Dream music choices 21/22 edition | Golden Skate

Dream music choices 21/22 edition

LutzDance

On the Ice
There was a thread on the same topic for the 19/20 season, but it's been archived. Thought it should be fun to run another wishlist before all the skaters announce their programs (although one can still dream for alternatives for those who already did!)

I'll go first:
1. For Nathan Chen
There's some interesting discussion in the fan fest, and my personal favorites include Shostakovich Piano Concerto No.2: Andante, Mozart Piano Sonata No.8: Andante Cantabile, Poulenc Concerto for Two Pianos and Orchestra: Larghetto, and Ravel Piano Concerto in G. I would also recommend Moondog and David Brubeck for the short program.

2. For a Russian pair team, maybe TM? Shurale Pas de Deux
I was reminded of this sweet, folk-infused piece of music by another post today. The music structure of the pas de deux should be good enough to be directly lifted into a long program, but there're also more intense bits of music elsewhere in the ballet for dramatic supplement.

Along the same line, the Russian ballet company Igor Moiseyev Ballet has some dance pieces featuring fun folk music adaptable for figure skating, such as Yablochko and Sirtaki

3. For skaters looking for a Chinese-themed program:
-Zang Xin (Burying a Heart) from Center Stage, a movie about the silent movie star Ruan Lingyu
-Yu Guang Qu (fishing song) from the Radio Wave that Never Dies, one of the most popular pieces of dance theatre in China in recent years. It sort of fuses traditional Chinese dance with contemporary choreography
-Theme song of the movie Swordman, preferably an instrumental version
-The exquisite Rain Falling from the Roof by Yo-Yo Ma and Wu Tong
-Some instrumental version of My Motherland. This one is for Team China only because it's pretty explicitly propagandist...However, it's also a genuinely well-written piece of music, and the building toward the emotional climax would make it great for a long program. I think the audience at the Olympics (if there is one) would love it.

ps. I'm equally stirred in excitement and trepidation that we're probably going to see a bunch of Chinese or East Asian themed programs next year. Please, Turandot or Madame Butterfly, while great in their own rights, does not represent of East Asian culture...

4. For unspecified skater: Dwa Serduszka from the movie Cold War
My favorite song from this music-filled movie, and should make for a great melancholic short program.

5. Again for unspecified skater: music from the film Soul, such as It's Alright
It's more like a prediction than a recommendation. Soul won an Academy Award for Best Original Score this year so I won't be surprised if someone uses it for their (short) program.
Similar for Ludovico Einaudi's Low Mist, which I liked since it came out and attracted more attention from being featured in Nomadland.

6. Pink Martini songs, such as Sympathique
I'm thinking of Marin Honda for this song but it could also be someone else. Pink Martini is chic and adorable. Why no one has ever chosen their music for skating?

Last edited:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
ps. I'm equally stirred in excitement and trepidation that we're probably going to see a bunch of Chinese or East Asian themed programs next year. Please, Turandot or Madame Butterfly, while great in their own rights, does not represent of East Asian culture...
:cheer2:(People are probably tired of me harping on about this by now...)

I wonder if figure skating choreographers will browse this forum...

Sibelius's Violin Concerto was a nice non-piano suggestion that popped up in Nathan's fanfest. I think the preponderence of classical music suggestions was more because a lot of us happen to be fans of the genre, and because he's one of a minority of skaters who do it justice, but he can pull off pretty much anything.

Random suggestion: Les Choristes for a young and charming ice dance team (e.g. Rumak/Goncharov?)

farornaskonung

Rinkside
Thank you! I have been waiting for this thread :hap10:

A song that I have been thinking about for years and that I really believe in as a skating song: Waters of the Wild - Steve Hackett. Maybe for Nathan or Yuzuru. Or anyone that can pull of a powerful song in a convincing way.

A song I think could be suitable for pair skating: Long Long Way to Go - Phil Collins. Beautiful, in a way still modern, dramatic, but not overdramatic. But perhaps it's the latter that works best in figure skating ;)

Also for pair skating: In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel. Not sure it would work but hey, it's an amazing song! Maybe a cover would be better, I think I have heard one that's a bit more jazzy but couldn't find it right now.

One of the most beautiful acoustic songs, according to me: Sanctuary - Anthony Phillips. Soft, emotional, piano piece. I'd prefer it for ice dance I think, but to hear this song in any context would make me happy. If Han Yan continues (please!) I think it could suit his skating style. I mean, he's practically a solo dancer that also does beautiful jumps.

If you are a Genesis fan, you might recognize that I'm one too;)

Last edited:

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
May I ask, which one(s) and for whom? Also, is there any great Wagner program from the past?

(Eying Kevin Aymoz)
i don't know of any Wagner's program, but i've been following the sport just from 2014. The Ride of the Valkiryes could be a good fit for an energetic lady such as Trusova, Tannhäuser Overture for Nathan Chen. i see Aymoz as a better Napoleon than a Sun King :LOL:

LutzDance

On the Ice
Sibelius's Violin Concerto was a nice non-piano suggestion that popped up in Nathan's fanfest. I think the preponderence of classical music suggestions was more because a lot of us happen to be fans of the genre, and because he's one of a minority of skaters who do it justice, but he can pull off pretty much anything.

