Dance OD post comments and PBP Here | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Dance OD post comments and PBP Here

oleada

Record Breaker
I hope not. I like R/G's FD much more than C/Z's.

Me too. Their programs have a lot of character and they are a very musical team. We had a discussion on the other thread about how C&Z deserve better programs.
Out of the other teams, I've only seen the Shibutanis & Ralph & Hill's FD. The Shibutanis have a good dance with great moves, but I'm a little disappointed with R&H's FD this year - it seems that they've tried to go the romantic route, but I think they can do something more interesting than that.

Vincero

Rinkside
I hope not. I like R/G's FD much more than C/Z's.

Count me in as one who doesn't get C/Z. However, I've only seen their LP from a home video, so the quality of the video might have affected how the performance looks and my enjoyment of it. I quite like R/G's FD. Really intricate, complicated choreography and the 007 theme can be seen throughout. A bit too wild for me, but I still like it.

Regarding the Shibutanis, I hope it's just nerves. I didn't see the problem of Maia having to catch up with Alex or the messiness in their performances in their JGP events. It's a bit too early to comment on their consistency I guess, with this only being their 3rd international competition.

rosee

On the Ice
It's a bit too early to comment on their consistency I guess, with this only being their 3rd international competition.

If you are refering to me, I'd like to say that I was talking about The Hubbells ;)

Vincero

Rinkside
If you are refering to me, I'd like to say that I was talking about The Hubbells ;)

No, I wasn't referring to you. It's just a random thought. :)

Regarding the Hubbells, could they still be affected by last season's injury? But they also had some problems with low levels in their JGPs IIRC.

Binthere

On the Ice
Quite a few surprises with obviously disappointing performances for the Hubbells and Shibutanis. Both teams have such strong free dances and hopefully they will put out programs like they did in the series itself.

Riazanova/Guerrero seemed to deliver the goods best so it is perplexing to see how they finished behind Chock/Zuerlein.

Maia Shibutani apparently had a painful foot injury today which couldn't have helped.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Americans lead in original dance at JGP Final

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081211&content_id=57168&vkey=ice_news
The Junior Grand Prix Final opened in Goyang City, Republic of Korea, today with the original dance competition using music from the '20s to '40s. Compulsory dances are no longer part of the competition at the Final.

Three U. S. dance couples came into the Final ranked first through third and one team took the lead after the competition, but not the favorite. Two of the teams could not get through their synchronized twizzles without major errors.

lmarie086

Medalist
Noooo the Hubbells!! = (

I hope they regroup well and come back fighting tomorrow.

Not that I've seen anything, but if both R/G and C/Z went clean, R/G should've gotten the edge, IMO. Their dances are much better and they have a strong style to their skating.

All skaters fall. It's just in competition that it hurts more. Even if they win the FD, the Hubbells will not get more than bronze. So sad about the Shibutani's. I was looking forward to them for a better show.

But.... All those low comments about Chock and Zuerlain on the preliminary thread, and they won the OD!!

oleada

Record Breaker
But.... All those low comments about Chock and Zuerlain on the preliminary thread, and they won the OD!!

The comments were spot on. They are technically very good, but their program and expression is nothing to write home about. My only beef about the judging last night was the fact that they were first. Should not have happened.

lmarie086

Medalist
Like oleada said, Chock/Zuerlein are very good technically, but their programs aren't anything special. We're really talking about two different things I think. Good skaters can skate a boring program clean, but that doesn't mean people are going to like watching it. That's what the comments in the other thread were really getting at.

The comments were spot on. They are technically very good, but their program and expression is nothing to write home about. My only beef about the judging last night was the fact that they were first. Should not have happened.
Never anything wrong with one man's opinion. Oh those judges, how can we believe them? ;)

missysays

On the Ice
I finally got a chance to watch the junior ODs and the sense that I got across the board were that they were all nervous-- every last one of them. These are the top junior ice dancers in the world but they're also on the same stage for once with the top Senior ice dancers. It must be intimidating to look up and see Domnina/Shabalin watching you carefully.

Just some impressions of the last flight:

RIAZANOVA & GUERREIRO had the most accessible program. It really drew you in because they only used 2 pieces of music so it had time to develop a mood. Technically I think they were on the same level as Chock and Zuerlein at this stage in their careers. But they have a fun on-ice personality, Katia is very elegant and stylish and Jonathan looks like a young Tommy Tunes. I look forward to their FD which I haven't seen yet this season.

CHOCK & ZUERLEIN had a pretty clean dance. They did well with the technical difficulty. This program doesn't show them off to their best advantage- too many cuts of music. I think they have great performance potential though- last year's OD and FD were performed very well. I'm looking forward to their FD- while it's not a unique theme- Phantom of the Opera- I think they do a good job. But I think it shows Igor and Marina's juggling act that their junior teams don't always get the most original programs.

HUBBELLS had a really mature presentation- out of all the teams they look most ready to be Seniors at this point. Though they need to work on their technical cleanness which comes and goes when they're stressed. Too bad for the fall.

SHIBUTANIS had an uncharacteristically sloppy program. But I don't think they were out of their league at all. Their performance was still spot on and free and easy even with the technical mistakes. If Maia could just grow at least up to Alex's shoulder, they wouldn't have as many problems with their "little kid" looks and the slight disconnect in their partnering. But I think they'll learn their lesson from this outing and come back again in the future. There's a basic cleanness, good quality, and precision to their positions and technique that's better than most of the couples in this field.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Also, if Maia's foot is hurt, that can't have helped them. I do so hope that they continue to skate together, because they have a great on-ice personality when they're at their best. And they are also a Shpilband jr team, so they manage to project decently even with the Shpilband generic stuff coming their way.

dancemaster

On the Ice
I finally got a chance to watch the junior ODs and the sense that I got across the board were that they were all nervous-- every last one of them. These are the top junior ice dancers in the world but they're also on the same stage for once with the top Senior ice dancers. It must be intimidating to look up and see Domnina/Shabalin watching you carefully.

Just some impressions of the last flight:

RIAZANOVA & GUERREIRO had the most accessible program. It really drew you in because they only used 2 pieces of music so it had time to develop a mood. Technically I think they were on the same level as Chock and Zuerlein at this stage in their careers. But they have a fun on-ice personality, Katia is very elegant and stylish and Jonathan looks like a young Tommy Tunes. I look forward to their FD which I haven't seen yet this season.
A few photos can be seen here,,,http://www.ice-dance.com/riazanova-guerreiro/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=12

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tommy Tune is 6'6" tall and his legs are so long that he looks as if he is on stilts when he dances. Sorry, I don't see the comparison to Jonathan Guerreiro who looks quite normally proportioned to me.