Death to the Australian skater | Golden Skate

Death to the Australian skater

MollyPoke

Spectator
When you come from a country like Australia you can't but be disappointed. For one, ice skating isn't big here. There aren't enough rinks, and there definately isn't enough support. There are some though, that strive to skate no matter what obstacles they have to come through the nation's ignorance of the sport.

However, It's not just ignorance that poses a problem - with such little attention to ice skating, those in charge can set and change the rules as they like. Why else would five-time and current Australian senior champion, with the highest international rating for an Australian is shunned from the Olympic selection? Australia only qualified one olympic spot (senior ladies, of all the disciplines) and now the wrong skater will be competing. Please feel free to view the following article:

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/de..._id=448470&category=General Sport&m=12&y=2005

This isn't only the death to Miriam's dream, It's enough to kill my enthusiasm for the sport.

IndieBoi

On the Ice
That's truly unfortunate... I hope it gets resolved fairly before the games.

Ironically, though, it's the other way around in the US. USFSA had always maintained that only the national champ receives automatic berth to the Olys, but when Kimmie and Michelle were nominated, many screamed how Michelle got the nod at Hughes' expense when Hughes never secured the spot to begin with.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
But Carter had beaten Manzano twice in the last 2 4CC. You could argue that she is being held up by the National Federation for some reasons. Clearly, international judges feel that Carter is a better skater, so I can't argue against the Federation that wants to send skater that is seen more favorable internationally.

I have been following this saga for a while, I really felt for Miriam especially since she said that for 2005 4CC she didn't have the time to prepare and she wasn't told that 4CC placement would be considered.

However, she was beaten by 4 spots at the latest 4CC. To me that reaffirmed the original decision by the Australian federation to send Carter.

havanamesa1

Rinkside
IndieBoi said:
... USFSA had always maintained that only the national champ receives automatic berth to the Olys, but when Kimmie and Michelle were nominated, many screamed how Michelle got the nod at Hughes' expense when Hughes never secured the spot to begin with.

Maybe these stupid Americans whining "unfair" mistook Emily Hughes as the one who won the US championship 9 times and also as the one who won the world championship 5 times? Maybe they think it was Emily Hughes whose SP and LP were 3rd in the world championship in her first-ever CoP competition?

guinevere

Final Flight
I thought this thread was about Australian skating :scratch:

While I think it was unfair for the Australian skating federation to not tell the skaters in advance that the 2005 4CC's would be the Oly trials, Miriam's skate at this year's 4CC's did absolutely nothing to further her case. I believe she withdrew the petition after that?