Can Chan be on the top again? | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Can Chan be on the top again?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The articles (multiple) all contain actual Chan quotes -not just 'he said stuff'. For example, when a Jason Brown article comes out with Jason quotes, I usually believe what Jason says too. The difference is, Jason is uniformly polite in all his interviews...you couldn't put a dark twist on it even if you tried hard. The same with Yuzu, Denis and others...when reading their interviews I don't wonder if they are being misrepresented, because they are clear in their statements, not to mention positive most of the time.
-Should I treat Chan differently?

I am a fan of Jason ... and karne is an even bigger fan of Jason than I am.
But a group of us did have quite a debate (in the Jason thread, I believe) about a very specific comment (in Jason's own blogging, IIRC?).
Because of her life experience, karne was very unhappy with the comment.
And I understood her perspective, although I did not agree with it.

The gist of it was that Kori handled a situation at the airport in a certain way, and Jason took her approach to it as a life lesson.
karne disagreed with how Kori handled the situation, and felt it was not a good life lesson at all for Jason to be spreading.

karne, I hope that you would agree with my recollection and summary of the discussion.

Bottom line: no one -- not even Jason -- can please all of the people all of the time.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
^^Interesting. -But it wasn't a case of a journalist sensationalizing his words...rather a difference of opinion of whether what he said was right or wrong?
Though the same could be said about Patrick I guess.

Reading through the rest of the articles, he seems to have really enjoyed the skydiving. I'd love to try that!

Which would you rather, Skydiving or Bungee Jumping?

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I do recall that discussion, golden411. I think that's a pretty good summary of the discussion.

And some things can be taken in a different context depending on the reader's life experiences. (Yes, it was in his blog - I can't remember for which event, though. It was certainly this season I think?)

Consistency of behaviour is the key. Jason is almost always infallibly polite; it was almost a shock to read that in his blog and react in that way. Chan, on the other hand, has a long track record of making arrogant, obnoxious remarks. So though I might believe that he has been misquoted or mis-contexted (that's not a word but it is now), his record makes it less likely that I would give him the benefit of the doubt.

OT: golden411, I love the avatar, it never fails to make me smile :)

EDIT: To answer Newbiespectator's question: neither. I see no reason to jump out of a perfectly good aeroplane, nor do I wish to defy the laws of physics in that way. :p

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think that a choreography is created for each skater (at least those who can pay for a good choreography) to strongly emphasize her/his strengths, to hide possible weaknesses and to get as much points as possible. I don´t think the judges mind at all if skaters skate to same type of programmes during their whole career. Have they even minded if some skater has had the same sp or lp for more than one season? I think it is the performance which counts.

Personally, I´m happy if a skater has different kind of music for her/his sp and lp during a season.....

Last edited:

treeloving

Medalist
Chan mouth is always entertaining. :popcorn: And out of all people he is the one who talk about diversity and bringing something new to program. Plus, his comment on javier and classical music is golden.:laugh2: