Current top skaters for 2022 | Golden Skate

Current top skaters for 2022

kolyadaverybest

Match Penalty
Go through the current top skaters and who you feel will retire, will continue but not to 2022, and those who will continue right to 2022 trying for the Olympics. Obviously a few have already confirmed. Mine would probably go as follows.

Pairs:

Savchenko/Massot- Will go until 2020 worlds, but not for 2022.
Tarasova/Morozov- Will definitely go for 2022.
Sui/Han- Health permitting will go for 2022.
Yu/Zhang- Will probably go for 2022, even though he will be something like 40 then.
Peng/Jin- Will go for 2022.
Duhamel/Radford- Will retire (confirmed).
Stolbova/Klimov- Will go until 2019 or 2020 worlds, but not for 2022.
Volosozhar/Trankov- Will come back at some point this quad, not sure if they will for 2022.
Knierims- Will go for 2022.
Kayne/O Shea- Will go for 2022.
Cain/Leduc- Will go for 2022.
Sequin/Bilodeau- Will go for 2022.
Moore-Towers/Marinaro- Will go until 2020 worlds, but not until 2022.
Denney/Frazier- Will go until 2020 worlds, but not until 2022.
James/Cipres- I thought they were retiring but it seems they changed their mind. Will go until 2019 or 2020 worlds, definitely not for 2022 though.
Zabiyako/Enbert- Will go for 2022.
Astakhova/Rogonov- Will go for 2022.
Marchei/Hotarek- Will go until 2019 or 2020 worlds, but not until 2022.
Della Monica/Guarise- Will go for 2022.

Men:

Hanyu- Will go until 2020 or 2021 worlds, but not until 2022.
Fernandez- Will retire.
Chan- Will retire (confirmed).
Aaron- Will retire (confirmed).
Chen- Will try to go for 2022, but body unlikely to hold up until then, forced to retire sometime in 2020 or 2021.
Kolyada- Will go for 2022.
Aliev- Will go for 2022.
Samarin- Will go for 2022.
Voronov- Will retire.
Brown- Will go until 2020 worlds, but not until 2022.
Rippon- Will retire.
Ten- Will retire.
Uno- Will go for 2022.
Boyang- Will try to go for 2022 Olympics, like Chen I have questions of his body holding up, but more likely than Chen atleast.
Messing- Will go for 2022, despite his age.
Nguyen- Will go for 2022.
Zhou- Will go for 2022.

Dance:

Virtue/Moir- Will retire (and definitely no comeback this time).
Papadakis/Cizeron- Will go for 2022.
Chock/Bates- Will go until 2019 or 2020 worlds, not until 2022.
Shibutanis- Will retire.
Hubbell/Donohue- Will go for 2022.
Bobrova/Soloviev- Will retire.
Sinitsina/Katsalapov- Will retire.
Stepanova/Bukin- Will go for 2022.
Zagorski/Guerreiro- Will go for 2022.
Smart/Diaz- Will go for 2022.
Hurtado/Khaliavin- Will go for 2022.
Gilles/Poirier- Will go until 2020 or 2021 worlds, not until 2022.
Soucisse/Firus- Will go for 2022.
Hawayek/Baker- Will go for 2022.
Capellini/Lanotte- Will retire.
Guignard/Fabbri- Will go for 2022.
Muramoto/Reed- Will go until 2019 or 2020 worlds, not until 2022.
Weaver/Poje- Will go until 2020 worlds.

Ladies:

Zagitova- Will retire, or might go until 2019 or 2020 worlds.
Medvedeva- Will go for 2022.
Sotskova- Will go until 2020 or 2021 worlds, not until 2022.
Pogorilaya- Will retire.
Radinova- Will retire.
Trusova- Will go for 2022.
Tsurskaya- Will go for 2022.
Tuktamysheva- Will retire.
Leonova- Will retire.
Sotnikova- Will retire (if she even counts as not long retired already).
Sakhonovich- Will continue until 2019 or 2020.
Wagner- Will retire.
Nagasu- Will continue until 2019 or 2020, definitely not until 2022.
Gold- Wont return.
Chen- Will go for 2022.
Tennell- Will go for 2022.
Bell- Will go for 2022.
Osmond- Will go for 2022.
Daleman- Will go for 2022.
Chartrand- Will go for 2022.
Young- Will go for 2022.
Da-Bin- Will go for 2022.
Higuchi- Will go for 2022.
Mihara- Will go for 2022.
Sakamoto- Will go for 2022.
Miyahara- Will go until 2020 or 2021 worlds, not until 2022.
Honda- Will go for 2022.
Hongo- Will retire.
Kostner- Will go until 2019 or 2020.
Ha-Nul- Will go for 2022.
Eun-Soo- Will go for 2022.
Tursynbayeva- Will go for 2022.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Gilles/Poirier- Will go until 2020 or 2021 worlds, not until 2022.
I’m curious about your reasoning here. They’ll basically have been waiting a decade to be Canada’s top dog. Unless Soucisse/Firus rocket past them in the standings over the next quad (granted, not impossible) why would they not go to the Olympics when they’d have, at a minimum, an excellent shot at a team medal?

