Brian Boitano announces he's gay before trip to Sochi | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Brian Boitano announces he's gay before trip to Sochi

louisa05

Final Flight
I think the ideal person would have admitted he were gay long ago, tho everyone knows pretty much they can't blab it in any area, esp. figure skating, due to USFS desire not to be known as the gay sport for men. I don't/have not followed this whem there was a huge thread in politics which was closed, so I was very surprised about it.

Could someone give a synopsis how this came to be in Russia? Because I honestly do not know. The timing of the law was bad, that was obvious. Why not Rudy Galindo? Brian won an OGM but is that even impt?

The delegation that Brian has been appointed to includes officials and former Olympians. Rudy was never an Olympian.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think the ideal person would have admitted he were gay long ago ...

??? Disagree. An "ideal" person??? And I hate the word "admitted" in this context. Maybe your implication was not intentional, but being gay is nothing to be ashamed of.

What Boitano does in his private life is none of my business. In an "ideal" world, he would not be judged for whether -- or when -- he made any comments on his sexuality.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
??? Disagree. An "ideal" person??? And I hate the word "admitted" in this context. Maybe your implication was not intentional, but being gay is nothing to be ashamed of.

What Boitano does in his private life is none of my business. In an "ideal" world, he would not be judged for whether -- or when -- he made any comments on his sexuality.

admitted is a very neutral, generic word, golden. nitpicking. I don't have a thesaurus and nothing was implied by the word, so I don't accept your implication. I agree Brian can be out there or not. I really don't care. Fine with me. The question I had was answered. Rudy, an ideal choice, ideal is a bad word because????Sorry, don't see why, because of his whole life story. But, big but, he was not an Olympian, but neither was Billie Jean. or did they have tennis in her day at Olympics? She is a summer sport, too. Greg Louganis would be another outspoken athlete who fought sterotypes and AIDS like Rudy.

But whoever they send is fine. It isn't going to change a thing in Russia, but it does make a good human rights statement.

But we must be honest-why DID Brian refuse to come out? It would have hurt his career-Amateur and Pro, and Carmen might have used a diff. male opposite Witt. He did what he had to do. Galindo felt differently, and I have to admire his stance at the time.

got to get some calls done but sincerely would like synopsis re putin, this law and why now? are evangelicals getting very strong in Russia as religious freedoms open up??

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Brian is a super private guy-heck, he shared nothing about his parents, let alone about his love life, for years. I wasn't ever sure he had living parents for years.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

Which is what he stated in his release - he wants to be known for his professional accomplishments NOT his private life. Unfortunately we're fighting a losing battle. In this day and age people think we are entitled every little detail of a "celebrity"'s life. :disapp:

noskates

Record Breaker
This "news" about Brian - isn't news. And I seriously doubt President Obama or anyone else could force him to come out publically if he chose not to. I don't know where people are assuming this is White House-driven! What does make me mad is that politics are impacting what should be an athletic event. Nothing that Brian or any other American gay athlete says is going to make one whit of difference in Russian politics. It's just going to bring condemnation down on the US, propagate the notion that all male figure skaters are gay, and make the US look yet again like they're putting their nose in another country's business. I don't care if Brian or Johnny or any other "out or still in" the closet sleeps with giraffes!!! It isn't my business or anybody else's - it's personal to the individual.

And the argument that gay people are hiding in Russia so they won't be harmed could also apply to certain groups of people here in the US. The bullying and harassment of gay children and teens in the schools for example that have led to suicides. If I had a preference (and I probably don't) I would prefer that people like Brian (who I really like) would put their time and effort into resolving some of the problems in their own country and stay out of other countries business. Be a role model to someone who is struggling with their identity. Show that a gay man or woman can be very successful in whatever occupation they are involved in. Work toward strengthening the laws concerning bullying and harassment and physical harm to these young people. Work to educate teachers and doctors and whatevers in how to deal with these problems.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
True Toni, but haven't you heard? No such thing as bad publicity. Just ask Johnny Weir or the Kardashians. Now, famous people with no talent are famous and make money off that fame. Most celebrities crave that fame, do nude scenes, then resent papparazi when they take a bad photo. Most modern day celebs are well...I won't say it. But don't pity them as they pout all the way to the bank!

