British and Irish Figure skating 2022-2023 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

British and Irish Figure skating 2022-2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^^ I believe Haley Beavers is American. I'm familiar with her name but I couldn't recall who she is, until checking. She has skated singles for the U.S. on the lower levels, with some success. I've never seen her compete, but she was coached by the legendary Ron Ludington, a famous coach and former decorated pairs skater for the U.S., with his sister, Nancy. Ron Ludington passed away two years ago. I'm not sure whether Haley Beavers has any affiliation with the U.K. She has an Instagram account under Haley Bryant-Beavers. She counts Daniel Samohin among her friends in skating, judging by a posted photo and birthday wishes to him.

If Haley Beavers hasn't yet committed to skating pairs with Nyman, I'm not sure how far this will go. Beavers has competed as a singles skater, so I don't know if she has any pairs experience, training, or any desire to switch to pairs.

Regarding T.J. Nyman, I'm not surprised. I knew he was born in Britain, so this isn't a far-fetched move. Nyman is a decent pairs skater too. He competed in U.S. men's singles as a novice, and he was formerly paired with Sarah Rose on the lower levels. Nyman performed well in junior pairs representing the U.S. with Sarah Feng. They were good, but I suspect Sappenfield was responsible for their split, though it could be that Sarah desired to move on. In any case, Nyman was soon paired with a young Russian skater. Their eventual split was due to the pandemic, when she was forced to return home.

While looking for a new partner, Nyman had already begun coaching with Sappenfield. For a short period, Nyman trained with a new partner, Brynne McIsaac, who is a former singles competitor. She had been paired with another former singles competitor, Mark Sadusky, by pairs coach, Jim Peterson, in Florida. When Peterson and his coaching partner, Amanda Evora, moved to Canton, Michigan to build a new pairs program, McIsaac & Sadusky began training with Sappenfield, in Colorado.

M/S competed well and showed promise, but at some point, McIsaac partnered with Nyman. They actually looked good together too, but apparently when Nyman had the chance to pair with Aliona Savchenko, he dropped his several months pairing with McIsaac (who is currently still on IcePartnerSearch looking for a new partner). Mark Sadusky is now paired with Nica Digerness, who had a long lay-off recovering from an injury, surgery, and then the pandemic also intervened. Nica formerly skated pairs successfully with Danny Neudecker, and she trained briefly with a different partner while rehabbing, before hitching up with Sadusky.

Yep, musical chairs partnering is par for the course for many young pairs skaters in the U.S. I do believe Sappenfield has engaged in partner switching more often than necessary. It will be interesting to see if Nyman & Beavers become partners. Nyman skating for GB in pairs might not be a bad get for British pairs skating if he sticks with one partner for the long haul. If Sappenfield is involved, close monitoring should be employed.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I cannot remember the last time I saw him compete.
T. J. Nyman last competed with Sarah Feng at Skate Detroit in Summer 2019. They split shortly afterward. This would mean Nyman is a free agent, and does not require an official release.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thanks to @BlissfulSynergy for all the info. But I really wouldn't welcome either of the skaters or the Coach to these shores. I would feel heartbroken for both Ana & Luke and Lydia & Harry who have been training hard for 3 years precisely to represent their country at the highest level, and this season they have the opportunity to do that.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Just read Molly Lanaghan"s Instagram post that she & Dmitre are competing in a week's time. If her partner hadn't insisted on competing for Canada, this season she could be looking forward to a GP in her native Yorkshire, Europeans & Worlds. Instead she will have another season of small scale domestic events, being ranked around 5th or 6th at Canadians, and possibly a Senior B in Poland. Same as the past 3 years, as every Junior turned Senior couple at Canadians slots in above them. That's the danger of switching nationality. Yes, you can get great opportunities like, to some extent, Olivia Smart, but you can also lose out like Molly, and I suspect from next season onwards, Peter Beaumont, another Yorkshireman.

