CBC, International Skating Union sign broadcast deal | Golden Skate

CBC, International Skating Union sign broadcast deal

merrybari

Final Flight
This is great news indeed. Some of the best coverage comes from there.

Now I hope a US network will be announcing the same shortly.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Now I hope a US network will be announcing the same shortly.

Me too. I can't imagine the ISU leaving the host country without TV coverage though. I'm sure something will be worked out, considering the rather dire situation in Canada got ironed out.

Considering the high-profile team that NBC is putting together to cover the US Championships it would make the most sense to have them cover Worlds as well, but I guess we'll see.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Thank goodness. I had always figured that a deal would be signed prior to the 08 worlds, but I was beginning to get worried. I hope that the American network does as well, so that the US fans can get coverage.

astimegoesby

On the Ice
Thanks for posting the great news here, visaliakid! I never entirely gave up hope of seeing Worlds on Canadian TV this year since Speedy eventually caved in when CBC picked up the Canadian Worlds broadcast rights from CTV back in 2004, but it's great to have official confirmation just the same! :clap:

And I'm keeping my fingers crossed a similar deal can be worked out down in the States.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Did Speedy cave in this time too? Oh boy. this happens once in a blue moon.

Two thumbs up for CBC/Country Canada - same organisation, btw. I hope CBC keeps up with the high standard of TV coverage - covering all the technical elements, while leaving all the gossips out.

CBC web site for figure skating is just fabulous as well. One of the best of its kind. The columns and in-depth articles are really helpful to the followers.

If Speedy is going after big fat cash, he should look into Asian markets. Consumers in Japan and Korea have money with low taxes and their figure skaters are of world class. Their networks can probably afford the money Speedy has been demanding.

CBC is operating on tax money and its budget is really tight. I mean their skating folks are doing fantastic job for the budget allocated to them, which is basically peanuts.

Last edited: