British and Irish Figure skating 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Wondering whether Eurosport Player is showing Worlds? Just did a search for the schedule and zero programmes came up? 🤐

Hoping it's just too early for listings, but worrying nonetheless. 😔🤕

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Wondering whether Eurosport Player is showing Worlds? Just did a search for the schedule and zero programmes came up? 🤐

Hoping it's just too early for listings, but worrying nonetheless. 😔🤕

Don't worry, they are showing it both on the linear channels and on the Player.

Here is the Figure Skating page on the Eurosport Player website:

https://www.eurosportplayer.com/sport/figure-skating

Might you have been looking at the separate Olympic Figure Skating page that we had for Beijing?

By the way, now that Discovery's shareholders have approved their takeover of Warner Media, the Chief Financial Officer of Discovery has confirmed that HBO Max and Discovery+ will indeed be merged into one service. But, he says it will take a while to get the new service up and running.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/hb...combined-streaming-service-bundle-1235204060/
https://variety.com/2022/tv/global/hbo-max-discovery-plus-international-1235205397/

So, it looks like my theory about why they haven't fully closed down the Eurosport Player yet is correct. Because there is yet another new service coming along, they are just letting subscribers continue on the service they are currently on until the combined service is ready. And then have everybody migrate onto the combined service.

Boys, but I am glad that I just let my Eurosport Player subscription auto-renew rather than cancel it and take up the half-price offer on DIscovery+. Because it would be such a nuisance to have to switch services twice in less than a year.

On the other hand, it could work out a lot more expensive. Hopefully they will structure the combined service in such a way that those of us that are subscribing purely for the Eurosport content are not facing a huge price rises due to things we are not interested in being added (yes, I am thinking about the football from BT Sport).

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thanks for all the Eurosport info @CaroLiza_fan :thank::thank:

Good Luck to Junior Team Icicles competing at Junior World Synchro in Innsbruck. :hap10::hap10:

The Short Program is starting after the introductions

I was just remembering how this was the last ISU event to take place in Nottingham before the worldwide lockdown for the pandemic. Some countries ordered their teams to WD and return home immediately between the SP and FS, like Spain, I remember. But we got through it till complete. Then every other event was cancelled.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I'm such a dolt! :drama::drama:

I missed that Arabella Sear Watkins was taking part in the Coupe de Printemp Junior Ladies SP today, and ofcourse the livestream video is now archived. But I read and saw a clip on her Instagram story that she landed her first 3Lutz + 2Toe combo in competition! Well done Arabella, in 5th after the SP in a big field.

Icicles Junior are 16th after the SP at Junior Worlds Synchro.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Couple of videos from today's action.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Edward Appleby has been selected as one of the flag bearers (along with Anna Berger, a biathlete) leading Team GB in the opening ceremony at the EYOF!

The 2 were nominated and chosen for "best displaying the One Team GB values throughout their junior careers".

Link to the announcement: https://www.teamgb.com/article/berg...-2022-opening-ceremony/64YeIXQ6AKUfTy9Be8gB5h

Congratulations to Edward, and good luck to him and Elena Komova in the competition! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just a wee reminder that the Anita Harris interview on Talking Pictures TV starts in 2 hours from now. For more information, see my earlier post:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/posts/2954157

Additionally, I have just posted my TV Schedule post for Senior Worlds in the "Where To Watch" thread over in the Senior Worlds sub-forum. Here is the direct link:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/posts/2957968

Also, don't forget that Series 2 of "Freeze" starts on BBC3 tonight. For handiness, I have included all the times for the first 2 episodes in the aforementioned TV Schedule post.

Please note that a 5 minute programme about Billy Wilson French is being shown straight after Friday night's repeat of Episode 1 of "Freeze".

Hope this helps

CaroLIiza_fan

Last edited:

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
My god, all these Americans advocating Mark Hanretty to be the the full time ISU Commentator on their official channel. First IFS magazine seemed to think he's not doing anything else and because they think he's a well researched Commentator they can't be bothered to consider he might be busy. Then American Journo Phil Hersch tweets he won't be Commentator at Worlds and is in the final of DOI, which anyone who follows Mark on social media knows even if they can't watch. He's a very busy Instagramer always posting videos. Now Dave Lease on the latest Skating Lesson vlog is suggesting he should take over from Ted Barton who he says is tainted by association with Tutberidze and channel one in Russia.

For crying out loud! Ted is away from home for months on end travelling to all the JGPs, setting up, filming interviews etc.