You have to wonder why, when the National Association is actually based in Sheffield, so many Yorkshire skaters have left for abroad?
I couldn't believe Jonathan Beyer asked in a previous episode of This &That, "I can't remember, was Olivia originally Canadian or American?" And he's interviewed her! :rolleye:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Hope they publicise it better than they do the British Championships.....

It's fantastic news though - is this the first time a Grand Prix Event has been held in the UK - does anyone know?
Still nothing on the website. News posted today is about training camps for Novice ice dancers and speed skaters.

Not sure about a Grand Prix event, but we've had Europeans and Worlds.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks to @BlissfulSynergy for all the info. But I really wouldn't welcome either of the skaters or the Coach to these shores. I would feel heartbroken for both Ana & Luke and Lydia & Harry who have been training hard for 3 years precisely to represent their country at the highest level, and this season they have the opportunity to do that.
Oh, I totally get it @La Rhumba. Even if Nyman and Sappenfield didn't have abuse allegations hanging over them, I can understand British skaters and fans not desiring to welcome a British-born pairs skater from the U.S., let alone two U.S.-affiliated skaters joining the British pairs discipline. Imagine how U.S. pairs athletes felt when there was the prospect of Aliona Savchenko pairing with Nyman for the U.S.

In any case, this may just amount to no more than a gossipy rumor. At the core, in every situation of this nature, the problematic limited competitive structure of the sport is highlighted.

It's so hugely difficult in every discipline to make headway in progressing competitively, but doubly so for pairs. In that respect, I'm not certain that the current two British pairs teams will both be good enough in the near future to obtain two spots quickly enough for both teams to have a fair chance to develop competitively. At this point, Nyman has greater skills and experience. Yet, of course, he also has some questionable drawbacks.

It all remains to be seen. This rumor could just be a tempest in a teapot, and amount to no more than that. For sure, even if Nyman joins the British pairs discipline, he won't be competing this season. We don't know whether he actually has a partner yet. And if it's Haley Beavers, she would be new to pairs, I believe (which requires training preparation).

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So, that said, I look forward to rooting for current British pairs skaters. Do either of the top two teams train in other, more established pairs training camps in Europe or North America? Can you link competitive videos of these teams?

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Wow! She looks amazing! Like a young Princess Elizabeth! 🥰🥰
Kat DelCamp, IMO, gives off a more Italian vibe. She reminds me of a petite version of Sophia Loren. 💃 I believe Kat's heritage is Irish-Italian. She has a fraternal twin brother, who skated on the lower levels in the U.S. I believe Kat is from a military family.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Can you link competitive videos of these teams?
Okay, I see @La Rhumba that you have posted some performance videos of Ana & Luke on YouTube. I did see a bit of their skating at the British championships and at Euros earlier this year. They have a lovely lyrical quality together, and they are both very attractive, with good basics.

Clearly, they have a lot to improve on. Most importantly, they need to improve their speed and develop a good 3-twist. It looks as if they're only competing a 2-twist. I'm not sure that Brits have much political clout in the sport to help their skaters. But obvious talent helps politically with the judges. Still, in pairs, a lot is needed to stand out from the crowd. So improved packaging is another necessity, along with Ana working on improving her jump technique and her confidence with jumping passes.

I see that Ana and Luke are both Scots? Or, at least the article I read said they train at the Dundee rink. In order to improve to a higher level, it would help them to train with top pairs skaters, or at the very least, to get top training camp assistance in the summer. Their coaches, Simon and Jason Briggs, appear to be twins. I thought one of their coaches taught in New York state, and was a former coach to Serafini/ Tran. Am I wrong?

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Okay, I see @La Rhumba that you have posted some performance videos of Ana & Luke on YouTube. I did see a bit of their skating at the British championships and at Euros earlier this year. They have a lovely lyrical quality together, and they are both very attractive, with good basics.

