Current top skaters for 2022 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Current top skaters for 2022

kolyadaverybest

Match Penalty
Zagitova has already a more mature body than Medvedeva at the same age. She can grow again but i don't see a transformation à la Radionova. I don't think she's at her max technically. I wouldn't be surprised to see a quad.

She doesnt have the height or the rotational speed or quality for a quad so I doubt it. Especialy not on the toe loop or salchow when her best jumps are clearly the lutz or loop, and obviously a women isnt going to be doing a quad lutz, flip, or loop anytime soon.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Um did you see the video of Sasha Trusova doing a quad lutz in practice??

kolyadaverybest

Match Penalty
Um did you see the video of Sasha Trusova doing a quad lutz in practice??

Regardless I dont think you will be seeing Zagitova doing a quad lutz anytime soon, and her toe loop and salchow jumps both arent strong enough to turn into a quad. So I dont see that happening and barring a quad or a triple axel (and a triple axel is probably even less likely when her double axel is almost as weak as Medvedeva's, and her worst jump probably) she is already maxed out, backloading and all, while none of her current competitors, Medvedeva included, are.

Anyway this site is so ridiculously pro Zagitova it might as well change its name from Goldenskate to ZagitovaPalace, so I wont bother much more with logic or say anything about her unless it is "Zagitova is the best skater ever, who is being underscored and should get all 10s in PCS, and could win the next 5 Olympic Golds" since that is the only thing people here wouldnt gripe about.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I thought Zagitova herself said she’s not aiming for quads (I’m not 100% certain of this though)

millie

Medalist
Regardless I dont think you will be seeing Zagitova doing a quad lutz anytime soon, and her toe loop and salchow jumps both arent strong enough to turn into a quad. So I dont see that happening and barring a quad or a triple axel (and a triple axel is probably even less likely when her double axel is almost as weak as Medvedeva's, and her worst jump probably) she is already maxed out, backloading and all, while none of her current competitors, Medvedeva included, are.
Anyway this site is so ridiculously pro Zagitova it might as well change its name from Goldenskate to ZagitovaPalace, so I wont bother much more with logic or say anything about her unless it is "Zagitova is the best skater ever, who is being underscored and should get all 10s in PCS, and could win the next 5 Olympic Golds" since that is the only thing people here wouldnt gripe about.

You are so correct, there are a few people (not the mods) on Golden Skate that are trying to close threads because they don’t like what people are discussing. I visited the thread about the Russian Ladies and I was literally reduced to shreads with the bullying and the demeaning attitude that they had towards me. Then they come to another thread and try to bully with their antics. Dare to mention another figure skater only theirs...oh my....

Mentis

Spectator
Unless Medvedeva is going to do the triple axel or quads, aren't those two basically on the same boat?
They were only about a point apart at the Olympics. Whatever advantage Zagitova got from "maxing out" jumps and backloading was almost nearly matched by Medvedeva's advantage in things like PCS. So yes, you can argue that Medvedeva can close the gap by upping her backloading, but logically, it also follows that Zagitova can increase her scores by improving her PCS.

I'm not particularly invested in either skaters. Frankly, I doubt either of them will make it to 2022 given younger Russian skaters with the 3A/quads that neither of them can match. But since we're merely discussing hypotheticals, I don't think having a slightly more positive outlook for Zagitova somehow means I'm some kind of illogical superfan.

PomeloPooh

Rinkside
Hanyu - Until the most recent interview he has been saying that he hasn't made any decision yet. He might just compete and see how things go, like two seasons ago he was almost sure he'd retire after Pyeongchang, but now he's definitely staying.
At the press conference after Oly fs, he said that with the 2nd OGM his dream's come true, and what's left is 4A which is "a goal, a childhood vision, not a dream." According to people from his team, 4A might come as early as next season, so what's after that? Like BOrser said, Yuzu always needs a goal to go on, so we'll see if he finds a new one. (Doesn't a third OGM sound appealing Yuzu?)
He's still so young (think of Kolyada who's same age as him and "just starting"), but also had so many injuries that are unlikely to heal completely.
Another factor that might come into play is the new scoring system. From what we've heard, as long as they stick to the rules instead of start throwing candies right away, I think it's pretty in favor of Yuzu.

Medvedeva - She's stated clearly that she intends to go for 2022. While there're legions of young Russian girls, I think Zhenya has the advantage of a) having already survived puberty, and b) being very consistent and reliable. These factors make me think that she'll have an 2022 Olympic spot, even though I can't say if she'll be the favorite. Also, she's training a 4s, which she's rotated but has issues with landings.

Chen - His going to Yale instead of a Californian college has made things seem very unclear for me. I just don't see how anyone can manage to study pre-med full-time and stay on top of a highly competitive sport at the same time, not to mention being thousands of miles away from your coach. He seems to want to do that, but apparently hasn't discussed with either Arutyunyan or Yale yet.

Ziotic

Medalist
Hanyu - Until the most recent interview he has been saying that he hasn't made any decision yet. He might just compete and see how things go, like two seasons ago he was almost sure he'd retire after Pyeongchang, but now he's definitely staying.
At the press conference after Oly fs, he said that with the 2nd OGM his dream's come true, and what's left is 4A which is "a goal, a childhood vision, not a dream." According to people from his team, 4A might come as early as next season, so what's after that? Like BOrser said, Yuzu always needs a goal to go on, so we'll see if he finds a new one. (Doesn't a third OGM sound appealing Yuzu?)
He's still so young (think of Kolyada who's same age as him and "just starting"), but also had so many injuries that are unlikely to heal completely.
Another factor that might come into play is the new scoring system. From what we've heard, as long as they stick to the rules instead of start throwing candies right away, I think it's pretty in favor of Yuzu.

