Cities Where ISU Skating Competitions Should Be Held | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Cities Where ISU Skating Competitions Should Be Held

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Smaller events like JGP, definitely Providence,RI. It is attached to a hotel and a mall. One stop for all.
If we're talking JGP, can Auckland or Christchurch get one too?

NZ isn't as remote as many people think - about 12 hours' direct flight from major skating/transport hubs like Tokyo or Vancouver , which is comparable to the distance from East Asia to Europe. It would be convenient for smaller-fed skaters from Oceania/SE Asia/South America to attend, but also likely to attract some strong competitors (e.g. like how JGP Brisbane had Trusova).

Australia is usually the go-to during the rare instances when the ISU decides to host an event in Oceania. They are certainly the only Southern Hemisphere federation with the infrastructure and resources to support a big event like 4CC. But a JGP stage, without much need for a large audience capacity, would be feasible in NZ and, I think, well-appreciated :)

JGP would also coincide with the cherry blossom/birdwatching season!

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

NZ isn't as remote as many people think - about 12 hours' direct flight from major skating/transport hubs like Tokyo or Vancouver , which is comparable to the distance from East Asia to Europe. It would be convenient for smaller-fed skaters from Oceania/SE Asia/South America to attend, but also likely to attract some strong competitors (e.g. like how JGP Brisbane had Trusova).

Australia is usually the go-to during the rare instances when the ISU decides to host an event in Oceania. They are certainly the only Southern Hemisphere federation with the infrastructure and resources to support a big event like 4CC. But a JGP stage, without much need for a large audience capacity, would be feasible in NZ and, I think, well-appreciated :)

I think that sounds amazing.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

I'm all for New Zealand as well as Australia.

Sydney (hey, and Montreal) should get one to make up for the one they lost, but a little, unabashedly fluffy part of me wants them to go to Perth because they will be able to visit the quokkas, and there are at least five skaters for whom a picture with a quokka would make my life complete.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Irish worlds would be fun!

Unfortunately, it will never happen. Figure skating is too much of a fringe sport on Ireland and, well, the British Isles as a whole.

And anyway, although Dundonald Ice Bowl has the only Olympic sized rink on the island, it wouldn't have the spectator capacity that would be required to host an ISU competition. That said, the other permanent ice rink on the island, which is 5 miles down the road at the Odyssey Arena in Belfast, would definitely fit this requirement. But, I am not sure if an ice hockey rink would be the right size for the ISU.

Personally, if a figure skating competition were to ever come to this island, I think it would have to be a joint bid between the Odyssey and the Ice Bowl. Have the Odyssey as the competition rink, and the Ice Bowl as the practice rink.

The problem is that in non-pandemic times, the Odyssey is the main venue for big events in Northern Ireland. So, it would be very expensive to hire. And I am not sure that the British or Irish Feds would be able to afford it, even if they work together.

So, my suggestion was more of a wishful thinking joke.

In all seriousness, although it would involve nearly all the competitors having to travel a long distance, I would be another member who is all in favour of having events more regularly in Australia. They have a good team, and deserve the recognition. And it would help to raise the profile of the sport amongst the general public.

If we want to raise the profile of the sport in places outside it's traditional heartland, I would like to see a competition in any country in Central or South America. We are already getting promising skaters from countries in Latin America, and if they became the face of an event in their country, it could attract much needed funding for their training. Of course, it would be expensive for their already cash-strapped Feds to hold an event. But, if the cost of the event was subsidised by the government and / or the ISU, it could work.

Another country outside the sport's traditional heartland which I would like to see host an ISU event is South Africa. Cape Town has already hosted a Junior GP back in 2008, and we are long overdue a return to the continent.

And if all this sounds vaguely familiar, it is because I made the same suggestions in a similar thread four years ago! Here is my post about where each of the 2020 ISU Championships should be allocated:

Take particular note of my suggestion for the venue for Argentina's bid for Four Continents...

CaroLiza_fan

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm all for New Zealand as well as Australia.

Sydney (hey, and Montreal) should get one to make up for the one they lost, but a little, unabashedly fluffy part of me wants them to go to Perth because they will be able to visit the quokkas, and there are at least five skaters for whom a picture with a quokka would make my life complete.
Jason and a quokka might be a dreadfully, dangerously cute mix.

