Cities Where ISU Skating Competitions Should Be Held | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Cities Where ISU Skating Competitions Should Be Held

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Personally I'm of the opposite opinion, I wish the ISU would be more openly systematic about holding events in places where people will actually show up.

Say it as I shouldn't, the Japanese fans will scrimp and save and travel the world right now for Yuzu and Shoma, and the other Asian and overseas fans will seriously spend up to travel quite the distance for them too (folk on my feeds were working out how to afford Sydney's 4CC from half a world away). Whether they will get another superstar that inspires that level of fan following - and therefore attracts fans to overseas stadiums as well as domestic - is in the lap of the skating gods. If not, when these boys r****, the Japanese fans will still keep filling rinks locally for competitions and ice shows, but it would be complacency to assume that Canada, for instance, is going to benefit so much as it does now. That's why I suggested that for 2023, the ISU may be playing safe with plumping for Saitama. I understand the frustration, I do.

Maybe the Russian fans will travel the world for their top girls, especially if one manages to escape the pack and become The One (I really thought Trusova was the one most likely to be the next Yuna/Yuzu, but what did I know? Maybe Valieva instead, or Plushy's little girl I can't recall the name of?). Or maybe they'll just stick to benefiting European cities.

I think it's ironic, however, that we have a thread where US cities are being endorsed at the same time as a separate thread about the sport being dead in that country...

Last edited:

Jhar55

Medalist
Nashville TN would be great
Nashville Predators play at the arena, they have two practice rinks areas and also rink over by Vanderbilt be great places for extra practices.
Also if was able to attend have free places to stay, (family)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The US cities nominated on this thread are mostly due to close proximity to the person who suggested it. Driving distance, and in one case.... walking distance! :laugh:
Of course I nominated “walking distance”, which is the closest to my backyard that I am going to get.

A time honored tradition in these threads and I am proud to continue it:biggrin:

Shoma One

Rinkside
I think that possibly the ISU wanted that with the election of Saitama 2023 Yuzuru Hanyu could force another season in the high competition, regardless of what happens in the Olympic Games, and thus offer him the option to say goodbye to the brightest star of this sport in his own country ... It would be a wonderful farewell to the Sun King.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The US cities nominated on this thread are mostly due to close proximity to the person who suggested it. Driving distance, and in one case.... walking distance! :laugh:

Which made me think of the FS world having to come to the spectacularly unexciting - and oh so hot for much of the season - place I live . Oh dear oh dear.... :rofl:

I think that possibly the ISU wanted that with the election of Saitama 2023 Yuzuru Hanyu could force another season in the high competition, regardless of what happens in the Olympic Games, and thus offer him the option to say goodbye to the brightest star of this sport in his own country ... It would be a wonderful farewell to the Sun King.

Hey, we could all go to Yuzu's proximity, Sendai would be more than happy to have us...

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nashville TN would be great
Nashville Predators play at the arena, they have two practice rinks areas and also rink over by Vanderbilt be great places for extra practices.
Also if was able to attend have free places to stay, (family)
I'm looking forward to Nationals 2022 in Nashville and plan on attending!