kolyadaverybest

Match Penalty
I’m curious about your reasoning here. They’ll basically have been waiting a decade to be Canada’s top dog. Unless Soucisse/Firus rocket past them in the standings over the next quad (granted, not impossible) why would they not go to the Olympics when they’d have, at a minimum, an excellent shot at a team medal?

If Weaver/Poje stay until 2020, as I predict they will, I dont think they will ever be Canadian #1. I expect both Soucisse/Firus and possibly Lajoie/Lagha to have passed them by then. And if Canadian dance is so weak that Gilles/Poirier are Canadian #1 without W/P around I fully expect W/P to ever stick it out until 2022 or come back for 2022 in that case.

ejnsofi

Final Flight

I wonder why do you think so. I really like Evgenia but I think it's rather Zagitova who has a chance for Beijing than her. Also you missed Kostornaya

kolyadaverybest

Match Penalty
I wonder why do you think so. I really like Evgenia but I think it's rather Zagitova who has a chance for Beijing than her. Also you missed Kostornaya

OGM's usually retire. I expect Zagitova to follow suit, especialy after her horrendous worlds.

And Zagitova hasnt even begun to grow, and has never gone through trials and turbulations as of yet. Medvedeva went through the biggest one of her life with her injury and comeback this year and survived it. She has the hunger and drive of the OGM still, which Zagitova already has lost as she has it. And I doubt even if Zagitova continues if she will survive puberty and the other obstacles she hasnt even begun to face yet. I am not sure with the Russian depth if either could make the 2022 team if they tried, but Medvedeva is definitely far more likely for Beijing than Zagitova is.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Chen- Will try to go for 2022, but body unlikely to hold up until then, forced to retire sometime in 2020 or 2021.

Username checks out. :sarcasm:

But seriously, after his Olympic disappointment, Nathan is more determined than ever to go for 2022. No need to be so negative.

kolyadaverybest

Match Penalty
Username checks out. :sarcasm:

But seriously, after his Olympic disappointment, Nathan is more determined than ever to go for 2022. No need to be so negative.

I am a Kolyada fan but for things like world golds he is a big underdog and very unlikely with or without Nathan, so Nathan doesnt even make much difference in that regard. He will have a hard time staying over Aliev for Russian #1, which is why I am happy he got a world medal this year (should have been silver, but Uno is always held up so oh well).

I like Nathan, just being realistic. He has already had hip problems and the wear of doing all those quad lutzes and quad loops is punishing. I honestly will be surprised if his body holds up to make it to 2022. If he proves me wrong, I wont be dissapointed, just my genuine belief. At best I would give him only 50/50 odds, I dont see that as unreasonable, and if you dont agree, so what, it is my personal view, I am asking others to give theirs and I dont expect anyone to agree with everything I said of like a hundred different skaters anyway.

Danibellerika

Medalist
Go through the current top skaters and who you feel will retire, will continue but not to 2022, and those who will continue right to 2022 trying for the Olympics. Obviously a few have already confirmed. Mine would probably go as follows.

Pairs:

Savchenko/Massot- Will go until 2020 worlds, but not for 2022.
Sui/Han- Health permitting will go for 2022.
Yu/Zhang- Will probably go for 2022, even though he will be something like 40 then.
Peng/Jin- Will go for 2022.
Duhamel/Radford- Will retire (confirmed).
Stolbova/Klimov- Will go until 2019 or 2020 worlds, but not for 2022.
Volosozhar/Trankov- Will come back at some point this quad, not sure if they will for 2022.
Knierims- Will go for 2022.
Kayne/O Shea- Will go for 2022.
Cain/Leduc- Will go for 2022.
Sequin/Bilodeau- Will go for 2022.
Moore-Towers/Marinaro- Will go until 2020 worlds, but not until 2022.
Denney/Frazier- Will go until 2020 worlds, but not until 2022.
James/Cipres- I thought they were retiring but it seems they changed their mind. Will go until 2019 or 2020 worlds, definitely not for 2022 though.
Zabiyako/Enbert- Will go for 2022.
Astakhova/Rogonov- Will go for 2022.
Marchei/Hotarek- Will go until 2019 or 2020 worlds, but not until 2022.
Della Monica/Guarise- Will go for 2022.

