Did the ISU make an anti stuffie rule? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Did the ISU make an anti stuffie rule?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Where do they get them in the first place? I mean, it's not as if Detroit would have a beach littered with dead octopi? Does a fish market stock them specially on game day: "Get yer nice dead octopus here!"?

I'll watch the clips after lunch. Or maybe I won't until somewhat later.o_O
IIRC there were vendors allowed right outside the arena that sold them. :laugh:🐙

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They did then. This was about ten years or more ago when I was in a decluttering mood. I didn't auction them, just made them Buy It Now items. One person bought five -- skating, gymnastics, Highland dance medals, a piano competition trophy. He said he wanted them as props for an indie film. You could try mentioning that possible use in the listing?
Ooooh good idea. I only want to keep the semi important ones, like my first triathlon one.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was just going to mention this even though figure skating and ice hockey are completely different cultures all together!:laugh2: The playoffs with the Detroit Red Wings have the octopus throw when they score during the playoffs and only during the playoffs. There was also a time when the Florida Panthers fans threw rats when they scored.:eek2:

There was a time when FS fans threw flowers to the skaters but it got stopped after too many skaters were skating over the floral debris on the ice and it causing issues. They'll occasionally depending on the event, let some florals the arena sells that are sealed off (usually a single rose or whatnot) go but most of the time it's been banned. I used to love watching the flowers rain down but after having baby's breath(tiny flowers) that were in a bouquet get caught on my blade and mess it up and almost cause a re-injury to my ankle, I was over flowers and supported the later ban on them.
I know they are different. But who wouldn't rather a nice clean stuffie than...well, you know what.

I'm sorry you almost got injured. I remember Dorothy Hamill picking flowers up off the ice. But for me it's even more fun to personally hand the flowers to Gracie!:love:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I guess Yuzuru Hanyu could open an ebay store to sell his extra pooh bears. Fans would be paying a lot of money for it ;)

That's a great idea! Except I don't think he needs $$$. But I could be wrong. He could donate all the proceeds to charity.
He definitely doesn't need the money :coffee: and he and his sponsors now sells his own merchandise, which no one is throwing anywhere (our preciousssesssssssss). As for the pooh bears of his competitive years, I think someone mentioned he always had them donated to the hospitals near to the different venues. God knows how many went to Korean kids after PC. Disney made a heap of money out of all that, they did.

I don't think we're likely to see rains on that scale again, not just because of the fan base size but because the pandemic cut through it. But some gentle rain of stuffies is nice, and good PR.

They would throw them from the top and they'd land in the middle, some people would pick them up and throw them onto the ice, some people just left them. I've seen cameramen beaned on the head by plushies meant for Nathan.
A Pooh bear once landed on a judge, I have it on video, I did wonder if they kept it? :rofl:

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
^^ it was a joke :)
Sorrreeeeeee.....

More seriously (not) I have always wondered if the kids who collect them all of the ice get offered some of the plush toys. It would be a nice souvenir, they always seem to be so busy and serious scurrying around even before the toys have stopped coming down :biggrin:

Last edited:

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
There are some issues also when throwing things:
- people throw them from they own seats which are at upper levels and hit other people or cameramen in audience, I've seen this happen in live events.
- mass of poohs or anything may disturb the next skaters warm-up, if there is still some to skate.
- they do announce many times during competition, please pack your toys and flowers, but we have seen a mass of unpacked furry toys on ice, haven't we?
- people throw also "hard" packages. Not many, but I've seen it a few times.

Some skaters pick so many as they can with them, but it seems some couldn't care less.

Finland has had a "mittens' knitting project" for skaters, this year for Finlandia T and GP Espoo. I did not have time to knit before deadline, because of noticing it not in time, but I bought one unused pair from charity sales knitted by somebody else and sent it I would have bought more, but it was summer sales and there was only one pair left. If there are more pairs than skaters or their team members who take it, they celebrate the rest to charity. Even skaters live in warm country, mittens are needed in places they compete, like Finland in November. In October maybe needed, maybe not. I like this project and next year I will knit some pairs of mittens, if there is similar project. I think it is ok to give toys and things, but maybe the system needs to be more organized, to avoid issues I mentioned. How, I don't know yet or don't have time to think. I will let you know if I found out something.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
- mass of poohs or anything may disturb the next skaters warm-up, if there is still some to skate.
Didn't Chen once jokingly say that a minor benefit of skating after Yuzuru was that they knew they'd have extra time to mentally prepare?
:laugh:
I guess he also pays that forward now.
Re the hard packages question, there was a woman once who accidentally threw her purse in the excitement... yeah, they need to be careful. But it still seems rather a pity to cut off what has been a good-natured tradition that also is a source of some good publicity.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There are some issues also when throwing things:
- people throw them from they own seats which are at upper levels and hit other people or cameramen in audience, I've seen this happen in live events.
- they do announce many times during competition, please pack your toys and flowers, but we have seen a mass of unpacked furry toys on ice, haven't we?

Some skaters pick so many as they can with them, but it seems some couldn't care less.

Finland has had a "mittens' knitting project" for skaters, this year for Finlandia T and GP Espoo. I did not have time to knit before deadline, because of noticing it not in time, but I bought one unused pair from charity sales knitted by somebody else and sent it I would have bought more, but it was summer sales and there was only one pair left. If there are more pairs than skaters or their team members who take it, they celebrate the rest to charity. Even skaters live in warm country, mittens are needed in places they compete, like Finland in November. In October maybe needed, maybe not. I like this project and next year I will knit some pairs of mittens, if there is similar project. I think it is ok to give toys and things, but maybe the system needs to be more organized, to avoid issues I mentioned. How, I don't know yet or don't have time to think. I will let you know if I found out something.
I would like to learn to knit so I can knit mittens but I have no idea how to knit and I am also losing grip strength in my right (dominant) hand.
There were 2 ladies from Canada (I know this because they had Canada jackets covered with autographs of many, many, many skaters that they wore only to Worlds).
One of them knitted something for every single skater. (it was something small, I couldn't tell what, perhaps a bookmark?) But every single skater got something. It took her all year.

They were up there in age in 2016, I hope they are still healthy and able to travel to worlds.

icewhite

Record Breaker
Of course throwing hard items should be forbidden. But stuffies are usually not hard. So it should not be a big problem if they hit somebody. And I think Hanyu was the only skater to ever get such a flood - annoying for some, I can imagine, but an exception. I don't think that's a downside so terrible that it warrants a complete ban.

If official charities don't want them and there are many at one event the skaters can't/ don't want to take home, I would think it should be easy enough to just store them for a few days, announce in a small local newspaper and the internet that you can pick them up at a certain time (one per person), and I'm sure there will be lots of children coming and taking them. Seriously, what a luxury problem to have: "we have a mountain of unused stuffies but we couldn't check if they were really all totally clean, so what do we do with them?" Believe me, there are people who are happy to get a free plush toy, whether it is 100% certified bug free or not.

gkelly

Record Breaker
If official charities don't want them and there are many at one event the skaters can't/ don't want to take home, I would think it should be easy enough to just store them for a few days, announce in a small local newspaper and the internet that you can pick them up at a certain time (one per person), and I'm sure there will be lots of children coming and taking them.
Who's going to do this?

The arena management? They have no connection to figure skating except to provide the venue and collect the rent. They will have moved on to focus on the next sports or other events taking place in the next days.

Or the host club/federation (mostly volunteers)? They would have to take the items home with them or to some other storage facility, and it would be extra work to place an announcement and be on hand for the pickup date, when they're probably burnt out and recovering from all those long volunteer hours to put on the big event.

Some ISU/federation employees are paid for their work organizing the event, but they probably don't live/work locally so taking the items with them would be much more of a hassle and the advertisement to pick them up would take place at a location with no connection to the skating event.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@cheerknithanson has a funny story about a hat she knitted for Ilia.
Okay I'll tell it. I mean the funny part comes at the end. It was after the Stars on Ice show in Baltimore. I had a M&G for it. I had made a hat for Ilia that that had multiple shades of blue on it with stripes and the middle had his name knitted in English and Cyrillic (Plus two squares at the end cause I was lazy and didn't want to tack any floats). So once I came up to Ilia I told him that I made a hat for him that I knitted and had his name in English and Cyrillic. I'm pretty sure he liked it at least cause he was showing it to Isabeau (Who was next to him) and he was pointing at some parts of it. She was impressed too. So I came prepared for the next part. I told that whatever he does, to please NOT wash the hat in the washing machine or dryer because the yarn isn't machine washable (Non-superwash wool) and will shrink and never stretch out again. I had a hat with me of the same type of yarn that unfortunately got washed. So I brought it with me to hone in the point. And he laughed when I pulled it out and said "Or else it'll end up looking like this."

Last edited:

icewhite

Record Breaker
Who's going to do this?

The arena management? They have no connection to figure skating except to provide the venue and collect the rent. They will have moved on to focus on the next sports or other events taking place in the next days.

Or the host club/federation (mostly volunteers)? They would have to take the items home with them or to some other storage facility, and it would be extra work to place an announcement and be on hand for the pickup date, when they're probably burnt out and recovering from all those long volunteer hours to put on the big event.

Some ISU/federation employees are paid for their work organizing the event, but they probably don't live/work locally so taking the items with them would be much more of a hassle and the advertisement to pick them up would take place at a location with no connection to the skating event.

I don't see the problem to store them somewhere at the venue, wrap them all between one big plastic sheet, have one hour when a volunteer gives them away.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't see the problem to store them somewhere at the venue, wrap them all between one big plastic sheet, have one hour when a volunteer gives them away.
I would obviously have the skaters pick and keep what they want, next choice to sweepers, then give them away. Children's hospitals in the area could be contacted in advance to see if they want them. Petsmart sells stuffies every year with the option to buy and donate to the children's hospital (actually I think it's just the hospital, my town is not big enough to have a separate hospital for children). This is something a volunteer could do from far away, I would even do it, it's a few minutes on the phone.

Most skaters do not get many things. Often the only things the juniors get are things I personally throw. Whether they eventually keep them or discard them, I find joy in their joy over having them in the K&C. The massive floods come to Jason, Ilia, etc. The major top big name skaters.

The poohs are not happening anymore.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Where do I sign up? I'm ready.

Me too. :)

Can't believe all the "issues" raised about stuffies. The same "issues" could be raised about a sunny day. When the organizing clubs (feds) and current skaters on the Junior/Senior Grand Prix, Nats and Worlds complain as much as fans, then I will take heed.

That said, those Finlandia mittens were Da Bomb!:rock:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Who's going to do this?

I'm with @moonvine, let the sweepers (and even invite any children in the audience who want to stay behind afterwards and grab a couple, as souvenirs) get their pick. There simply won't be the huge numbers to deal with, at least in the foreseeable future, though they were wonderful when they happened, and a way to get press attention and photos. Spread the simple joys, folks.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm with @moonvine, let the sweepers (and even invite any children in the audience who want to stay behind afterwards and grab a couple, as souvenirs) get their pick. There simply won't be the huge numbers to deal with, at least in the foreseeable future, though they were wonderful when they happened, and a way to get press attention and photos. Spread the simple joys, folks.
That's an amazing idea! Make young fans with stuffies!