Clearly, they have a lot to improve on. Most importantly, they need to improve their speed and develop a good 3-twist. It looks as if they're only competing a 2-twist. I'm not sure that Brits have much political clout in the sport to help their skaters. But obvious talent helps politically with the judges. Still, in pairs, a lot is needed to stand out from the crowd. So improved packaging is another necessity, along with Ana working on improving her jump technique and her confidence with jumping passes.

I see that Ana and Luke are both Scots? Or, at least the article I read said they train at the Dundee rink. In order to improve to a higher level, it would help them to train with top pairs skaters, or at the very least, to get top training camp assistance in the summer. Their coaches, Simon and Jason Briggs, appear to be twins. I thought one of their coaches taught in New York state, and was a former coach to Serafini/ Tran. Am I wrong?
No, you're not wrong. Jason Briggs comes over regularly to help with coaching at Dundee. Ana is Scottish but Luke is English. Ana did spend some time in Canada training before teaming up with Luke. It depends on finances. They recently returned from Austria where Mark Pillay did their new Choreography.

Luckily Zoe & Chris finished in the top 10 at Worlds last season so both Pairs can go this season if they qualify. Last season was the first competitive one for both Pairs, so they are just starting out on their journey after 2 Pandemic seasons when most UK rinks were closed. Harry & Lydia are also on my channel, SP & FP from a competition in Holland , their first International. Her throw jumps are excellent.

Also training abroad is not a good experience for everybody. A Junior Singles Champion girl who went to Europe to learn Pairs came home with an eating disorder and is not the same person or skater.

Harry also had a terrible experience as a Singles Skater in America, as he explains here.

British Skaters rarely get sponsorship, and our Fed has no money, as we"ve discussed before, so whether skaters can go to train abroad to improve their skills depends entirely on if their parents can afford it. Eg. Billy & Kat are now in Scarboro training with the Lanes for Summer. His parents both work extremely hard to pay the bills because they want to support their son. But it's not easy.

Last edited:

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Some late night news from the Ice Dance World. 🌎

2021-2 Junior British Bronze Medalists & JGP competitors, Natalia Pallu-Neves / Jayin Panesar are switching to compete for Brzail after taking a year off. Natalia's Mum is Brazilian. They will remain coached at Streatham by the Towler-Green Team. Natalia posted they are very excited to compete for Brazil.

Official Announcement from Ice Brasil

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
No, you're not wrong. Jason Briggs comes over regularly to help with coaching at Dundee. Ana is Scottish but Luke is English. Ana did spend some time in Canada training before teaming up with Luke. It depends on finances. They recently returned from Austria where Mark Pillay did their new Choreography.

Luckily Zoe & Chris finished in the top 10 at Worlds last season so both Pairs can go this season if they qualify. Last season was the first competitive one for both Pairs, so they are just starting out on their journey after 2 Pandemic seasons when most UK rinks were closed. Harry & Lydia are also on my channel, SP & FP from a competition in Holland , their first International. Her throw jumps are excellent...

Also training abroad is not a good experience for everybody. A Junior Singles Champion girl who went to Europe to learn Pairs came home with an eating disorder and is not the same person or skater.

Harry also had a terrible experience as a Singles Skater in America, as he explains here...

British Skaters rarely get sponsorship, and our Fed has no money, as we"ve discussed before, so whether skaters can go to train abroad to improve their skills depends entirely on if their parents can afford it. Eg. Billy & Kat are now in Scarboro training with the Lanes for Summer. His parents both work extremely hard to pay the bills because they want to support their son. But it's not easy.
Thanks for all the information. I did see your YouTube posts of Harry and Lydia too when I looked up Ana and Luke. 👍😊

Regarding Billy & Kat, I follow Kat's Instagram mostly. I was first introduced to Billy when Kat partnered with him. I'm excited for their partnership. Do you mean Scarborough in Canada?