Men:

Hanyu- Will go until 2020 or 2021 worlds, but not until 2022.
Fernandez- Will retire.
Chan- Will retire (confirmed).
Aaron- Will retire (confirmed).
Aliev- Will go for 2022.
Voronov- Will retire.
Rippon- Will retire.
Ten- Will retire.
Uno- Will go for 2022.
Boyang- Will try to go for 2022 Olympics, like Chen I have questions of his body holding up, but more likely than Chen atleast.

Zhou- Will go for 2022.

Ladies:

Pogorilaya- Will retire.
Radinova- Will retire.
Tsurskaya- Will go for 2022.
Leonova- Will retire.
Sakhonovich- Will continue until 2019 or 2020.
Wagner- Will retire.
Nagasu- Will continue until 2019 or 2020, definitely not until 2022.
Gold- Wont return.
Chen- Will go for 2022.
Bell- Will go for 2022.
Chartrand- Will go for 2022.
Young- Will go for 2022.
Da-Bin- Will go for 2022.
Miyahara- Will go until 2020 or 2021 worlds, not until 2022.
Honda- Will go for 2022.
Hongo- Will retire.
Ha-Nul- Will go for 2022.
Eun-Soo- Will go for 2022.

Pairs:
Savchenko/Massot- I think they'll do one more season.
Sui/Han- Will go for 2022.

Men:
Hanyu- I think he will do 2 more seasons. If he does 3 seasons he might as well do a full quad. He seems non-committal on that so far.
Chen- Will go for 2022, Though I don't know why his body won't hold up while Vicent's will...
Aliev- Will go for 2022.
Uno- Will go for 2022.
Boyang- Will go for 2022. He is making great strides improving his overall skating by the day.
Zhou- Will go for 2022. Though again, I don't know why his body should hold up any better than Chen's or Jin's from you assessment. Or even Shoma who will be pushing as many quads as he can as well.

Ladies:

Zagitova- Won't retire, but will she make it out of nationals in 2022?
Medvedeva- Won't retire, but will she make it out of nationals in 2022?
Sotskova- Won't retire yet, but won't make it out of nationals either.
Pogorilaya- Won't retire yet, but won't make it out of nationals either.
Radinova- Won't retire yet, but won't make it out of nationals either.
Kostornaia- Will go for 2022.
Tsurskaya- Won't retire yet, but won't make it out of nationals either.
Leonova- Will retire.
Nagasu- Will need to make it out of nationals. Won't go to 2022
Gold- Could return. Will depend on how she reacquires her jumps which will be the challenge. Not holding breath.
Chen- Won't retire, but will she make it out of nationals?
Bell- Won't retire, but will she make it out of nationals?
Miyahara- Satoko wants to try for 2022 and has said so. But with so much competition getting better all the time if she also doesn't improve her jumps it'll be hard to make it out of nationals.
Honda- Will go for 2022.
Hongo- Will retire.

Dance:
Pap and Ciz and Hubbell and Donohue are definitely going to Beijing. I don't follow the others closely enough to speculate.

mau

3Lz3Lo3Lo3Lo3Lo
On the Ice
Zagitova just had a bad skate and some people are acting like her career is over. :scratch2:

yinchulin

Rinkside
I'm a Kolyada fan, but I doubt it……deeply worried about him.

As for Yuzuru, Nathan, Boyang or any quad bodies, I have no doubt they will go for 2022. You can see how determined and strong Yuzuru can be. It's the same situation as Eveagenia.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Zagitova just had a bad skate and some people are predicting that her career is over. :scratch2:

To your point, I don't think that Zagitova's career is over just because of her performance at Worlds, but something tells me she won't have much longevity in the sport. I think without the backloaded Don Q program she's going to struggle against other top contenders, not to mention that if she grows any more it'll likely take some time for her to adjust to her body. I think Medvedeva is in a much better position to continue succeeding from here, but I don't anticipate her making it to Beijing.

