Blades for the Brave benefit for healthcare workers, April 17, 8pm ET | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Blades for the Brave benefit for healthcare workers, April 17, 8pm ET

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I loved it! They need to go into commentary after retirement, NBC needs new commentators in the future for sure.

Jason would be that absolutely super-excited commentator like Ted on sugar!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
that seemed sudden.:scratch2: I miss them all. (even the ones who were retired who I stopped missing:biggrin:)

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Well, I didn't know you guys were over here. I posted a short comment on the Fan Fest. It was an interesting and fun program and I hope they made a lot of money for Americares. Jason in the pjs was totally hilarious. I loved that! We didn't get to see what Gracie is wearing under that gold sequin blazer! Her mother was amazing! She was so genuine and everything she said is true for the people at the front lines. It's terrifying and they push through it the best that they can. Jason and Gracie made a good team and did a very good job. And there were some very entertaining segments. Star Wars for sure, Cain and LeDuc in the woods, Elvis on the "quad" and Kurt on those blades! I wanted Brian's cocktail. Yes I did! I don't have grapefruit juice or orange either. I have a lemon! And honey, but no gin. I think all I have is white wine and some dry sherry. Maybe some orange brandy. Not sure. Oh and rum. Starting to sound good, actually! Good night all!

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh dang it, I missed this whole thing after being so excited I could watch it! I fail at time zones so hard.

Oh well, at least the YouTube stream is still available to watch.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
That was great! :) I'm so glad that the stream was posted to YouTube. I thought that Gracie and Jason did a very good job hosting - They played off each other well. I particularly enjoyed Ashley and Tim's performance, and Kurt's performance - best feet in the business! :)

Bord

Rinkside
where were???

Oh dang it, I missed this whole thing after being so excited I could watch it! I fail at time zones so hard.

Hi, thank you for your effort.
I was wondering why adam rippon, mirah nagusu, mariah bell.. and so many favorites were not in it? did they get invited? did they not get invited? is it all based on fees or agents? back story please

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hi, thank you for your effort.
I was wondering why adam rippon, mirah nagusu, mariah bell.. and so many favorites were not in it? did they get invited? did they not get invited? is it all based on fees or agents? back story please

None of us know, and it's unlikely that any of us will know. But Adam and Mirai, I believe, will be part of the Live Ice show next weekend, as will Jason.

If we are talking of why certain skaters are not invited to shows, I have longer and harder grievances than just who did not participate in a collection of Youtube clips for charity.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks to karne for mentioning the Open Ice live fundraiser, which will be on Saturday April 25 at 2 pm ET.

It is for the benefit of the UN Foundation's COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund.

This project was conceived by Kaitlyn Weaver, who is putting it together with the assistance of Jordan Cowan of On Ice Perspectives.

In an Insta Live a couple of days ago, Kaitlyn said that approx. fifty skaters will take part in the Open Ice show, lasting about three hours.

Hats off to everyone who appeared in Blades for the Brave to support Americares and COVID-19 health care workers.

My special respect to Gracie's mother :bow:, who spoke so powerfully about her firsthand experience as a nurse on the front lines caring for COVID-19 patients.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I caught some of the replay on Youtube - really enjoyed Gracie and Jason as emcees - her calmer energy with some snark thrown in is a perfect counterbalance to Jason's eternal sunniness. And you can tell they have known each other forever.

The event itself was a mixed bag - I'm sorry to say but Miki Ando can't sing - I had to fast forward. I really enjoyed the routine that Ashley and Tim did off ice with those fantastic lifts and it was nice to see them live for a few. I also enjoyed the Knierims and Jeremy Abbott's dance moves. Oddly, I had already seen three of those performances in person - Jeremy and Rohene's were from a Summer 2018 show that Tara Modlin produced (she also organized this one) at the Westchester Skating Academy. They couldn't get the Prince music (surprise, surprise) cleared for Rohene's performance. The third performance was Melissa and Denis from Brookfield Place last December.

If you want to see the full Rohene performance with the Prince music - I have it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tzTp7GLrCk&t=65s.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I caught some of the replay on Youtube - really enjoyed Gracie and Jason as emcees - her calmer energy with some snark thrown in is a perfect counterbalance to Jason's eternal sunniness. And you can tell they have known each other forever.

The event itself was a mixed bag - I'm sorry to say but Miki Ando can't sing - I had to fast forward. I really enjoyed the routine that Ashley and Tim did off ice with those fantastic lifts and it was nice to see them live for a few. I also enjoyed the Knierims and Jeremy Abbott's dance moves. Oddly, I had already seen three of those performances in person - Jeremy and Rohene's were from a Summer 2018 show that Tara Modlin produced (she also organized this one) at the Westchester Skating Academy. They couldn't get the Prince music (surprise, surprise) cleared for Rohene's performance. The third performance was Melissa and Denis from Brookfield Place last December.

If you want to see the full Rohene performance with the Prince music - I have it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tzTp7GLrCk&t=65s.

Jeremy's music must have not gotten copyright cleared either because when they showed the clip of him skating, that definitely wasn't the music to Peanut Butter Jelly by Galantis, which he originally skated in SOI 2016.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Caught the replay today. The most mesmerizing performances, IMO, were Ashley and Tim's in the woods ... their lifts are looking so good ... and Michelle Kwan's skating (inline? roller blade?) on a parking lot. They're all three gorgeous artists, and said such heart felt words. As did most of the participants, but those two performances really stood out for me, if you like emotion and artistry. :love:

Denise Gold's communication was so vulnerable and effective. Just saying what she feels every day and expressed so beautifully, on behalf of every health care worker around the world who's serving in this time. They're real heroes.

I'm also really glad for how everyone kept repeating "Please stay home." Because that's what the rest of us can contribute.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I had to actually set my alarm.