I wish we had real TV not reality TV. There was a time where we could not avoid Paris Hilton, the Kardashians, then Lohan. What does this say about our culture? I think it says we are losing it to trash TV, video games and worse.

Brian had to deny his sexuality to have a career. I never knew (broken gaydar!) re either Brian-just loved their showdown!

Brian is a super private guy-heck, he shared nothing about his parents, let alone about his love life, for years. I wasn't ever sure he had living parents for years.

This is the impression I always got from him, and it's his prerogative to keep anything and everything to himself. What he shared with us was his skating talent. Everyone is going to have a different approach to life, and Rudy Galindo chose to reveal more than Boitano did. That doesn't mean that either one of these impressive guys is the only possible role model, or that some other great athlete who remained silent and hidden for his whole life was somehow in the wrong. How does any of us know what the pressures on these public figures are or were?

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Brian was on TV a few years ago, asked if he has a girlfriend, the kind that you do not braid hair with, and he said he hadn't met the right woman yet. Why can't he be proud Mary then?
Unless he's there to kill Snowden while homosexual, I don't see the point of this sudden declaration.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
As much as people want to call him a "pawn", clearly he's being a delegate of his own free will, and with the obvious intent of being an LGBT delegate. While one might wish he came out prior to this (so that haters can stop crowing that this is some sort of agenda), I'm glad he has came out and (along with BJK) is a clear slap in the face to Putin/Russia's backwards policies. Oh, you discriminate against LGBT people? Well one of the major countries competing is sending LGBT individuals to represent us. And what are you going to do about it?

It's also hilarious that some people are like "sending gay athletes won't amount to anything", when it clearly is sending a message. Good on the Obama administration for choosing these athletes, and good on these athletes for bravely going into what's clearly a hostile, prejudiced environment as representatives of the US.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Nobody is doing anything for nothing, gay or proud. He has an upcoming show on HGTV or something to promote, yes?
curious announcement by curious figure.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Nobody is doing anything for nothing, gay or proud. He has an upcoming show on HGTV or something to promote, yes?
curious announcement by curious figure.

Yes. Clearly he's attending the Sochi Games to promote his HGTV show, and that is precisely why the Obama administration selected him for said task. :sarcasm:

ice coverage

Record Breaker

If Boitano's motive were self-promotion (I strongly believe that it is NOT), why did he not make an official statement back when his cooking show was about to launch or when his cookbook was about to be published? If publicity were Boitano's only goal, his cooking show especially would have benefited (because it first established the non-skating side of his identity).

FlattFan

Match Penalty
If Boitano's motivation were self-promotion (I strongly believe that it is not), why did he not make an official statement back when his cooking show was about to launch or when his cookbook was about to be published? If publicity were Boitano's only goal, his cooking show especially would have benefited (because it first established the non-skating side of his identity).

No one would give a crap back then.
Now, it's Sochi Olympics. It's gay vs. goliath. It's the main event. You announce during this time, your name reaches a billion people. That's why.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
So, any athlete that comes out between now and Sochi is doing it for self-promotion then? :eek:hwell: Clearly, all closeted athletes must remain so until the Olympics are over lest they be deemed as trying to "capitalize" on a hot issue. :sarcasm:

This may come as a surprise, but people come out at different times and for different reasons. Unless an athlete is decades past their hay-day, it seems any time they come out or have personal news it's seen as for publicity purposes.

I'll be awaiting the day people come out and everyone shrugs their shoulders, and it ends up as "meh"-worthy as Obama telling people he's part black.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Considering it's not the very first thing or even the key point of his statement, I don't think he's flaming and flag waving. He says that yes it's a part of him, but not why he feels he's a good candidate to be a delegate. He didn't come out before now because it's not anyone's business, and it still isn't but since folks are asking - yes he is.

I'm not seeing some ulterior motive or any such thing here.