NymphyNymphy

On the Ice
Adelina Sotnikova for gold 2022. All jokes aside, I hope Alina can continue to grow and be a contender for 2022. Russian juniors are doing quads already but will they be able to keep them when their bodies grow?

mau

3Lz3Lo3Lo3Lo3Lo
On the Ice
To your point, I don't think that Zagitova's career is over just because of her performance at Worlds, but something tells me she won't have much longevity in the sport. I think without the backloaded Don Q program she's going to struggle against other top contenders, not to mention that if she grows any more it'll likely take some time for her to adjust to her body. I think Medvedeva is in a much better position to continue succeeding from here, but I don't anticipate her making it to Beijing.

I don’t think Zagitova will go to Beijing due to the depth of Russian ladies field, but I don’t think she will struggle next season like some are predicting. She has been growing since before Olympics and despite Worlds, she's doing fine. I expect her to go through puberty as Medvedeva, without much damage. Maybe losing the 3Lz3Lo.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Men:

Chen- Will go for 2022, Though I don't know why his body won't hold up while Vicent's will...

Zhou- Will go for 2022. Though again, I don't know why his body should hold up any better than Chen's or Jin's from you assessment. Or even Shoma who will be pushing as many quads as he can as well.

I think the main reason for OP to think that way is due to Nathan's hip surgery. He had one when he was 16 right?

Vincent, Boyang, Shoma havent had injuries that needed surgery before.
For Boyang, Sui/Han and any China skaters, if its not a career ending surgery, they will compete in 2022 since China will be the host.

kolyadaverybest

Match Penalty

Yes pretty much this. She pretty much has nowhere to go from her. And even as she is a slightly subpar/just back from injury Medvedeva and Osmond are fairly close, and have things they can both easily look to add whereas Zagitova is already maxed out, and is going to continue to have to do that crazy backloaded program which she might not be able to keep doing every year, and hope none of her rivals start doing it also. And if her body changes at all, or she loses any of her consistency, good luck. Or if her already bloated PCS which practically the whole skating community are in an uproar over, drop even a bit.

There are many reasons beyond her performance at worlds to be doubting Zagitova's longevity in the sport as being likely. Along with that the reigning ladies OGM usually doesnt even continue to begin with.

Danibellerika

Medalist
I think the main reason for OP to think that way is due to Nathan's hip surgery. He had one when he was 16 right?

Vincent, Boyang, Shoma havent had injuries that needed surgery before.
For Boyang, Sui/Han and any China skaters, if its not a career ending surgery, they will compete in 2022 since China will be the host.

I would argue he got better after the surgery actually... harder quads and a lot more of them. The hip seems in tip top but I can't say I know for sure.

kolyadaverybest

Match Penalty
I don’t think Zagitova will go to Beijing due to the depth of Russian ladies field, but I don’t think she will struggle next season like some are predicting. She has been growing since before Olympics and despite Worlds, she's doing fine. I expect her to go through puberty as Medvedeva, without much damage. Maybe losing the 3Lz3Lo.

She wouldnt have won either the Europeans or Olympics without her 3Lz3Lo, even with her heavily backloaded programs. Change the points from that to a 3 lutz-triple toe and she has already lost, especialy the Olympics; and if she still barely wins Europeans it is only based on Medvedeva's double axel miss in the short and a few shaky landings in the long now. She also loses in China to Higuchi now, and possibly one of her other grand prixes. So even such a minor point is far from minor in her case.

As I said she is already maxing out in everyway, and all indications are she has to continue to, and hope others who have room to add dont add.

TunaKeem

Rinkside
Kolyada is currently 23 years old, 27-28 in 4 years so I'm not sure if he will remain Russia's top male for that long considering he is barely holding onto that spot currently. Dmitri at 18 (22-23 @ Olympics) seems more viable and he looks to be improving at a rapid pace. But he could get Evgenia'd and another Zagitova/Trusova could come out of the blue in Eteri's factory of amazing athletes.

kolyadaverybest

Match Penalty
Kolyada is currently 23 years old, 27-28 in 4 years so I'm not sure if he will remain Russia's top male for that long considering he is barely holding onto that spot currently. Dmitri at 18 (22-23 @ Olympics) seems more viable and he looks to be improving at a rapid pace. But he could get Evgenia'd and another Zagitova/Trusova could come out of the blue in Eteri's factory of amazing athletes.

I didnt say I saw Kolyada as Russian #1 in 2022. I said I still see him as competing until then. I did not say he will be that successful (neccessarily) or whether he would even make the Russian Olympic team or not.