Did Kostner deserve the bronze? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Did Kostner deserve the bronze?

jennyanydots

On the Ice
How can you attribute two foot skating to choreography? Other skaters are slammed for two-footing their landings (Ashley Wagner comes to mind for example) and it's just considered poor technique or nerves. That bothers me less than skating half way across the rink before executing a jump. I accept that Caro is graceful. I do not agree that she has the best skating skills or that she does something wondrous with her edges. I also equate her bronze medal to a seasoned actor finally winning an Academy Award "because it was his/her time!"

I think if Caro competes in GPs next year she runs the risk of besmirching her bronze medal.....

Um, two-foot skating and two-foot landings are entirely different things. :rolleye: Carolina is not a chronic two-foot lander. There's nothing techinically wrong with two-foot skating although having more one-foot skating shows off skating skills more, but it's not like she can't do it. Her Bolero program is heavily influenced by the ballet where the dancer spends most of the time on two feet hence the choreography.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
IMHO Carolina is like a cheap or poorly made Chan. She is good/great at pcs but not in his category but gets treated like him - she is overmarked. She deserves good pcs but her skating skills and definitely her transitons are not even comparatively as great as Chan yet somehow she wins more easily or does well than Chan did when he was skating or if he was skating (as he may come back i guess). Anna probably was undermarked as she is so new but life isn't fair. Carow really lucky and has been lucky as a skater now I hope she moves on as she has had her 15 minutes of fame and it is more than she probably deserved. I am not so convinced Bolero is at great of a program.

BS. If she were treated like Chan she would be winning a bunch of events with 4 or 5 mistakes like he does, but she never does. Heck Kostner skated CLEAN at the Olympics and probably deserved to win and was still awarded only 3rd place, with the winner skating 70% as well as she did.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Um, two-foot skating and two-foot landings are entirely different things. :rolleye: Carolina is not a chronic two-foot lander. There's nothing techinically wrong with two-foot skating although having more one-foot skating shows off skating skills more, but it's not like she can't do it. Her Bolero program is heavily influenced by the ballet where the dancer spends most of the time on two feet hence the choreography.

Technically, two-footed skating is seen as a bad thing, along with repetitive choreography and skating around predominantly in one direction (usually CW) or predominantly skating around either forwards or backwards. I don't mind some two footed skating if there's enough interesting one-footed skating in between.

R.D.

Record Breaker
It's hard to say... she gave her best EVER performances at the Olympics. While it might seem nice to go out on a high note after a long career, it's apparent that she's still competitive. I mean, she pulled 203 points overall, and 126 points with that kind of freeskate. That would quite possibly win every GP event next year with Mao out of the picture, and easily get her into the GPF.

True...well, if she wants to continue, whatever I guess.

pamela

Rinkside
I also equate her bronze medal to a seasoned actor finally winning an Academy Award "because it was his/her time!"

Leonardo Dicaprio disagrees! Hahaha

I think Pogo was doomed at the beginning bc of her group. If she would have been in one of the top groups in the SP, she could have definetely won the bronze. But hey it was a huge jump from 10th place at nationals to 4th in the world

jennyanydots

On the Ice
Technically, two-footed skating is seen as a bad thing, along with repetitive choreography and skating around predominantly in one direction (usually CW) or predominantly skating around either forwards or backwards. I don't mind some two footed skating if there's enough interesting one-footed skating in between.

Well, I meant technically literally but I guess I didn't make that clear. It's not a technical flaw that should automatically incur deductions like two-footing or under rotating jumps. But yeah, you're right and how it negatively impacts a program depends on the overall construction and choreography.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Skating can be an unfair sport as we all should know by now. However, I do think Carolina deserved that bronze as I think she's unmatchable right now in terms of PCS (and yes, not even by Yuna Kim).

Glad someone said she is in a league of her own. Her SP would be worth the price of a tix to ladies Olympics or world. Mao and YuNa cannot crete the majic that Caro can and they are beautiful skaters. The LP winner at worlds for me was Ashley Wagner in terms of PCS. She flew across the ice and there are only a handful of women who can make any program look good. Caro deserved the gold if you support beauty on ice. Sadly the sport favors tiny, short limbed girls who rotate quickly. Caro has lovely jumps. To me, it does not matter if YuNa Kim has a never miss harder 3x3. Caro has everything else. I watch her not to count rotations, check correct edges which I need slo mo to catch anyway. She is what skating was all about. She is the only one where you go, OH beauty, she loves doing this. Aside from Akiko who can be majestic in her own tiny way. Caro has those legs and arms that make you feel you are watching a balachine trained dancer who decided to fiqure skate. Her LP was not her best, sadly. But I am so happy she did not quit a few years ago. The judges have to love someone like her. Anna was amazing technically. Just wow. But I have forgotten her music, her program. She and Adelina have no charisma at present. Altho Anna was better than Adelina at the Olympics for me. If Anna keeps skating, and they concentrate on finding her better music and she does develop, I think she will surpass Sotnikova (or should and Julia as well.

Julia has better music, better phrasing. But I am already tired of seeing Russian teens who think gumby is what skating is. There is no Sasha Cohen in Russia. Sasha had stunning programs despite falls. I think Anna may be the one to watch, and she and Julia will fight. I think Sotnikova may do a sarah hughes and disappear into Russia's many ice shows. I imagine she will get commercials and many things to do. I wonder if she will work much on her presentation given how she won the gold on technical skating.

