Can I Watch Worlds on the ISU Channel? | Golden Skate

Can I Watch Worlds on the ISU Channel?

ingofan1

Rinkside
I usually watch it on icenetwork but my device quit working i used watch it on isu channel it says not available in your country which Usa.do i have way to watch it live

avai

Last edited by a moderator:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The ISU's official channel is designed for the fans like me, who live in countries where the broadcast rights haven't been sold and thus would not normally (legally) be able to view Worlds. You could probably watch if you used something like H-O-L-A (I'm spelling it out because I'm convinced that IN have figured out some people are using it), and set it to, say, Australia.

The USA has broadcast rights between IceNetwork, NBC and Universal Sports, so you're geoblocked from the ISU stream. In Australia, the only time figure skating is broadcast here is at the Olympics, so we have access to the ISU stream.

But I am a bit confused - if your device has died, how are you going to watch the ISU channel?

Icey

Record Breaker
It strikes me as unfair that the ISU let's only those whose countries don't own broadcast rights use the ISU channel. Just because a country has broadcast rights doesn't mean that every fan living in the country has access to where it is shown, if, indeed it is shown. I have had years when it was preempted by the station on which it would have been shown and never shown at a later date. Alarm goes off that March Madness is occurring this month lol. Also, often what is gotten is an abbreviated version of the competition.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It strikes me as unfair that the ISU let's only those whose countries don't own broadcast rights use the ISU channel.

It strikes me as unfair that the only things the ISU channel seems to show are Junior Worlds and Senior Worlds...

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
I don't get why they get blocked us... I mean we do have a bunch of resources but why block the ISU Stream? Like I don't have ice network or universal..

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It strikes me as unfair that the ISU let's only those whose countries don't own broadcast rights use the ISU channel. Just because a country has broadcast rights doesn't mean that every fan living in the country has access to where it is shown, if, indeed it is shown. I have had years when it was preempted by the station on which it would have been shown and never shown at a later date. Alarm goes off that March Madness is occurring this month lol. Also, often what is gotten is an abbreviated version of the competition.

If they didn't block it, they couldn't sell the broadcast rights. Ice Network/USFSA thinks it can make money, or at least get back what it paid, by buying the broadcast rights. They couldn't if the ISU feed were not blocked. The complaint should be directed to USFSA/Ice Network for keeping fans and potential fans from seeing figure skating without paying. Why isn't Worlds broadcast on NBC Sports Channel, like the Olympics?

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don't get why they get blocked us... I mean we do have a bunch of resources but why block the ISU Stream? Like I don't have ice network or universal..

Well, the logic can work both ways. I have the $$$, why am I geoblocked from IN when the broadcast rights haven't been sold here?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
.... Why isn't Worlds broadcast on NBC Sports Channel, like the Olympics?

My guess is that the answer is because Universal Sports already had acquired rights to Worlds.

Well, the logic can work both ways. I have the $$$, why am I geoblocked from IN when the broadcast rights haven't been sold here?

My guess is that the answer is that IN bought only U.S. media rights from the ISU -- as opposed to worldwide rights, which presumably would have been more expensive for IN.

It strikes me as unfair that the only things the ISU channel seems to show are Junior Worlds and Senior Worlds...

This season, three GPs also were available on the ISU channel. Rostelecom, NHK, TEB.

yuki

Final Flight

Here in Europe, Eurosport buys the rights to the GP series (of which they have decent coverage) and the big competitions like Euros and Worlds. Their 4CC coverage was so terrible (nothing live, they were showing SD highlights while the Pairs FS was happening etc.) that I ended up watching a Kazakh stream/Youtube videos. I'd have much preferred to have the ISU stream available instead.

Barb

Record Breaker

I think the ISU should create something like icenetwork international (why they don´t do it?), in México the ilegal route is the only option and the streams always are bad quality and with virus.