Cats | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Cats

Scrufflet

Final Flight
That's a wonderful image! Thanks for the giggle on a gray, wet, cold, busy workday. My office is freezing, and the thought of a cat sitting on my lap is delectable.

Someone once wrote describing cats snoozing on a sunny windowsill as the world's most efficient passive solar collectors.

I love that!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QTxSR4GpWU&feature=share

I hope this link works, first time I've tried to do it. Another giggle for you.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Olympia, you would adore my cats. Picture this: sitting in my sunroom having tea (or whatever) and sun is pouring in. The fireplace is on. Three cats are snoozing in cat beds or on cat tree. When you arrive, they emerge to see if you've come to play with them. And you do. Chutney, the Coon cat does somersaults at your feet, Jools does her "me too" moves and shoves herself into your lap and your face. All is nice until she farts, yes she does, Ar abella arrives for a lap and a combout. The three play in the cat tunnel and then decide it's time to go back for a nap. Repeat cycle when next visitor comes.

Sounds blissful.

I once had a cat that did a somersault in my presence just once. It's impossible to believe until you see it. But it makes perfect sense. After all, cats don't have bones. They're made of rubber bands inside. It's a well-known fact.

skatinginbc

Medalist
I was told that a cat has more bones (over 240 bones) than an adult human (about 206 bones).
My cat is ambivalent toward water. He likes to watch running water (e.g., dripping faucet, rushing river) but hates to get wet perhaps because it takes quite a bit of work to lick himself dry in the cold Canadian weather.
I'm envious that other cats can do a somersault. Mine has never done one in my presence.

Last edited:
The cat bone count would make sense. I know that in another example, humans and giraffes have exactly the same number of bones in their necks (different sizes, of course)--I think it's seven. But an owl has 14. This is why an owl can turn its head almost completely around, which it actually needs to do because its eyes don't rotate as easily as humans' to see peripherally.

I don't know where cats have their extra bones (well, some are in the tail, but I'm sure they don't have 33 tailbones). Interestingly, a cat has seven neck bones, as we do. I think they're somehow "sprung" differently. I told you--rubber bands must be involved!

Scrufflet

Final Flight
I must also add that when Chuts does his somersaults, he is quite consistent. Complete rotations, thereby earning full points. Excellent GOE!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
please video chuts i have never seen a somersaulting cat. is it like a backward flip?

The one time a cat of mine somersaulted in my presence, he just rolled forward and curled his head down, kind of a shrimp position, so he was on his back and then around and up in no time. It wasn't really a jump or a flip at all. Other cats may approach the task differently. My cat was right by the corner of a wall, and he may have used the wall to slide along. It sure made my jaw drop to behold it. Doubtless somewhere there's some Rory Flack Burghardt of a cat who can execute a somersault in pike position. Cats are talented!

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Funny Olympia, I was wondering where Mike Weiss money making back flip went-he did not use it on Improv Ice Sunday. Maybe it's too risky.

Cats are so adorable. I had to go to the ER (chestpain but not heart) last nite and Otis was sittng on the bed amidst all the lites I left on and he clearly looked like cat parent, wondering why I was coming in at 5 am. He certainly is the most sleepy cat I've had. He is so big, and jumps so easily to the fridge top. I am always amazed by how powerful the haunches are.

I'm so sorry you had to spend time in the ER! I had to put in many ER hours with Mom, and even for a healthy person it's a difficult and exhausting experience. I agree that cats are a comfort after all sorts of ordeals. As amazing as their leaps up are, their jumps down are equally astonishing. How do they land and absorb the shock onto their forelegs without just breaking apart?

Scrufflet

Final Flight
please video chuts i have never seen a somersaulting cat. is it like a backward flip?

Egads! I can barely manage links let alone video! But I will happily describe. First he does a back arch, telegraphing his intentions, then front entry, head tucked in, using his broad shoulders to flip himself forward, then he curls so his point of impact goes from there, through his spine and down to his butt. He ends up with toes up in air awaiting bellyrubs. I've had a few cats do this sideways which is more a shoulder roll but what amazes me is that he is so long (Coon cats are) and does it head on!
If Lord Chutney were a skater, he would have to be Kurt (funny, social, great jumper, versatile, expressive, smart). My Jools, the sort of ragdoll, would be Barb Underhill (small, spunky, likes to be thrown about) and Lady Arabella, the other ragdoll, would be an ice dancer but one who is just too lazy to get out there as she is having a beauty sleep.