Name one skater and one performance ... | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Name one skater and one performance ...

mrrice

Record Breaker
Elladj, Nam.... Alaine !!!!

Tough luck especially for the latter.

But, I guess in this generation, the one who missed her chance the most is

Liza Tuk.... as a baby here, winning Skate Canada

Tuk, is one of the biggest surprises. She has a National Title, A European Title, She was a GPF Champion, and a World Champion.

Contrast that with Sarah Hughes, National Titles, 0, World Titles, 0, GPF Bronze, World Bronze, and then KABOOM!!!!! Olympic Champion!!!

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
Tuk, is one of the biggest surprises. She has a National Title, A European Title, She was a GPF Champion, and a World Champion.

Contrast that with Sarah Hughes, National Titles, 0, World Titles, 0, GPF Bronze, and then KABOOM!!!!! Olympic Champion!!!

Well in terms of Tuktamysheva her lack of Olympics is really in part why she's got all the others. She said in an interview in the past had she gone to Sochi she might not have continued.

Unfortunately nationals during the Olympic season has typically been a weak outing for her.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Contrast that with Sarah Hughes, National Titles, 0, World Titles, 0, GPF Bronze, and then KABOOM!!!!! Olympic Champion!!!
And World bronze the year before she won the Olymipcs. Kind of similar to Urmanov at the time he won. (Except he stayed in longer afterward and managed to win some more medals at Euros and Champions Series/GP, but never again at Worlds.)

mrrice

Record Breaker
That's right, and was I there. Sarah has a World Bronze, but, I was speaking more about Titles.
Another feather in Sarah's Cap was when she came from 4th, to beat Michelle and Irina Slutskaya at Skate Canada 2001

Michelle went into Salt Lake City as the defending World Champion and heavy favorite.

Last edited:
And World bronze the year before she won the Olymipcs. Kind of similar to Urmanov at the time he won. (Except he stayed in longer afterward and managed to win some more medals at Euros and Champions Series/GP, but never again at Worlds.)
That would make an interesting thread: Olympic champions who skated great at the Olympics to win over more famous rivals who didn't bring the goods. As I recall, Urmanov was well-known in Russia/Soviet Ubion, but was much less in the public eye internationally than Elvis Stojko, Victor Petrenko or Kurt Browning. As a pro he was often cast (in the west and especially the U.S.) in the role of villain, trying to sneak up on the crowd favorite American heroes. I hope he made lots of money. :laugh:

Sarha Hughes actually had a swift abd steady rise, peaking at the right moment. At 2001 Worlds she overtook Maria Butyrskaya for the position of clear #3 in the world. Irina Slutskaya and Michelle Kwan were the Olympic favorites but neither skated her best at Salt Lake City.

As I recall a lot of people thought that Sarah sholuld have been placed ahead of Michelle at 2000-2001 Skate America and maybe 2001-02 Skate America as well, but she hadn't paid her dues yet. (When you go up against the champion you have to knock her out -- you're not going to win on points. )

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
That would make an interesting thread: Olympic champions who skated great at the Olympics to win over more famous rivals who didn't bring the goods. As I recall, Urmanov was well-known in Russia/Soviet Ubion, but was much less in the public eye internationally than Elvis Stojko, Victor Petrenko or Kurt Browning. As a pro he was often cast (in the west and especially the U.S.) in the role of villain, trying to sneak up on the crowd favorite American heroes. I hope he made lots of money. :laugh:

Sarha Hughes actually had a swift abd steady rise, peaking at the right moment. At 2001 Worlds she overtook Maria Butyrskaya for the position of clear #3 in the world. Irina Slutskaya and Michelle Kwan were the Olympic favorites but neither skated her best at Salt Lake City.

As I recall a lot of people thought that Sarah sholuld have been placed ahead of Michelle at 2000-2001 Skate America and maybe 2001-02 Skate America as well, but she hadn't paid her dues yet. (When you go up against the champion you have to knock her out -- you're not going to win on points. )
are you sure you want to reopen this topic ;)

sadya

On the Ice
Country
Netherlands

I remember that people said he couldn't entertain crowds as well as other more popular skaters and that he had to learn to skate more crowd pleasing programs, especially at exhibitions. I actually liked his programs, beautiful skating. He was one of my favourite male skaters in the 90s.

yesterday

Record Breaker
Well, at least they skated great.
Or "skated" great?
Or skated "great"?

:scratch2:
default_95.gif

Actually, the event I was thinking of was the the 1968 Grenoble Olympics, when Wolfgamg Schwarz unexpectedly beat the three-time and reigning world champion Emmerich Danzer. The aptly named Danzer had beaten Schwarz at 1966 wolrds, 1967 worlds, 1966 Europeans, 1967 Europeans and 1968 Europeans, taking gold to Schwarz' silver at all five face-tp-face meetings.

At the Olympics Danzer totally misfired on one of the required figures, which was enough to take him out of the medals altogether, finishing 4th.

Schwarz went on to a life of crime, serving time in prison for human trafficking and kidnapping.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Actually, the event I was thinking of was the the 1968 Grenoble Olympics, when Wolfgamg Schwarz unexpectedly beat the three-time and reigning world champion Emmerich Danzer. The aptly named Danzer had beaten Schwarz at 1966 wolrds, 1967 worlds, 1966 Europeans, 1967 Europeans and 1968 Europeans, taking gold to Schwarz' silver at all five face-tp-face meetings.

At the Olympics Danzer totally misfired on one of the required figures, which was enough to take him out of the medals altogether, finishing 4th.

Schwarz went on to a life of crime, serving time in prison for human trafficking and kidnapping.
I guess this one would be fine to debate... you may be having a monologue though.. not many people in this forum would remember 1968... I mean, my first Olympics as a very young fan were 1988.. :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Both FS skates are on youtube, but oh dear, the fuzzy pictures...
I will stay from such debates :) I have given enough blood, sweat and tears over these in the last 2 decades.... blood, sweat, tears and time I will never get back :)

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I remember that people said he couldn't entertain crowds as well as other more popular skaters and that he had to learn to skate more crowd pleasing programs, especially at exhibitions. I actually liked his programs, beautiful skating. He was one of my favourite male skaters in the 90s.
His programs were strange and definitely not prepared for American audiences. It seemed like he didn't care whether COI/SOI wanted him or not, which was where all the money was back then. It frustrated me because he was a strong skater with really good lines, but hardly any of his programs showcased that. His chicken leg move, the random meaningless hand flips, and answering the telephone stand out as examples of his poor choreographic choices.

I also feel that Christine Brennan in her books turned the screws on him to make him seem worse than he was, and there was always a sense of putting him down. Like in her second book she did her best to portray him as a bachelor mama's boy, and I was like WHY? She was dripping with toxicity when she wrote about him. He deserved better.

sadya

On the Ice
Country
Netherlands
Yes, I didn't like those programs when he tried to be more 'showy'. I have vague memories of a strange Beatles program and something with a cape.

mrrice

Record Breaker

Sarah actually defeated BOTH Michelle and Irina at Skate Canada that season.

rabidline

Final Flight
I'm curious about the other way around. Have there been skaters that you felt will never go to the Olympics because of various reasons (really competitive local competition, very lacking in tech compared to rivals) but ended up going?

Because I remember this one Tumblr post made in late 2013/early 2014 about Shoma saying that he has nice sense of music but will probably only get Senior B competition assignments in his career due to his lack of 3A at his age back then (16/17) but... well you know what happened since.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'm curious about the other way around. Have there been skaters that you felt will never go to the Olympics because of various reasons (really competitive local competition, very lacking in tech compared to rivals) but ended up going?

Because I remember this one Tumblr post made in late 2013/early 2014 about Shoma saying that he has nice sense of music but will probably only get Senior B competition assignments in his career due to his lack of 3A at his age back then (16/17) but... well you know what happened since.
Larkyn Austman, finished 3rd at Nationals... Canada sent her because she had done well enough but I never expected that Alaine wouldn't qualify... As a matter of fact, Larkyn barely beat Alaine at Nationals... (she didn't even have a 3lz if I recall) but Alaine's poor showing in the SP scared the fed enough... that and her poor showing at GPs that season. So this would be for lack of technical arsenal...

SImilar with Roman going.. I was really hoping Nam could finish his career at the games with Keegan... Nam had a disastrous competition. Roman was good enough to go... but had a terrible outing at the games.
I would need to dig further to consider skaters from other nations than Canada or consider much further away in time.. this is just on top of my head. This would be as limited spot and competitive (sort of) field. Deep in my heart I was hoping Jo Phan would make it... he finished 4th, though he finished 3rd in both segments at nationals.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Olga Markova. She and Maria Butyrskaya were the reason why I became a figure skating fan back in the 90s. Olga was the Russian champion of 94 and also the European bronze medalist, but sadly Russia had no spots for the 94 Olympics. Olga also had a great year in 95 but by the next Olympics in 98 she was bested by other Russians. Such a great skater with a unique style. It's fun to see her nowadays as a tech judge - she always looks fierce.