Medvedeva - She's stated clearly that she intends to go for 2022. While there're legions of young Russian girls, I think Zhenya has the advantage of a) having already survived puberty, and b) being very consistent and reliable. These factors make me think that she'll have an 2022 Olympic spot, even though I can't say if she'll be the favorite. Also, she's training a 4s, which she's rotated but have issues with landings.

Chen - His going to Yale instead of a Californian college has made things seem very unclear for me. I just don't see how anyone can manage to study pre-med full-time and stay on top of a highly competitive sport at the same time, not to mention being thousands of miles away from your coach. He seems to want to do that, but apparently hasn't discussed with either Arutyunyan or Yale yet.

I strongly agree with you about Medvedeva, I think she has the grit and motivation to keep going until 2022. She has survived puberty and can now work at improving her jumps with her new body. Although there are legions of new juniors, who knows how they will develop; injuries, growth spurts and their mental game can all have huge impacts on the future. Just look at Marin Honda, everyone had her in the running as THE girl from Japan and she was more or less a non factor in her senior debut.

I think Chen may go the route of taking a season or two off with light training and competing and then returning in 2021 to start really training for a run at Beijing.

I hope Yuzu continues for as long as he is happy competing, he really has nothing to prove at this point.

Winry

On the Ice
I love to imagine 2022 as the « revenge » for 2018 Silver medalist.
None of them are going to retire (exept for an injury, hope they don’t)
They are on the top but still hungry

Evgenia, Sui/Han, Shoma and Papadakis/Cizeron for 2022 Gold :hap10:

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Evgenia, Sui/Han, Shoma and Papadakis/Cizeron for 2022 Gold :hap10:
I have a massive wish for these 2 acts in particular...

Yes I was more than thrilled for Aljona/Bruno obviously and I'm glad that they won the LP (I prefer when the winner wins the LP), but the only "reason" I wanted them 2nd is for them to be out for blood for that Olympic Gold in home soil. That could be one of the greatest Olympic moment in the history of figure skating !

As for P/C, I just don't want that much talent not rewarded, especially after the frustration of the SD and winning the FD. They already are one of the best Ice Dance team I've ever seen in my life, and I hope it continues that way. China is a good omen for them though : 1st GP win, 1st Worlds win, 1st time to break 200. Maybe Gold is waiting for them over there.

Shoma needs to stop being the male Sasha Cohen and start winning titles and not be the Silver King ! But for him and Zhenya, it might be very tough... singles can be very random one year to the other, and finding a Javier or a Yuzu today could be as hard as a consistent winning Lady. I hope the best for them !

Truth is, I want Alena Kostornaia to win Gold in Beijing... I hope she can keep her jumps. But as for everyone above, Zhenya is so talented and you hope it can click at the right time.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Adelina Sotnikova for gold 2022. All jokes aside, I hope Alina can continue to grow and be a contender for 2022. Russian juniors are doing quads already but will they be able to keep them when their bodies grow?

Growing could be Alina's problem ditto for Trusova - puberty can change everything.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I have a massive wish for these 2 acts in particular...

Yes I was more than thrilled for Aljona/Bruno obviously and I'm glad that they won the LP (I prefer when the winner wins the LP), but the only "reason" I wanted them 2nd is for them to be out for blood for that Olympic Gold in home soil. That could be one of the greatest Olympic moment in the history of figure skating !

As for P/C, I just don't want that much talent not rewarded, especially after the frustration of the SD and winning the FD. They already are one of the best Ice Dance team I've ever seen in my life, and I hope it continues that way. China is a good omen for them though : 1st GP win, 1st Worlds win, 1st time to break 200. Maybe Gold is waiting for them over there.

Shoma needs to stop being the male Sasha Cohen and start winning titles and not be the Silver King ! But for him and Zhenya, it might be very tough... singles can be very random one year to the other, and finding a Javier or a Yuzu today could be as hard as a consistent winning Lady. I hope the best for them !

Truth is, I want Alena Kostornaia to win Gold in Beijing... I hope she can keep her jumps. But as for everyone above, Zhenya is so talented and you hope it can click at the right time.
I wish Sui and Han well though my heart is with Stolbova and Klimov though I am not sure they will last that long. The 2014 silver medallists. There is something about them. I also have a soft sport for T and M as well - not Candyman though. I just don't think they have that special something which I see in S and K. The problem/challenge is everyone wants a fairytale ending and there is only (usually) one gold medal. It worked for S and M they got it all and in a glorious way. Great skates - though considering it was Aliona lest we forget it never included her dream the triple axel. She really wanted it and she got it :) Didn't work for Stolbova, Kavaguti, Moore-Towers - all very determined skaters.

Shoma is not really a Sasha. Sasha was a bit of a head case and had magical things - style, grace and spins. If you mean Susan Lucci finishes - second / runner up sort of though Sasha doesn't have thatmany seconds but we get the idea. I think Shoma just needs his moment.

P/C - I think Beijing is their's to lose. I am not sure where to put them in greatness as it is hard to compare them with skaters of yester years. Two things that prevent them imho of being among the greatest - forget they don't as of yet have an OGM. Gabby is improving but visibly her edges/skatingskills are not as good as the best and then there is a lack of diversity at this point shown in their range of skating. I would be curious during this era of IJS or COP where would this rank and in particular ahead or behind Davis and White assuming V and M were first. This does not include looking at Torvill and Dean or the old Russian greats or a team Klimova and Ponamarenko, Bestimianova and Bukin, Krylova and Oksianikov?, Gritschuk and Platov, G and P from France, et al.

and yes Evgenia appears to have the fortitude the issue is witht he Japanese army and up and coming Russians allow her to shine in Beijing?