Obviously, the economics involved in figure skating are prohibitive for skaters everywhere, and especially so for skaters from smaller feds who don't receive much financial assistance. It's a shame that the U.K. is unable to support their figure skating athletes on a greater scale, especially with Britain's rich tradition in skating, and its important contributions historically to the sport's development.

It will be lovely if Britain can begin to make headway in other disciplines to add to their strengths in ice dance. In terms of pairs, Ana and Luke only recently paired -- they were singles skaters. It's a good pairing, so it's really nice for both of them. I guess Harry and Lydia have been skating pairs a bit longer?

Both teams are clearly in beginning stages of their development. To my eyes, L&H have slightly more speed, and Lydia seems more confident on her jumps and throws. Interestingly, though, both teams have a similar physical look on the ice, and their skating style is the same. Both teams need to define themselves uniquely, in order to stand out from each other and among the rest of the field internationally. This is always part of the many challenges for young pairs teams.

Due to the depleted pairs field, there will be opportunities for a number of countries' pairs athletes to gain experience, exposure to international judges, and try to establish themselves, along with crafting a unique identity. Pairs is a difficult discipline to successfully make rapid progress. I believe one of the reasons SC backed James/ Radford was because they needed a strong team (albeit they were not experienced together) to help rebuild their senior pairs discipline. James/Radford succeeded in that goal amidst numerous challenges.

I am not invested in what happens to Nyman or Sappenfield. It is purely up to those involved in the decision-making. Issues of character and guarding against abusive practices are extremely important. At the same time, it is factually the case that Sappenfield is known for her ability to teach 3-twists, which both British pairs teams need. I realize they can learn from others who are available to teach (who are not dogged by abuse claims & related suspension). Still, both British pairs teams should be looking into acquiring this crucial element, although steadiness and safety are always paramount. I have loads of respect for Zoe & Chris learning and teaching themselves via video clips and their deep passion.

I'm sorry for Harry's troubles abroad. Figure skating has so many challenges: emotional, financial, physical, mental, and logistical. Skaters from every country face similar challenges. For most skaters, the journey and the process are what they gain and learn from. Realistically, not everyone can make it to the top. This is especially the case because of the sport's very limited competitive structure.

Last edited:

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Some late night news from the Ice Dance World. 🌎

2021-2 Junior British Bronze Medalists & JGP competitors, Natalia Pallu-Neves / Jayin Panesar are switching to compete for Brzail after taking a year off. Natalia's Mum is Brazilian. They will remain coached at Streatham by the Towler-Green Team. Natalia posted they are very excited to compete for Brazil.

Official Announcement from Ice Brasil

I understand the decision. The junior field is quite strong right now.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I couldn't believe Jonathan Beyer asked in a previous episode of This &That, "I can't remember, was Olivia originally Canadian or American?"
Typical of TSL hosts though, sadly. On one episode, both Dave and Jonathan made comments which showed they didn't realize Robin Szolkowy is German. He was born in Germany and his mother is German. His father AFAIK, is originally from Africa.

Another example: Canadian, Elladj Balde's father is from Africa, and his mother is from Russia.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Up date on GP Sheffield. Looks like it might not happen after all due to a schedule conflict. TBC.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Up date on GP Sheffield. Looks like it might not happen after all due to a schedule conflict. TBC.
I gather it's because Sheffield is hosting an ice hockey match that weekend? Wow....You'd have thought BIS would've checked that out first, no? If you were a professionally run organisation. Fans have booked hotel rooms. Let's hope it can be resolved. But very poor. :rolleye: :shrug::palmf:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Just read Molly Lanaghan"s Instagram post that she & Dmitre are competing in a week's time. If her partner hadn't insisted on competing for Canada, this season she could be looking forward to a GP in her native Yorkshire, Europeans & Worlds. Instead she will have another season of small scale domestic events, being ranked around 5th or 6th at Canadians, and possibly a Senior B in Poland. Same as the past 3 years, as every Junior turned Senior couple at Canadians slots in above them. That's the danger of switching nationality. Yes, you can get great opportunities like, to some extent, Olivia Smart, but you can also lose out like Molly, and I suspect from next season onwards, Peter Beaumont, another Yorkshireman.

You have to wonder why, when the National Association is actually based in Sheffield, so many Yorkshire skaters have left for abroad?
I couldn't believe Jonathan Beyer asked in a previous episode of This &That, "I can't remember, was Olivia originally Canadian or American?" And he's interviewed her! :rolleye:
I was going to reply that you can "thank" John Lane for recruiting British ice dancers for IDE and pairing them with Canadians and laughingly suggest that he needs to be persuaded to coach some dancers who compete for Britain.

And then today I saw this

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS · EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Haven't been on for a few days, and am catching up now.

My goodness! I knew the British Fed haven't a clue what they are doing at the best of times, but how on Earth do you make this big a mess of things?! 😲 Talk about a shambles! :drama: It would be laughable if it wasn't so disappointing for the skaters and the fans.

We all know that our Fed has become obsessed with holding everything in Sheffield. But I really hope they did actually look into whether the National Ice Centre in Nottingham was available that week. If they didn't bother and it was actually available, that would be a disgraceful show of just how incompetent and blinkered they are.

When I went to turn over the page of the TV magazine this morning, I noticed that the second episode of "Freeze" was on BBC1 at 23:50 last night. You know, the episode I didn't get taped when it was originally shown on BBC3!!! :bang: :bang: :bang:

Somehow, I don't think it will be repeated again. (Too many people complaining over the years about repeats on the BBC have made them not repeat things as often any more). So, with it not coming up properly on the On Demand on Sky, I guess that's my chance lost. 😞

I just checked online, and the first episode was shown at the same time last Tuesday. And the third episode will be shown at the same time next Tuesday.

Hopefully they will go on and show the rest of the eight episodes in the weeks to come. Because I haven't actually got round to watching the second series yet. :p

Well, BBC1 didn't show Series 2 of "Freeze" after they finished showing Series 1. HOWEVER, BBC3 will be showing Series 2 again over the next 2 weekends:

Sunday 24th July 2022
BBC3 02:20 – 03:05 Freeze: Back On Thin Ice Episode 1
BBC3 03:05 – 03:50 Freeze: Back On Thin Ice Episode 2

Monday 25th July 2022
BBC3 01:45 – 02:30 Freeze: Back On Thin Ice Episode 1
BBC3 02:30 – 03:15 Freeze: Back On Thin Ice Episode 2

Sunday 31st July 2022
BBC3 01:45 – 02:25 Freeze: Back On Thin Ice Episode 3
BBC3 02:25 – 03:10 Freeze: Back On Thin Ice Episode 4

Monday 1st August 2022
BBC3 01:45 – 02:25 Freeze: Back On Thin Ice Episode 3
BBC3 02:25 – 03:10 Freeze: Back On Thin Ice Episode 4

I've already got the timer set! ;) :biggrin:

I just checked, and the Series 1 episodes were repeated on BBC3 over the past 2 weekends. But, I didn't notice. So, sorry about that. The good news is that the episodes of "Freeze" are now working on the On Demand on Sky, so I am now able to download S1 Ep2 that I missed taping all the times it was broadcast, and then copy it for keeps.

Erm, I was just looking through the tv broadcasting news websites I normally visit, and saw some stories about Nordic Entertainment Group's streaming service Viaplay launching in the UK. Out of curiosity, I clicked into them. And I made a worrying Discovery (pun intended):

NENT have acquired the exclusive UK rights to ISU figure skating competitions apart from Worlds from 2023 to 2028. Worlds joins in 2024. :eek:

Figure skating is already a fringe sport in these islands. With the coverage of the big events moving to an online streaming service that is probably going to be very expensive, it is just going to make the sport even more obscure.