Mark has 2 young children and lives and works in Yorkshire. Apart from performing on Dancing on Ice every Jan to March, which he won't give up as he loves performing and is one of the best professionals on the show, he also is in high demand as a Coach and Choreographer at all levels. In April Billy & Kat will return from Florida and resume coaching in Sheffield with Christopher Dean and Mark Hanretty. They both will resume the BIS Ice Dance Academy Seminars. Mark & his wife Kathy do their own highly successful Skating Seminars in the Summer. As you can see he's already a very busy man. If Americans think he's got time to commentate on the JGP for months, then GP series and Worlds, think again. Maybe in the future when he retires from performing but not now.

nataliaward

Spectator
Has everybody watched BBC freeze. Figure skater Emily Hayward made some very interesting observations on how critical many are of womens weight in figure skating. An estimate of 87% of figure skaters experience an eating disorder during their career.
And how did everyone enjoy the qualifier this week. Advanced novice seemed very impressive. Junior ladies and men were good as always but I was a little dossappointed to see both Alexa Severn and Arabella Sear Watkins withdrawn ( injury perhaps?). Anyway was a fun few days

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Has everybody watched BBC freeze. Figure skater Emily Hayward made some very interesting observations on how critical many are of womens weight in figure skating. An estimate of 87% of figure skaters experience an eating disorder during their career.
And how did everyone enjoy the qualifier this week. Advanced novice seemed very impressive. Junior ladies and men were good as always but I was a little dossappointed to see both Alexa Severn and Arabella Sear Watkins withdrawn ( injury perhaps?). Anyway was a fun few days
Haven't watched the 2nd series of Freeze yet. But this is interesting.

And more from Simon

Thanks for the Qualifier news. Arabella competed at Coupe du Printemps last weekend and did very well.

Reactions: DSQ

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Erm, I was just looking through the tv broadcasting news websites I normally visit, and saw some stories about Nordic Entertainment Group's streaming service Viaplay launching in the UK. Out of curiosity, I clicked into them. And I made a worrying Discovery (pun intended):

NENT have acquired the exclusive UK rights to ISU figure skating competitions apart from Worlds from 2023 to 2028. Worlds joins in 2024. :eek:

Here are the stories I read:

https://advanced-television.com/2022/03/24/viaplay-reveals-uk-sports-line-up/
https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/viaplay-uk-to-include-live-sports

And here is the press release on NENT's own website:

https://www.nentgroup.com/news/news...streaming-offering-adding-live-sports-2002277

This is my nightmare. With us already having paying for Sky, BT Sport (just for the MotoGP) and Eurosport Player, I don't want to subscribe to any more services. Admittedly, the number of subscriptions will (in theory) come down once BT Sport and British Eurosport merge. But, I doubt if the price will!

NENT already has the skating rights in Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark up to the end of the 2022/23 season. And no doubt that will be extended.

I know that NENT is in the process of launching Viaplay in a whole pile of countries outside Scandinavia, such as the Netherlands. However, I don't know if they have acquired the skating rights in any of these other countries. But, I wouldn't be surprised if they will.

So, it looks like the return of figure skating to Eurosport was brief.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Given this development, I thought I should repeat what I wrote about NENT in this thread back in November, when we were discussing YouTube copyright claims:

One of the areas that Eurosport do not have the figure skating rights is Scandinavia, where the Swedish company Nordic Entertainment Group (NENT) bought the rights. And from what I gather, NENT are very protective of their rights, and do go after videos on YouTube outside of the area in which they have rights. (Is is possible that you have got NENT mixed up with Infront?)

To make matters worse, NENT are in the process of expanding their streaming service, Viaplay, outside of Scandinavia. For example, they have recently bought a pile of high-profile broadcasting rights in the Netherlands, such as the Formula 1, Premier League football and Bundesliga football, in preparation for Viaplay's launch there in the new year. Viaplay already launched a few months ago in Poland and the Baltic States, and plans to launch in the UK later in 2022, and in Canada, Germany, Austria and Switzerland in 2023.

I don't want to be a doom-monger, but it only looks like things are going to get worse.

Ever since NENT acquired the Scandinavian rights in 2019, the GS members in those countries have done nothing but complain about how expensive Viaplay is, and how the quality of the coverage they are getting isn't worth what they are paying.

Here is the most recent example, taken from the Olympics General Info thread:

I´m relieved Eurosport got the rights for Olympics, it´s half the price of Viaplay Sport who is broadcasting the championships and GP, and there will be Norwegian commentators on Eurosport. This season Viaplay cut the Norwegian commentators only leaving me with the option of the Swedish one, and I could not stand the one Swedish commentator - so I´m not paying for that. It was already overprized and then they wouldn´t even give me my money worth. Since basically everything from the Team Event will be at night/early morning in Europe, replays will be crucial, so i´m very happy I can subscribe to the Player.

But, if you do a search for "Viaplay", there are plenty more.

I just visited Viaplay's Norwegian website, and the price for the package that includes sports is 329 Krone per month. That's £29 in our money. So more than I am currently paying for both BT Sport (£21 per month) and Eurosport Player (£39.99 per year, which works out at £3.33 per month) combined.

Paying the guts of £350 a year just to watch 11 figure skating events a season? I don't think so!

(The 11 events figure is reached via: 6 Senior GP's; GP Final; Europeans; 4 Continents; Junior Worlds and Senior Worlds. I don't know if the Junior GP's are also included. But, even if they were, it is still not worth that amount of money).

Figure skating is already a fringe sport in these islands. With the coverage of the big events moving to an online streaming service that is probably going to be very expensive, it is just going to make the sport even more obscure.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thanks for all the broadcasting updates @CaroLiza_fan

I am heartbroken at the stupidity of the ISU. Making exclusive deals and geoblocking is the WRONG way to go about increasing our sport's popularity and visibility.

Having dinosaur Commentators doesn't help either.

Depressed for the future. 😢😢😢😢😢

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Just watched Episode 1 of Freeze series 2 and the production team still showing PJ and Zoe & Chris's Short Programmes at Nebelhorn Olympic Qualifier only as though that's all skaters do. PJ skated his best performance of the season in the FP at Nebelhorn. Pity they didn't show that.
Also the scheduling of both series is absurd and buried by Olympics then Worlds and DOI Final.
Should've been on much earlier as Olympic places were decided early December. Freeze Should've started after the British Championships then series 2 after Europeans before Olympics. I fear this series has been hidden away to only us diehard fans.

But I wanted to say I agree 100% with PJ. We'd have more Olymmpic qualifiers if the sport received funding.
UK Sport is a disgrace for leaving our sport penniless whilst giving £10M to other sports like Luge that didn't win any medals in Beijing.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
FREEZE S2 BBC THREE BBC IPLAYER SKATING DOCU SERIES

I finally watched all 4 episodes of series two and have to say it's not as gripping as series one, mainly because of the characters featured with lower down skaters, and the fact there was no ice dance included. I'm extremely disappointed they didn't include scenes from the first Torvill & Dean ice dance Camp at Sheffield even though I know they filmed it. The highlights were seeing clips from livestreams that I watched during the season, ie Cup of Austria in Graz and Tayside Trophy in Dundee. But again minimal coverage and no mention Natasha McKay won that event with a good performance. At least they finally mentioned her name and that Kristen and Nina would have to beat her! Considering she had won the British Championships at that point 4 times, now 5, and been chosen for European and Worlds consistently, it's a mystery why they didn't at least mention her name and record in series one? Casual viewers who thought Kristen and Nina were fighting it out for an Olympic spot would be shocked to find out the woman who actually gained that spot was up in Scotland and the undisputed British No.1.

However we know now thanks to Simon Briggs, Tash's Coach, he wanted her to concentrate on her main goal of the Olmpics and not be distracted by a documentary so she only took part minimally.
What sets Natasha apart from the other two is she delivers at the British Championships and mostly, not always, when it counts internationally, and she has good Spins, Steps and PCS . The other 2 may produce the more difficult jumps on occasion in a Senior B International abroad, but when the British rolls around, they falter.

I wonder if PJ was distracted by the cameras or was just running on empty ready to quit? I guess we'll never know. But Graham Newberry now has a new lease of life and let's hope he can progress next season.

@CaroLiza_fan mentioned the huge gap in Emily Hayward's career and she explains why that was and what happened to her and it's very distressing to listen to. She seems a person in turmoil and rather than ploughing on through, I feel she should take a break, have some therapy and come back refreshed, free from pressure. It's very sad to watch her. But not a unique story in Skating by any means.

It was great to see Rene the Advanced Novice boy I became a fan of when he won the British Championships last December with a fantastic groovy Michael Jackson Free Program. My heart broke when his coach at Altrincham said he only had 2 half hour lessons a week but worked hard on his own the rest of the time. His lovely Mum probably can't afford any more, making his costumes and sharpening his blades herself. He is precisely the kind of talented youngster who needs financial help now if he's to get to Olympics in 8 years time. But those idiots at UK Sport couldn't care less. It's the public's Lottery Money! We should have a say who gets it and currently Skating gets nowt!

The Final episode featured the British Championships 2021 though irritatingly none of the skaters original music was played, pop ballads played over their skates in slow motion, and again only one Program. If this series was to educate viewers about competitive Skating having a Short and Free Program it hasn't done a good job.

No ice dancers were shown in episode 4 completing the British Championships which is absurd as LilahandLewis are our most successful skaters at major international Championships. They also didn't show Rene winning the Advanced Novice title. Why not when you featured him qualifying in the previous episode?
So it ended with the same core of Sheffield Singles skaters saying how much they loved the sport.

That's all folks! Overall it was an excellent look into a minority sport in the UK.
I remember the days when the Telegraph, Times, Guardian used to have a Skating Correspondent who covered events and wrote articles, when we had a monthly magazine published in Britain and competitive skating was recognised as a sport. Now it gets nothing in the press apart from in Dundee local papers.
So this docu series and the one before it on CBBC, ICE STARS, are much appreciated by me and all fans, I'm sure.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Long time no see!

I liked Freeze and I think it was fair that Dundee decided to only involve themselves a little bit. With the Olympics and Worlds coming up they had more to lose. It proved to be correct as Natasha was better than ever at Worlds.

Looking at the March Qualifier results it’s nice to see Connor Bray back competing. He was wonderful at the Tayside Trophy in 2019, I was sad not so see him competing last season.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
British Advanced Novice Champion Rene Bektashi-Brown who trains at Altrincham featured on BBC Skating Docu Series Freeze. A Profile of Rene, his lovely Mum Leyli, and training with his Coach Sam. He skated a really fantastic groovy Michael Jackson Free Program at the British Championships that's why he wanted more bling on his costume! A future star!

Status
Not open for further replies.