Coaches' Corner | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Coaches' Corner

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Hell yes, I wouldn't trust TSL to tell me the weather if they were standing in it!

And on the back of that interview from the psychologist how low is that video? Suggesting Sasha is petty, jealous and hateful? Did she tell them this personally? If not they should keep their mouths shut, as we can see there's already people on the thread thinking Sasha has an attitude problem. The only attitude I saw from Sasha at Stage 2 was a positive one.

Those guys are just awful...

I must say this is so Russian. You read me I said not once they like to criticize everyone and their criticism are too hard. There are a lot of talking shows on the TV....
This psychologist has not met with Sasha personally only read the articles or blogs probably but she has such opinion on a world famous athlete, a proud of Russia. And she talked about it openly. Shame! I recommend her gives back her degree and go to her psychologist and discuss her frustration

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I must say this is so Russian. You read me I said not once they like to criticize everyone and their criticism are too hard. There are a lot of talking shows on the TV....
This psychologist has not met with Sasha personally only read the articles or blogs probably but she has such opinion on a world famous athlete, a proud of Russia. And she talked about it openly. Shame! I recommend her gives back her degree and go to her psychologist and discuss her frustration
Oh I meant the TSL video. Apparently the psychologist talked about how all the coach drama might affect young skaters, fair enough. Then TSL comes along and doesn't seem the least bit concerned about slandering a teenage girl and talking about this like it's a fact. Nuts to those guys.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Oh I meant the TSL video. Apparently the psychologist talked about how all the coach drama might affect young skaters, fair enough. Then TSL comes along and doesn't seem the least bit concerned about slandering a teenage girl and talking about this like it's a fact. Nuts to those guys.
I thought you are talking about the psychologist. I haven't seen the videos and don't want to see them.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
An interesting thought struck me while taking my afternoon walk. Working from home for like half a year already, one needs a fresh air break a c couple of times each day.

With the Darling and the Destroyer of female figure skating (the first in the eyes of many, the latter in the eyes of some) now wearing angel's wings, how would the owner of the Academy of Angels now like to be associated with the image of destroying the mature female artistic figure skating, turning it into a show jumping circus?

The outrage last season or two over Aleksandra Trusova's jumping prowess was clearly directed at Tutberidze's. Has it turned into an asset for Plyuschenko's now, or will this 'hate' of conservatives, purist or however you'd like to call them further on be directed at him?

...and future White House staffers (shout out the Kween!) ...
In terms of her adventures in politics, if it weren't for bad luck she'd have no luck at all. Third time's the charm! :pray:

I love these things because these are not simply athletes, they are performers , and the more depth I can find in their personalities, the greater depth of my appreciation of their performance.

:bow: I love them to pieces. Still, the depth of the issue of who has the silliest schoolgirl crush on Hot Sergei is not exactly my thing. :)

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Let's then immediately raise the age limit for figure skaters to 21 years. Alcohol at this age is allowed to be sold to them "

Two-time Olympic champion Artur Dmitriyev - about the ISU initiative, personal contracts and the right diet

The third stage of the Russian Cup starts in Sochi this week. And there is a high probability that this season the fans will be able to watch only the internal starts of the skaters. The stages of the "Grand Prix" in Canada and France have already been canceled. The holding of the European Championship and the World Championship next year is also a big question. Therefore, every competition is now worth its weight in gold. I discussed the competition calendar, as well as a possible change in the age qualification in women's single skating and the obsession of skaters with their diet with two-time Olympic champion and active Artur Dmitriyev.

https://www.sport-express.ru/figure...onalnyh-kontraktah-i-pravilnoy-diete-1721296/

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
For such a despicable outlet, an impressive list of respected skaters, coaches, choreographers, costume designers and future White House staffers (shout out the Kween!) have willingly appeared on that show.
I've noticed this and have assumed that many of them must not know who they are when they agree to come on TSL.

I remember Plushy giving a really short interview to them a couple of years back and was shocked at TSL having the nerve to approach him considering the amount of nasty things they'd said about him up to that point.

In regards to coaches has Eteri ever spoken to them? Or Brian Orser? Or Raf A?

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well I can respect them for bringing attention to the serious issues, but at the same time their nastiness detracts from it.

I for one can never watch their videos, I tried once but it was about pairs skating, the overwhelming lack of respect given to Tarasova/Morozov and their coach Nina Mozer was unbelievable. Even worse Meagan Duhamel was on and joined in with Dave and Johnathan. It was unprofessional for all involved and basically I wouldn't know any of the serious issues they cover because their coverage of non-serious issues is so offensive.

And wow all those coaches...

Thing is I don't expect them to fawn over Plushy, but to pretend they hadn't just slagged him off is the height of hypocrisy. They should at least have the guts to stick to their convictions, if they think Plushy is a failing-arms, non-artistic, always overscored egomaniac they should say that to his face, not act like they're so pleased to meet him. It'd be like me meeting TAT and telling her I just love her work when we all know (at least on this board) I most certainly don't.

