality. Tuks and Tonya Harding have bigger lutzes and more impressive looking jumps but it is almost certain that they had special talents. Yuna's jumps on the other hand look like they are more achievable from good training habits and a good jump coach. The young Yuna looked more fearless and had more power but I always felt that her skating then looked clunky. Perhaps she wasn't the most flexible skater but she achieved much better refinement and SS by the time Vancouver came along and it was the sheer confidence and enjoyment she exuded on the ice that granted her the high PCS. I think Yuna has the best take off and entrance into the lutz but in terms of flow out of the jumps, I much prefer Caro Kostner's lutz.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think that a "hammer toe" is about wether the leg is streched or not, it's about how high that free leg goes before it picks. But saying that Yuna has a "hammer toe" is really a lese majesty. It doesn't reach hip level, so I think it's fine. But it's true that her take-off is not as elegant as f.e. Elizaveta's.

What is a hammer toe? Is that the same as a mallet foot?