Denis Ten looking to rebound | Golden Skate

Denis Ten looking to rebound

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Although Denis Ten is only 24 years old, he has already written sports history by becoming the first figure skater from Kazakhstan to win an Olympic medal and World medal. However, the 2014 Olympic bronze medalist has also seen his share of “downs”–especially during the last two seasons–in his competitive career that started ten years ago.

More

“Figure skating never was like that before, and today, it is obvious that the sport chose its vector for years to come,” Ten pointed out. “Standards have come up, not only in the technique, but even in the physiology. Once, there was the period of the battle of Alexei Yagudin and Evgeni Plushenko that pushed a galaxy of athletes forward. There was the period of artistic personalities that gave us the unforgettable programs of Stephane Lambiel, Daisuke Takahashi, Jeff Buttle and others. Each athlete influenced the generation that competed after them. Today, there is a new tendency that creates an absolutely new contrast and this again, will not go by without leaving a trace. To me, this is great. It is great for the community of our sport that comes into contact with a new chapter in the transformation of a whole era of figure skating.”

I so miss the days of Yagudin, Lambiel, et al that had so much artistry - specifically in footwork. While the quads have changed skating forever, I wish for the old days of good ole footwork.

Here is wishing Denis Ten a healthy season!

noskates

Record Breaker
I so miss the days of Yagudin, Lambiel, et al that had so much artistry - specifically in footwork. While the quads have changed skating forever, I wish for the old days of good ole footwork.

That sentence sums up my feelings exactly. I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I honestly wish the IFS would limit the number of quads that can be used in any program. To me it just detracts from the beauty and grace of the sport. I miss Yagudin, Lambiel, Browning, Eldredge, etc. They were exciting to watch and you weren't holding your breath that they were going to land quad after quad after quad. They skated to the music, not just setting up for the next monster jump. I'm still holding out hope for Jason Brown and Patrick Chan to somehow prevail in an otherwise totally athletic sport. It IS possible to mix artistry and athleticism but to do both extremely well is getting rarer and rarer.

Good luck to Denis in the upcoming season.

Barb

Record Breaker
“Today, analyzing my options, I don’t know how long I’m going to skate,” he said. “There is a high probability that after Pyeongchang I will remain in the sport, but at the same time, you cannot discard the thought that the ‘day X’ will come. (Eventually) I will have to take the decision that each professional athlete has to take.”

Great!!! :hap57:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Thank goodness he's not working with Morosov for his programs. That is by far the best news I've heard pre-GP so far.

Ender

Match Penalty
Ten's music cuts last season still haunt me till now... so yeah good that there will be no Morozov.