Plus they called Liza T fat. If nothing else I'm not going to ever forgive them for that.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
You are right - she probably does not care what they say, but I think in that case she did actually comment about it on her IG.
I think it was actually one of their regular guests - Doug Haw who made the comments about her weight.
I didn't watch the video, so I don't know if they chimed in as well.

ali0125

On the Ice
Country
Australia
To put things back on topic, why have so many skaters changed coaches over the past summer break? Is it a result of the pandemic, or is it part of a strategic realignment timed to bear fruitful results in Beijing 2022?
Make it or break it vibe?

Talking about Beijing 2022, in men and ladies singles, the only person that doesn't need any change and will win for sure is Nathan Chen (ignore the facts that ice is slippery - and you can't do anything about it). For others, if you don't try something new and take the risk, you may miss the podium or even Olympic team easily.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
But, just here, in this interview with Artur Dmitriev says:

"The girls-boys have a very narrow corridor in weight. Plus two kilograms of optimal weight is a lot.
How does that work though? I often weigh a kilo less in the morning than in the evening. Keeping properly hydrated will add weight and I've heard some coaches/experts say even 300 g will throw a skater off. Is that typical? It seems like technique might be an issue if such a small amount results in a skater "losing" their jumps.

ali0125

On the Ice
Country
Australia
I think you're right, I wouldn't bet against Nathan. There are skaters I will probably enjoy more (Danelian, Kolyada, Gogolev, Brown and Yu-knew-hu), but Nathan just brings a monster truck load of content. It is the era of the Chen Dynasty, and we're just living in it.
Nathan shows pure dominance in the field for quite a while, which makes him the absolute fav of Beijing. Prediction wise, once again, we never know. We've witnessed Michelle, Patrick, Zhenya (and you name more) who dominated the field (or at lease had been the absolute fav) before Olympics and lost to newbies eventually.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
How does that work though? I often weigh a kilo less in the morning than in the evening. Keeping properly hydrated will add weight and I've heard some coaches/experts say even 300 g will throw a skater off. Is that typical? It seems like technique might be an issue if such a small amount results in a skater "losing" their jumps.
It doesn't make physical sense for a kilogramme's difference to mess up jumps. Skaters sometimes train with ankle weights on the ice. And when you sweat or pee you lose lots of water (potentially more than a litre in a day). If a few hundred grammes really made a difference, how would a skater manage during the course of a day's (or session's) training - track their rate of sweat evaporation and urine volume, then drink the same volume of water to make up for it every 30 minutes?

I agree that technique is probably a bigger factor than small weight fluctuations. Bigger changes of 3-4 kg on the other hand (like for someone going through a rapid growth spurt) are a different story, but I think it's not so much the absolute weight change as the distribution of weight/centre of gravity. But then, some skaters like Gumennik deal with it pretty well... probably because they have robust technique :unsure:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
When you are a 40 kgs athlete living on the edge of what humans are capable of, a 2 kgs weight increase is 5%.

A week on a sore ankle, training without loads, while eating an extra piece of sweet chocolate each day to improve your mood ...
One fastfood binge, a copious meal with roast meat at granny's birthday, and you'll need to train extra exercises for a week to burn those 5% off.

You'll probably even feel a 2.5% increase in those ultra-si element, increasing the risk of injury.

Last edited:

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
It doesn't make physical sense for a kilogramme's difference to mess up jumps. Skaters sometimes train with ankle weights on the ice. And when you sweat or pee you lose lots of water (potentially more than a litre in a day). If a few hundred grammes really made a difference, how would a skater manage during the course of a day's (or session's) training - track their rate of sweat evaporation and urine volume, then drink the same volume of water to make up for it every 30 minutes?

I agree that technique is probably a bigger factor than small weight fluctuations. Bigger changes of 3-4 kg on the other hand (like for someone going through a rapid growth spurt) are a different story, but I think it's not so much the absolute weight change as the distribution of weight/centre of gravity. But then, some skaters like Gumennik deal with it pretty well... probably because they have robust technique :unsure:
Mishin (in documentary about Liza) said even 500g of weight change make a difference and cause skaters to lose jumps.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Mishin (in documentary about Liza) said even 500g of weight change make a difference and cause skaters to lose jumps.
But how can that be? A person's weight fluctuates throughout the day. Do they factor this in somehow? Otherwise this raises worrying questions about how skaters deal with eating and drinking on competition days. Did Mishin have anything more to say?

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
But how can that be? A person's weight fluctuates throughout the day. Do they factor this in somehow? Otherwise this raises worrying questions about how skaters deal with eating and drinking on competition days. Did Mishin have anything more to say?
I remember one of the great Russian rhythmic gymnastics coaches said a small plus weight (he talked about a couple of decagrams) can cause injury to the instep bones..In FS you don't forget the skaters must jump really high, the jumps must be very precise, and they land in very thin blades.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I think it's easy to tell the difference between fluctuations due to eating/drinking and you gaining/losing weight. Mishin and other coaches probably are talking about the latter. If you measure yourself at the same time every day, then this assessment will be more telling.
But Mishin studied all of this from physics point of view, so I'd say his words are probably accurate.