CaroLiza_fan

Just thought I should let you know that there may be a twist in the story. A couple of days ago, Bloomberg broke the story that Viaplay Group, as NENT Group is now known, is in talks to buy Premier Sports.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...aplay-said-to-mull-purchase-of-premier-sports

Although Viaplay is a streaming service, this would actually be a good move for the Swedish company. The disaster that was the launch of the UK version of Italian streaming service Eleven Sports showed that even if you have great rights, you need linear channels if you want to attract subscribers. You won't survive in the UK market by just being a streaming service.

And it would be a good move for the Irish company, as Viaplay has recently acquired the rights to a whole pile of things that are currently showing on Premier Sports. So, the Premier Sports portfolio is getting rather thin. And with the cost of living rising, lots of people will cancel their subscription if there is less for them to watch.

The upshot is that we might end up with figure skating still being shown on linear TV in the UK, albeit on a premium channel (a Viaplay owned Premier Sport) rather than a basic channel (Eurosport).

Even if this does come to fruition, I still don't think I would be subscribing. As it stands, figure skating is the only thing either company has the rights to that I would be interested in. And much as I love figure skating, it's not worth the extra money.

Incidentally, after failing to buy BT Sport, DAZN is now trying to buy the aforementioned Eleven Sports.

Oh, and the BT Sport / British Eurosport merger has been referred to the Competition And Markets Authority (CMA). The decision on whether it needs to be investigated further will be made by 28th July. So, there is a chance that it may not actually happen.

The whole sports broadcasting scene is changing very rapidly. It will be interesting to see what we are left with when it all settles down.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS · EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just posted this in the "Update on 2022-23 Grand Prix Series" thread, in a reply to a different comment. But, thought I should post it here too. For no particular reason... :p

The first two paragraphs are for the benefit of the international readers of the other thread, who don't know what our Fed is like. But I kept them in here, as the rest of my post leads on from them.

I gather it's because Sheffield is hosting an ice hockey match that weekend? Wow....You'd have thought BIS would've checked that out first, no? If you were a professionally run organisation. Fans have booked hotel rooms. Let's hope it can be resolved. But very poor. :rolleye: :shrug::palmf:

The British Fed are obsessed with holding everything in Sheffield. And, failing that, they would reluctantly consider Nottingham. They are simply not interested in holding events anywhere else. Put it like this, the last time the British Championships was held anywhere other than one of those two rinks was 2003. And the last time it was held in Nottingham was 2009. It has been Sheffield every year since then.

Admittedly, there has been one exception to the Sheffield-or-Nottingham hegemony in recent years. A Senior B, the Tayside Trophy, has been held in Dundee in Scotland.

However, I just had a look at the Elite League website, and the Sheffield Steelers, Nottingham Panthers and Dundee Stars all have home matches the week of the 4th Senior GP.

Here are the matches being played that week:

Date
Time
Championship
Home Team
Away Team
Wednesday 9th November
19:30​
Elite League​
Sheffield Steelers​
Coventry Blaze​
Friday 11th November
Elite League​
Manchester Storm​
Belfast Giants​
Friday 11th November
Elite League​
Glasgow Clan​
Fife Flyers​
Saturday 12th November
19:00​
Elite League​
Nottingham Panthers​
Belfast Giants​
Saturday 12th November
Elite League​
Dundee Stars​
Cardiff Devils​
Saturday 12th November
Elite League​
Sheffield Steelers​
Glasgow Clan​
Saturday 12th November
Challenge Cup​
Coventry Blaze​
Guildford Flames​
Sunday 13th November
18:00​
Elite League​
Fife Flyers​
Nottingham Panthers​
Sunday 13th November
Elite League​
Cardiff Devils​
Manchester Storm​
Sunday 13th November
Challenge Cup​
Guildford Flames​
Coventry Blaze​

There is actually only one team that is not playing any home matches that week. So...

ODYSSEY ARENA, BELFAST, FOR THE SENIOR GP, BABY!!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

...and Dundonald Ice Bowl for the Practice Rink! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.