Caroline Zhang and hip surgery | Golden Skate

Caroline Zhang and hip surgery

Florentina

On the Ice
Crossing my fingers that everything goes smoothly and that she gets lots of care, love and support during the long recovery period!

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Link doesn't work. What kind of surgery is she having?

Grant's profile only displays if you're signed into Facebook. So, if you're not signed in, the link blue dog posted won't display.

HOWEVER, if you use the direct link to Grant's post about Caroline, you CAN read the message if you're not signed in:

https://www.facebook.com/grant.hochstein.3/posts/10205721098887931

To answer your question, he doesn't elaborate as to what kind of surgery.

All the best, Caroline. We're thinking about you.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Florentina

On the Ice
Link doesn't work. What kind of surgery is she having?

I assume it's the surgery she talked about in an interview with TSL. Some kind of complicated hip surgery, not sure about the precise name or procedure. I can't post the link but google it for more info.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Oh no...hope it all goes smoothly and she has a fast and full recovery.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I don't remember the name of the surgery but she has adult hip dysplasia which is a congenital situation. The surgery is very long and involves breaking her pelvis in 4 areas :jaw:. She discussed this in the TSL interview shortly after Nationals. She will be off the ice for a long time and I would be shocked to see her competing next season. This is very different than the torn hip labrum which we've seen quite a bit of in elite skating in the last few years.

I wish her complete uneventful recovery!

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
^Yikes sounds terrible. Wishing Caroline the best and a full recovery.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I don't remember the name of the surgery but she has adult hip dysplasia which is a congenital situation. The surgery is very long and involves breaking her pelvis in 4 areas :jaw:. She discussed this in the TSL interview shortly after Nationals. She will be off the ice for a long time and I would be shocked to see her competing next season. This is very different that the torn hip labrum which we've seen quite a bit of in elite skating in the last few years.

Oh gosh that sounds terrible! :hopelessness:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, I suppose this is something that she needed to have done, at least she got to compete at Nationals this year. I imagine it might take her 6 months to a year to fully recover from with a lot of physical therapy.

Sending healing vibes her way.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Wishing her a speedy recovery. This must be tough for a passionate athlete. REally hope somehow this can turn around to be a positive for her.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That sounds like what Alexei Yagudin had---a congenital hip problem. In his case, because of the quads, it ended his competitive career.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I don't remember the name of the surgery but she has adult hip dysplasia which is a congenital situation. The surgery is very long and involves breaking her pelvis in 4 areas :jaw:. She discussed this in the TSL interview shortly after Nationals. She will be off the ice for a long time and I would be shocked to see her competing next season. This is very different than the torn hip labrum which we've seen quite a bit of in elite skating in the last few years.

I have adult hip dysplasia, I didnt got the surgery because I´m not a athlete that perform in high impact sport. Ýou have some pain, and it is degenerative condition. Most of the time the condition can be corrected as a kid, but the doctor has to catch it early (my doctor saids that it can be corrected when you are a baby)

But basicly your hip is moved. In my case is congenital acetabular dysplasia hip. And the proble is that my legs are separated (in some degree) from my hip.

Edit.

And I think Carolina took the more drastical surgery, maybe because she wants to keep on skating. They are others that don´t need to break the hip.

Last edited:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Sounds even more terrible. So this is a problem that you got when you were born? or it could be because of someone's athletic training? Would this problem be an explanation to Zhang's performance in the past few years?

I have adult hip dysplasia, I didnt got the surgery because I´m not a athlete that perform in high impact sport. Ýou have some pain, and it is degenerative condition. Most of the time the condition can be corrected as a kid, but the doctor has to catch it early (my doctor saids that it can be corrected when you are a baby)

But basicly your hip is moved. In my case is congenital acetabular dysplasia hip. And the proble is that my legs are separated (in some degree) from my hip.

Edit.

And I think Carolina took the more drastical surgery, maybe because she wants to keep on skating. They are others that don´t need to break the hip.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Good luck to Caroline. The surgery sounds really scary... Hopefully she'll have a full recovery.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Sounds even more terrible. So this is a problem that you got when you were born? or it could be because of someone's athletic training? Would this problem be an explanation to Zhang's performance in the past few years?

It happens to 6/1000 newborns (or so my doctor saids). Mostly with girls, and first born girls. It can happened because of genetics or position while born. It can be in one side or both hips. I´m guessing Carolina´s bilateral (both sides) because she don´t look like her legs are deformed (when is unilateral one leg tends to be larger in some cases)

In some cases dysplasia can happened after trauma, but since Carolina said herself that it was congenital (since born) the doctor probably saw something in Carolina´s x-ray and MRI that make him/ her think is congenital (in my case my doctor knew it was congenital because bone material has already formed in my acetabular cavities and my muscles have formed so my legs remain it is place).

I´m guessing yes, a bad performance can be explained with hip dysplasia.

Carolina probably has been feeling pain, and some times lots of pain in the legs, hip, lower back and even the knees, also movility can be affected because of dysplasia, sometimes you feel like your legs get locked. When I was diagnosed I was running, my guess is that running has not nealy as much impact in the hips as skating and jumping on ice, so Carolina must have been enduring lots of pain.

heyang

Record Breaker
I watched the link to the TSL interview and Caroline said she would not be skating during the next competitive season since the recovery is anywhere from 6 to 12 months.... Apparently, she's a 'researcher' and chose a doctor with a high rate of success for the procedure. She also mentioned other instances where she may have gone back on ice before advised after injuries.

She and Grant were very charming together. Seems like they've been a couple for around a year.

Her Pearl spin was also discussed during the interview. She said it's always towards the end of the program because you can't breath when bent backwards that far....