Best Triple Axel (Men) by Olympic Cycle | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Best Triple Axel (Men) by Olympic Cycle

bronwynsings

Rinkside
Denis Ten's triple axels have to get a mention, especially during 2013 Worlds. They have fantastic height and great air position.

lbc2138

On the Ice
I also disagree with the choice of Hanyu for the 10-14 quad. But I realise I'm in the very, very tiny minority that isn't actually over the moon about his skating, so there's not a lot of point arguing, is there?

We're not talking about Yuzu's skating, we're talking about his triple axel. And even if people don't like his skating, you've got to admit he has one of the most effortless and consistent triple axels within the last quad and probably this quad too.

Han Yan comes at a close second though I only ding him because of consistency.

annca

On the Ice
We're not talking about Yuzu's skating, we're talking about his triple axel. And even if people don't like his skating, you've got to admit he has one of the most effortless and consistent triple axels within the last quad and probably this quad too.

:agree: :clap:

Wo|flax

Final Flight

I think Yuzuru has the best overall, but others are better at parts of it like just distance(Han Yan), or height(Artur), posture on exit consistently(Denis), or even just consistency if we only take the last season into account(Kovtun). And I think Farris has comparable ease with it. But the moment you add difficult entry and talk about things overall over the entire last quad, I think it's Yuzuru.

EDIT: actually Kovtun doesn't belong on here; last season he wasn't more consistent than Yuzu on 3A (he popped it in an SP)
thanks CSG

Meoima

Match Penalty
I also disagree with the choice of Hanyu for the 10-14 quad. But I realise I'm in the very, very tiny minority that isn't actually over the moon about his skating, so there's not a lot of point arguing, is there?!
It's not about whether you like his skating or not. It's about 3A in term of height and distant overall. And it's about common sense because when thing is good, it's good and it's hard to say otherwise.
Just like what if you dislike Angelina Jolie but it's objectively true that she is beautiful.
It's the same with P.Chan, you can dislike him as much as you want, but in term of skating skills you have to count him in.
I am not Han Yan's fan, but I am very eager to say his jumps, especially 3As are impressive.
I am not Adelina's fan either, but I have no problem saying she has the best jumps out of all top ladies currently, now that Yuna, Mao, Caro have all sit out and Liza Tuk is not ready to come back.

jennyanydots

On the Ice
Johnny Weir's 3A was gorgeous. Plushenko's is of course impressive but I've never liked how he lands his jumps. I just prefer pretty well-extended landings. Daisuke doesn't get that much flow on his landings. The ease and flow of Yuzuru's 3A is amazing along with all those different entrances. Han Yan's 3A is also definitely a beauty.

AprilS

On the Ice
Hey there, so I was wondering what the average consistency of a 3A for men is? I decided to start on Hanyu's since I was most curious about his 3A consistency :p
I wasn't too sure what to count messed up 3A combinations as so...
If the 3A was fine but only the second part of the combination was messed up, then counting the proceeding 3A as a "success" (since we're talking about 3As here, not 3A combinations)
At all senior competitions: 69/73 = 95% success
At all Senior ISU competitions: 61/64 = 95% success
At only ISU grand prix + ISU championships: 51/52 = 98% success

Counting messed up 3A combinations as a "failed 3A," even if the 3A itself was fine:
At all senior competitions: 67/73 = 92% success
At all Senior ISU competitions: 59/64 = 92% success
At only ISU grand prix + ISU championships: 49/52 = 94% success

I'd like to do the other mens' but it's a bit of work...so does anyone care to try for the others? :yay: (Off season boredom)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Plushenko's is of course impressive but I've never liked how he lands his jumps. I just prefer pretty well-extended landings. Daisuke doesn't get that much flow on his landings.
Are we watching the same thing? :scratch: Plushenko has a well-extended free leg and lighter landings than anyone else from 1998-2006 (I can see handing 3A to Yagudin on basis of sheer size, but not in terms of landing). Dai has great flow; his problem is his jumps don't have the height and distance of most top level skaters, and that's led to URs/two-foots by the end of his run (URs and two-foots, admittedly, don't tend not to flow very well... but we're talking 2006-10 Dai, not the 2014 version).

unico

Final Flight
I would also vote for Oda for the 06-10 quad. Oda's knee-bend, the flow, how he holds his posture after landing to "sell the jump", sooo good. Jin-seo Kim's deep knee-bend at this year's world reminded me a bit of Oda, actually.

Oh look, a compilation of Oda's 3A.

sunnybear

Rinkside
I'm partial to Hanyu's 3As because it's one of his most consistent jumps and they have great quality (his landings are very smooth). Also, I really like his entries into the 3A.

Spread eagle to 3A

Difficult entry in PW (I have no idea what you call this entry...^^;)

Honourable mention: Han Yan. The height and distance of his 3A is just insane. :eek:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Yay, 4 votes for Nobu <3

HanDomi said:
He introduced something new you can do with 3A with extremely difficult entry. That's something that others were not doing and are not doing right now.

I might be wrong, but I think Midori did the same (or at least a similar move) before her 2A's. It's still special and I doubt we'll see other skaters managing an entrance like that soon. His spread eagle-counter before the 2nd 3A in his LP was even better! :love:

sunnybear

Rinkside
Yay, 4 votes for Nobu <3

I might be wrong, but I think Midori did the same (or at least a similar move) before her 2A's. It's still special and I doubt we'll see other skaters managing an entrance like that soon. His spread eagle-counter before the 2nd 3A in his LP was even better! :love:

Bit unrelated to this thread but I couldn't help but notice that Yuna Aoki did a similar entry to her 2A. (Skip to 01:32)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Exactly the reason I didn't pick Yagudin. His 3A looked forced, and his landings kinda heavy. He is a better choice than Stojko though, especially the 1998-2002 Stojko (who's a distant fourth at best behind Plushenko, Yagudin, and Eldredge... heck, would be a distant fourth even if he'd competed against them in his prime).

:thumbsup: who looked at my links can see it.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
:thumbsup: who looked at my links can see it.
I would say the best 3A of the bunch you linked to was Plushy's in Sabre Dance (last link). So good that I'll even forgive you for making me listen to that ear-bleed music again. :laugh: