British and Irish Figure skating 2021-2022 | Page 18 | Golden Skate

British and Irish Figure skating 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Thank you!

Looking through the page, I spotted a skater with a Japanese name (Wakana KATAYAMA) competing at Intermediate Novice level. And it reminded me of something I wanted to ask a few months ago.

Do you think there is any chance of Rei YOSHIMOTO coming back home?

I realise she undoubtedly has far better training and support in Japan, due to figure skating being a mainstream sport over there as opposed to a fringe sport here. But the fields are so deep in Japan, even in regionals and sectionals. She is not going to get the same opportunities that she would get skating for Great Britain.

Here are her results from this season:

Date
Competition
Level
SP Pos
SP Score
FS Pos
FS Score
Total Pos
Total Score
2021–22 Season
19–21 Nov. 2021Japan Championships
Junior​
30​
42.02​
–​
–​
30​
42.02​
04–07 Nov. 2021Western Section Championships
Junior​
13​
49.01​
13​
83.41​
12​
132.42​
07–10 Oct. 2021Kinki Regional Championships
Junior​
9​
12​
8​

There were 30 skaters competing at Nationals; 31 skaters competing at Sectionals; and 65 skaters competing at Regionals.

Here are the scores for the Junior Ladies medallists at the British Championships in December:

Name
Club
SP Pos
SP Score
FS Pos
FS Score
Total Pos
Total Score
Elena KOMOVA
NIC​
44.90​
88.08​
132.98​
Christie Anne SHANNON
EK​
40.83​
69.57​
110.40​
Alana PANG
SHE​
40.00​
4​
69.06​
109.06​

The following table shows the positions Rei achieved in the Japanese events, along with the positions those scores would have earned her at the British Championships:

Date
Competition
Level
SP Pos JPN
SP Pos GBR
FS Pos JPN
FS Pos GBR
Total Pos JPN
Total Pos GBR
2021–22 Season
Junior​
30​
–​
–​
–​
–​
Junior​
13​
13​
12​
Junior​
9​
12​
8​

It’s sobering to realise that rather than finishing last in the Japanese Championships, that SP score could have put Rei well into contention for a ticket to Junior Worlds.

For the sake of her career, I really hope Rei decides to switch back to Great Britain soon.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

I was just thinking about Rei the other day! I spotted a Japanese lady in the audience during Junior Men in Freeze and because she was wearing a mask it was hard to tell who exactly it was. But Ken & Luke Fitterer's Mum is Japanese and Luke won Bronze at Junior Men British Championships or it may have been Lowenna Prigg's Mum who is Japanese. I believe Connor Bray's Mum is also Japanese.

Regarding Rei, I agree she could do so much better here but when I asked Jenny Bill a couple of year's ago if she was coming back, she said her parents had returned to Japan as they were only over here for her Father's work. So I suppose it depends on them. But it would be great if she did come back.

Reactions: DSQ

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Interesting that Solo Dance events used to be divided into Ladies & Men's Categories, but looking at Results from Blackburn, boys and girls competing together now. PICS 3, 5 & 7 here if you click through.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Thank you!

Looking through the page, I spotted a skater with a Japanese name (Wakana KATAYAMA) competing at Intermediate Novice level. And it reminded me of something I wanted to ask a few months ago.

Do you think there is any chance of Rei YOSHIMOTO coming back home?

I realise she undoubtedly has far better training and support in Japan, due to figure skating being a mainstream sport over there as opposed to a fringe sport here. But the fields are so deep in Japan, even in regionals and sectionals. She is not going to get the same opportunities that she would get skating for Great Britain.

Here are her results from this season:

Date
Competition
Level
SP Pos
SP Score
FS Pos
FS Score
Total Pos
Total Score
2021–22 Season
Junior​
30​
42.02​
–​
–​
30​
42.02​
Junior​
13​
49.01​
13​
83.41​
12​
132.42​
Junior​
9​
12​
8​

There were 30 skaters competing at Nationals; 31 skaters competing at Sectionals; and 65 skaters competing at Regionals.

Here are the scores for the Junior Ladies medallists at the British Championships in December:

Name
Club
SP Pos
SP Score
FS Pos
FS Score
Total Pos
Total Score
Elena KOMOVA
NIC​
44.90​
88.08​
132.98​
Christie Anne SHANNON
EK​
40.83​
69.57​
110.40​
Alana PANG
SHE​
40.00​
4​
69.06​
109.06​

The following table shows the positions Rei achieved in the Japanese events, along with the positions those scores would have earned her at the British Championships:

Date
Competition
Level
SP Pos JPN
SP Pos GBR
FS Pos JPN
FS Pos GBR
Total Pos JPN
Total Pos GBR
2021–22 Season
Junior​
30​
–​
–​
–​
–​
Junior​
13​
13​
12​
Junior​
9​
12​
8​

It’s sobering to realise that rather than finishing last in the Japanese Championships, that SP score could have put Rei well into contention for a ticket to Junior Worlds.

For the sake of her career, I really hope Rei decides to switch back to Great Britain soon.

CaroLiza_fan
I was thinking about Rei Yoshimoto too. I guess you can argue that with the number of high level coaches over there and competition she could progress quicker there. Also if she was skating here because of her father’s work then because of the passport situation with Japan (they don’t allow dual nationals) it would mean she’d be competing for a country she couldn’t go to the Olympics for. So I understand why she might not come back. I hope she does though!

Graham Newberry posted on Instagram two videos of him training the 4T. His 4S was so good but he only every tried it once in competition. I hope he tries the 4T more than once! https://www.instagram.com/p/Cb0g7mQL89D/?utm_medium=copy_link

Something I really respected about Natasha McKay and Si Briggs this season was their constant drilling of the 3Lz which afaik was only called clean once internationally. They knew how important it was to get it out there even if it wasn’t perfect yet. I would love if Graham Newberry took the same approach with the 4T, obviously if it can be done safely!

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Starting tomorrow at Egna in Italy, one of the last comps of the season.

Team GB
Advanced Novice - Lowenna Prigg
Junior - Molly Rowbotham and Lucas Fitterer
Senior - Ken Fitterer

A couple of Irish Skaters taking part in the event in Riga, Latvia, also starting tomorrow.

Good Luck to all! :hb::hap10:

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I was just thinking about Rei the other day! I spotted a Japanese lady in the audience during Junior Men in Freeze and because she was wearing a mask it was hard to tell who exactly it was. But Ken & Luke Fitterer's Mum is Japanese and Luke won Bronze at Junior Men British Championships or it may have been Lowenna Prigg's Mum who is Japanese. I believe Connor Bray's Mum is also Japanese.

Regarding Rei, I agree she could do so much better here but when I asked Jenny Bill a couple of year's ago if she was coming back, she said her parents had returned to Japan as they were only over here for her Father's work. So I suppose it depends on them. But it would be great if she did come back.

I was thinking about Rei Yoshimoto too. I guess you can argue that with the number of high level coaches over there and competition she could progress quicker there. Also if she was skating here because of her father’s work then because of the passport situation with Japan (they don’t allow dual nationals) it would mean she’d be competing for a country she couldn’t go to the Olympics for. So I understand why she might not come back. I hope she does though!

Ah! I always thought Rei was in the same boat as the other skaters that @La Rhumba mentioned - having one British parent and one Japanese parent. But, if her family is completely Japanese and they were only over here due to her Dad's work, then that is a different kettle of fish.

Now that the family is back in Japan, Rei would have to travel back for the British competitions. Being realistic, she would probably need to base herself in the UK for months at a time. Yes, she's lived here before, but that was with her family. Living on the other side of the world without your family is a big commitment for somebody of her age. Especially when there is no guarantee that she would get the slots.

And, as @DSQ pointed out, there is the whole issue of Japan not allowing dual nationality. That must be a difficult enough decision for those people that are from mixed families. Having to choose one side of their family over the other. But imagine what it would be like for somebody like Rei, who is not from a mixed family.

So, whilst switching makes sense on paper, there are more things to think of.

Team GB
Senior - Ken Fitterer

A couple of Irish Skaters taking part in the event in Riga, Latvia, also starting tomorrow.

Good Luck to all! :hb::hap10:

You can double that "couple" - there are actually 4 Irish skaters entered for the Kurbada Cup in Riga - both Tkacheva sisters, Robyn Foster and Dillon Judge.

I was surprised that Elizabeth Golding wasn't going too. And I was wondering if it was because Latvia had a problem with her being half-Russian. But, I just discovered that she is going to the Triglav Trophy next week. And so is Sam McAllister (he and Dillon normally do the same competitions, because they have the same coaching setup. I don't know if the organisers planned it this way, but there are no Senior skaters at all competing in Riga).

As well as the two Irish skaters at the Triglav Trophy / Narcissa Cup, there are also lots of British entries! Including Kristen Spours; Joe Zakipour; Freddie Leggott; quite a few skaters at the various Novice levels; and even a girl at Chicks level.

Such a pity it clashes with Junior Worlds.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Team GB
Senior - Ken Fitterer

Just to let you know, there have been a serious amount of withdrawals from the Egna Spring Cup and, unfortunately, Lowenna and Molly Nicole are two of them.

The Fitterers are still on the start lists. But, their competitions don't start until Saturday, so it might change by then. (But hopefully not).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

CaroLiza_fan

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thanks @CaroLiza_fan always a let down when you're looking forward to seeing skaters and they WD. :(

I think I'll hang on till Friday for the start of Senior Synchro Worlds in Ontario.
Good Luck Team Icicles Senior. :cheer:

Wishing Penny Coomes Happy Birthday today! Former icedancer now doing a great job as Coach to our Junior Champions heading off for Junior Worlds in Tallinn next week.

:hb:🎂

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
They say lightning doesn't strike twice. 🌩️ 🌩️ Well, it has for the Irish Junior Ladies!

Just 0.01 points are separating Sophia in 9th and Robyn in 10th at the Kurbada Cup SP in Latvia. :jaw:

Amazingly, this is the second time they've done that this season. 😲 They also did it at the Tayside Trophy SP back in November. But that time, it was Robyn in 8th and Sophia in 9th.

This is amazing how well matched they are. If it carries on like this, it's going to make things tricky for the Fed selecting who gets the slots. :drama:

But, first things first. We are going to have a mighty battle between them in the Free Skate tomorrow morning.

Can't wait!!!

CaroLiza_fan

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Infront Sports strikes again! :mad::drama::ROFLMAO:❌

Team Icicles Senior finished 20th in the World Synchro Championships in Ontario last night. 18th in the SP.
Their Free Skate was a fun Disco 70s program and I uploaded it to YouTube but overnight it's been blocked worldwide. The ISU aren't uploading it as a separate video. It's only on the livestream archive with ad interruptions till it's deleted. Then lost forever. So upsetting for the skaters and families. Team Icicles only get to practice together for 1.5 hours per week on ice at Nottingham. Whereas Medalists from Helsinki practice for 25 hours per week. How is this discipline going to spread around the world if videos aren't widely available? No let's block everything, even the 20th placed Team. We won't upload the video who own it, but we won't let anyone else upload it either so families and friends and the skaters and coaches can have easy access to their performance on YouTube. It's beyond exasperating and doesn't help the sport one iota. Sick of it. :(

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
A BBC write up of Emily's story from Freeze but it doesn't say she went abroad for a year to try Pairs. I wish they would name and shame the coaches and countries involved.

Also Harry's story is even worse than revealed, and how tragic about his Father and childhood accident! Gosh, my respect for Harry has grown so much.

Also the writer here still doesn't understand how Skating is scored. It's not surprising, IJS is unfathomable to the casual viewer.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Look North will be interviewing Christopher Dean and Billy Wilson-French for tomorrow's programme. Kat is still in the US. I am hoping to try and watch online. I can never remember if it's BBC or ITV?

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Look North will be interviewing Christopher Dean and Billy Wilson-French for tomorrow's programme. Kat is still in the US. I am hoping to try and watch online. I can never remember if it's BBC or ITV?
Look North's on the BBC, so you should be able to watch on the iplayer. It's on BBC Yorkshire Region, if that helps. Thanks for the tip - I'll try to watch it myself tomorrow.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Look North's on the BBC, so you should be able to watch on the iplayer. It's on BBC Yorkshire Region, if that helps. Thanks for the tip - I'll try to watch it myself tomorrow.
Thank you, Ruth, helps alot. Looking forward to watching later. :coffee::)

Status
Not open for further replies.