Thank God for Caro and Mao at these worlds And Gracie and Ashley especially. They should be winning because they can skate with beauty in these IJS days that often disappoint artistically.

gettinglow

Match Penalty
Glad someone said she is in a league of her own. Her SP would be worth the price of a tix to ladies Olympics or world. Mao and YuNa cannot crete the majic that Caro can and they are beautiful skaters. The LP winner at worlds for me was Ashley Wagner in terms of PCS. She flew across the ice and there are only a handful of women who can make any program look good. Caro deserved the gold if you support beauty on ice. Sadly the sport favors tiny, short limbed girls who rotate quickly. Caro has lovely jumps. To me, it does not matter if YuNa Kim has a never miss harder 3x3. Caro has everything else. I watch her not to count rotations, check correct edges which I need slo mo to catch anyway. She is what skating was all about. She is the only one where you go, OH beauty, she loves doing this. Aside from Akiko who can be majestic in her own tiny way. Caro has those legs and arms that make you feel you are watching a balachine trained dancer who decided to fiqure skate. Her LP was not her best, sadly. But I am so happy she did not quit a few years ago. The judges have to love someone like her. Anna was amazing technically. Just wow. But I have forgotten her music, her program. She and Adelina have no charisma at present. Altho Anna was better than Adelina at the Olympics for me. If Anna keeps skating, and they concentrate on finding her better music and she does develop, I think she will surpass Sotnikova (or should and Julia as well.

Julia has better music, better phrasing. But I am already tired of seeing Russian teens who think gumby is what skating is. There is no Sasha Cohen in Russia. Sasha had stunning programs despite falls. I think Anna may be the one to watch, and she and Julia will fight. I think Sotnikova may do a sarah hughes and disappear into Russia's many ice shows. I imagine she will get commercials and many things to do. I wonder if she will work much on her presentation given how she won the gold on technical skating.

Thank God for Caro and Mao at these worlds And Gracie and Ashley especially. They should be winning because they can skate with beauty in these IJS days that often disappoint artistically.

Eh, no, Carolina did not deserve the gold medal. She has a very impressive footwork sequence at the end of her Bolero LP, but the rest of her program is pretty vacant and mostly unmemorable.

As for Adelina, yes, she'll probably pull a Hughes after next season. The other Russian girls coming up will most likely steal her technical thunder, and she never really had an artistic persona to speak of, so there's nothing there to improve upon.

Yulia is a big question mark. I believe she has some impressive performance ticks, but overall she is a bit too morose and tends to confuse flexibility with emoting. I wonder if she grows what will happen to her tiny little jumps.

Alba

Record Breaker
Julia has better music, better phrasing. But I am already tired of seeing Russian teens who think gumby is what skating is. There is no Sasha Cohen in Russia. Sasha had stunning programs despite falls.

Thank god there are plenty of people who love her skating, and her "gumby" style. No need for another Sasha Cohen, there was one. Next please.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Thank god there are plenty of people who love her skating, and her gumby style. No need for another Sasha Cohen, there was one. Next please.
:agree:
Sasha is a beautiful skater but never been consistent at all. It's good we have a new generation with Julia, Anna...in the lead.

Alba

Record Breaker
Sasha is a beautiful skater but never been consistent at all. It's good we have a new generation with Julia, Anna...in the lead.

I loved Sasha. I have all her videos, although I cannot enjoy them so much because of her falls. I still get frustrated. :bang: :laugh:
She was gorgeous!
Having said that, I have no need to belittle a skater (maybe Larionov only, yet I can still see some good qualities in him:laugh:) in order to appreciate another one, even when I don't like a certain skater and there are plenty.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Sasha was a lot older too so give these girls and they are girls a bit of time.

Meoima

Match Penalty
But it's true that now Kim, Mao and Caro stay out of the field, we will have to wait for these little girls to grow up and show that they can improve their artistry. It would cost us one or two year at least.

Tutto

Record Breaker

If Sasha was inconsistent then what would you call Caro for instance? Sasha was not perfect and usually fall once in her LP missing on gold but her senior competitive records show she never placed lower than 4th with 2 exception: GP Sparkassen 1999/2000 (5th) and Skate America 2000/2001 season (5th) (had a problem with her back that season). in my book it is damn impressive compared to highs and lows of Caro, Shizuka, Slutskaya and pretty much everyone else with exception of Michelle.

YLFan

Match Penalty
I believe the only time Carolina finished ahead of Yulia this season was the Olympic individual.

Meoima

Match Penalty
If Sasha was inconsistent then what would you call Caro for instance? Sasha was not perfect and usually fall once in her LP missing on gold but her senior competitive records show she never placed lower than 4th with 2 exception: GP Sparkassen 1999/2000 (5th) and Skate America 2000/2001 season (5th) (had a problem with her back that season). in my book it is damn impressive compared to highs and lows of Caro, Shizuka, Slutskaya and pretty much everyone else with exception of Michelle.
I am comparing Sasha to the new girl, not Caro if you know what I mean. Yulia has been very consistent this year. Anna also made a good impression in Worlds. I am not saying they are more beautiful skater than Sasha but Sasha retired already. And the new girls, until now, have shown that they have great potentials. And that is interesting to watch. :popcorn:

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
"Deserve"

I always shake my head at this flexible and well intended word when it comes to figure skating …