Daleman dazzles in Vancouver - 10 triples | Golden Skate

Daleman dazzles in Vancouver - 10 triples

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gabrielle Daleman was red hot in her resurrected “Rhapsody in Blue” free skate to win her second Canadian National Championship and upset the figure skating apple cart that predicted teammate Kaetlyn Osmond’s coronation before Vancouver’s meet. The two-time Canadian champion finished at the Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre with a combined score of 229.78 with a record free program score of 151.90. The precocious skater landed every triple jump in her programs – ten in total.

More...
“After I skated that program, I couldn’t have been more proud of myself,” the exuberant 20-year-old said. “Through the entire year that I’ve had, through all the ups and downs, it is the absolute best birthday present I could ask for. I have my national title back. I have a new Canadian record. And most importantly, it’s on my birthday in front of my home country which is so near and dear to my heart, so it means the absolute world to me!”

Very impressed! 10 solid triples total (7 in the long) with the exception of a an Edge call on a flip in the FS. :cheer2:

Last edited:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I'm literally so happy for Gabby. She's always been my favorite Canadian skater and to see her lay it down and get her second title on her twentieth birthday is so amazing. What a great birthday present: a Canadian title for the second time AND a new Canadian national record!! Very well deserved. It will definitely be interesting to see how she performs at the Olympics and worlds...

lyndichee

Medalist
I'm happy for her. In addition, the CBC article on her was lovely too. She talked about how up until she made the 2014 Olympics, she was still being bullied. Now that she has spoken out, some have apologized and said "I'm sorry I didn't realize."

I think people should be more cognizant of that point when commenting on figure skating. I am glad people like Gabby, Gracie and Yulia have been public about their struggles with self-esteem. Madison Hubbell also commented on her body image issues on her reddit post as well.

Grin

Medalist
Happy for Gabby. Everybody says her title is a great birthday present, but she worked very hard for it, skated strong and beautifully. Well-deserved victory!

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Delighted for Gabby. I adore her strength and athleticism. It must feel so powerful to be able to stick it to the bullies the way she has now - good for her!!!!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Congratulations to Daleman (and her coach)!!! Feeling very happy for her... I wonder though if this title will lessen her Olympic pressure or increase it?

anyanka

Record Breaker
I'm literally so happy for Gabby. She's always been my favorite Canadian skater and to see her lay it down and get her second title on her twentieth birthday is so amazing. What a great birthday present: a Canadian title for the second time AND a new Canadian national record!! Very well deserved. It will definitely be interesting to see how she performs at the Olympics and worlds...

I was there! It was STUNNING in person. I loved her skate at 2017 worlds and always loved her jumps, but was admittedly skeptical if she could have held it together and win over Kaetlyn (who I also like very much). I was very, very happy to have been proven wrong. I'm unsure if she can win next month with that, but if she skates just like that, she'll be a serious contender for a podium spot. And we sang Happy Birthday to her after she got off the ice, what a great day!!

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
I was there! It was STUNNING in person. I loved her skate at 2017 worlds and always loved her jumps, but was admittedly skeptical if she could have held it together and win over Kaetlyn (who I also like very much). I was very, very happy to have been proven wrong. I'm unsure if she can win next month with that, but if she skates just like that, she'll be a serious contender for a podium spot. And we sang Happy Birthday to her after she got off the ice, what a great day!!

The happy birthday was such a cute attention! You could hear on the stream. How was the Carmen dress in real life?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
After a tumultuous season, home girl has put herself back in the Olympic podium conversation and showed everyone why she is the reigning World bronze medalist.

Love that she went back to Rhapsody in Blue, and she's packed more content into it and is clearly riding a wave of confidence. I can't believe she was actually sick, because this is the best we've seen from her.

Gooooo Gabby! :clap:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Yes, she dazzled. And bolded her name in Canadian skating history. Hopefully she will insert her name into the Olympic history next month as well.

Go Gabby go!