Sydney has been given 2023 to make up for this year.

macy

Record Breaker
i know i've said it elsewhere but i'd love for them to start giving big events to Detroit with the new arena. i saw great reviews after they hosted nationals 2 years ago and it's such a beautiful venue, i was lucky enough to ice monitor the senior ladies short program. it was the first time Detroit held nationals since 1994 and have only held one international event in the last 20 some years (Skate America 2013, before the new arena was built). Michigan is a pretty big skating state, so attendance would no doubt do well.

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Unfortunately, it will never happen. Figure skating is too much of a fringe sport on Ireland and, well, the British Isles as a whole.

And anyway, although Dundonald Ice Bowl has the only Olympic sized rink on the island, it wouldn't have the spectator capacity that would be required to host an ISU competition. That said, the other permanent ice rink on the island, which is 5 miles down the road at the Odyssey Arena in Belfast, would definitely fit this requirement. But, I am not sure if an ice hockey rink would be the right size for the ISU.

Personally, if a figure skating competition were to ever come to this island, I think it would have to be a joint bid between the Odyssey and the Ice Bowl. Have the Odyssey as the competition rink, and the Ice Bowl as the practice rink.

The problem is that in non-pandemic times, the Odyssey is the main venue for big events in Northern Ireland. So, it would be very expensive to hire. And I am not sure that the British or Irish Feds would be able to afford it, even if they work together.

So, my suggestion was more of a wishful thinking joke.

In all seriousness, although it would involve nearly all the competitors having to travel a long distance, I would be another member who is all in favour of having events more regularly in Australia. They have a good team, and deserve the recognition. And it would help to raise the profile of the sport amongst the general public.

If we want to raise the profile of the sport in places outside it's traditional heartland, I would like to see a competition in any country in Central or South America. We are already getting promising skaters from countries in Latin America, and if they became the face of an event in their country, it could attract much needed funding for their training. Of course, it would be expensive for their already cash-strapped Feds to hold an event. But, if the cost of the event was subsidised by the government and / or the ISU, it could work.

Another country outside the sport's traditional heartland which I would like to see host an ISU event is South Africa. Cape Town has already hosted a Junior GP back in 2008, and we are long overdue a return to the continent.

And if all this sounds vaguely familiar, it is because I made the same suggestions in a similar thread four years ago! Here is my post about where each of the 2020 ISU Championships should be allocated:

Take particular note of my suggestion for the venue for Argentina's bid for Four Continents...

CaroLiza_fan

I know in the past the JGP has taken place in Mexico City, but I agree that South America needs more skating exposure!

I would think Argentine would be a smart place to hold an ISU Championship, however, I do not know if they have a powerful federation With somewhat notable skaters yet. Therefore, having a championship in Mexico or in Brazil, countries that seem to send skaters to ISU championships more often, would be more probable.

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
i know i've said it elsewhere but i'd love for them to start giving big events to Detroit with the new arena. i saw great reviews after they hosted nationals 2 years ago and it's such a beautiful venue, i was lucky enough to ice monitor the senior ladies short program. it was the first time Detroit held nationals since 1994 and have only held one international event in the last 20 some years (Skate America 2013, before the new arena was built). Michigan is a pretty big skating state, so attendance would no doubt do well.

Yes it would do well! And you never know with Nationals host cities - the Staples Center in LA was chosen to host US Nationals in 2002, and because that Nationals was a success, they bid to host Worlds in 2009 and won.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I hope Montreal gets a shot soon since theirs was cancelled.
How about Dubai? I'm not sure about hosting worlds their but, the ISU might want to think about getting it's feet wet in such a hugely populated city. The UAE is fast becoming an international hotspot and even hosting a GP there could be very exciting for the locals and the skaters.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
How about Dubai? I'm not sure about hosting worlds their but, the ISU might want to think about getting it's feet wet in such a hugely populated city. The UAE is fast becoming an international hotspot and even hosting a GP there could be very exciting for the locals and the skaters.
No figure skating in the middle east. That's all I'll say.

mrrice

Record Breaker
No figure skating in the middle east. That's all I'll say.
Is that a Law? There we no Black Tennis Players in Compton before Venus and Serena showed it was possible. How are the people there supposed to get excited about skating if they never experience it first hand?