Random suggestion: Les Choristes for a young and charming ice dance team (e.g. Rumak/Goncharov?)
I proposed Sibelius :rock: I didn’t mention it here partly because I fear the beautiful high notes from the violin solo will be butchered by arena sound broadcast systems:p And yeah for sure I’d love to see Nathan skate to something modern and hip. I just haven’t listened to enough music to make a suggestion (and the discussion didn’t quite turn that direction).

Les Choristes is an amazing suggestion - love the music from the movie - and especially for Anna and Gleb :love2:

Last edited:

merrymarch

Spectator
If I was a skater, I would skate my short to Sleepwalk by Santo and Johnny and my long to the Diva Dance from the 5th Element.

LutzDance

On the Ice
The Ride of the Valkiryes could be a good fit for an energetic lady such as Trusova, Tannhäuser Overture for Nathan Chen.

The Ride of the Valkyries could work well for Sasha! As for Nathan, I mentioned something similar in the fan fest - I find the most impressive thing about him is his introspective and reserved musical expression, which shines the most in a soft, slow movement like Truman Sleeps from this year's long. Tannhäuser feels too outright glorious and majestic for him. But of course different people see different things in each skater, and maybe he'll do a splendid job should he be given this music :)

A song that I have been thinking about for years and that I really believe in as a skating song: Waters of the Wild - Steve Hackett. Maybe for Nathan or Yuzuru. Or anyone that can pull of a powerful song in a convincing way.

A song I think could be suitable for pair skating: Long Long Way to Go - Phil Collins. Beautiful, in a way still modern, dramatic, but not overdramatic. But perhaps it's the latter that works best in figure skating ;)

Also for pair skating: In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel. Not sure it would work but hey, it's an amazing song! Maybe a cover would be better, I think I have heard one that's a bit more jazzy but couldn't find it right now.

One of the most beautiful acoustic songs, according to me: Sanctuary - Anthony Phillips. Soft, emotional, piano piece. I'd prefer it for ice dance I think, but to hear this song in any context would make me happy. If Han Yan continues (please!) I think it could suit his skating style. I mean, he's practically a solo dancer that also does beautiful jumps.

Thank you for these great recommendations! I can see Nathan do Waters of the Wild - it sounds like something that Shae would have fun choreographing. It also gives me Stone Roses vibe (in particular Waterfall). I'd be very happy if someone skates to them.

Last edited:

Skate2Music

Rinkside
It's been a while since I last posted. However, the Olympics season is drawing me back. I'd like to see someone skate too.

The Red Poppy Suits NOT JUST THE RUSSIAN SAILOR DANCE.
Teenage Shizuka Arakawa Skated to it at the 98 Olympics with choreography by Toller Cranston RIP.

Bronte On Ice Either Jane Eyre or Catherine Earnshaw.

Hamlet on Ice w/ Music by Tchaikovsky.
The Tempest by Sibelius

Any ballet like the Red Shoes or Wild Swans.

Finally, for our Russian Princesses, Anna Pavlova on Ice, first skated to by the lovely Aliso Lozko.

So many choices. The list could be endless. Who would you match to from this list? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
some daring men could try Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake, and to stay in ballet field, i think Liam Scarlet's Frankenstein or Christopher Wheeldon's Winter's Tale could work on ice. other ballets that never hit the ice (to my knowledge) are Mayerling and Manon and both are a good fit for ice dance teams

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you! I have been waiting for this thread :hap10:

If you are a Genesis fan, you might recognize that I'm one too;)
In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel has been done, several times by pairs and ice dancers.

LutzDance

On the Ice
Bronte On Ice Either Jane Eyre or Catherine Earnshaw.

The Tempest by Sibelius
Welcome back and thank you for sharing all these wonderful music suggestions! I especially like Sakamoto's theme for Wuthering Heights (watched the movie but had no idea he composed the music) and The Tempest by Sibelius. The former could make for a haunting free dance by a pair with both power and connection...maybe Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen? I would love Viveca Lindfors to skate to Sibelius but sadly she retired :(

I'd love to see someone skating original program to The Rite of Spring https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF1OQkHybEQ maybe with some interesting costume.:giggle:
I've been saying over and over that I want more Stravinsky on ice. Firebird is pretty frequently used (Gracie and Tatsuki come to mind) and we've seen the Rite from Nathan and Petrushka from Tomoki in recent years, but he has a lot more interesting and danceable music to offer. Any music that Balanchine used for choreography is cool, such as Rubies and the Violin Concerto. The Ebony concerto is also edgy and fun to listen to. Honestly I feel Stravinsky's music is cooler and more modern than the majority of pop music 😜

some daring men could try Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake, and to stay in ballet field, i think Liam Scarlet's Frankenstein or Christopher Wheeldon's Winter's Tale could work on ice. other ballets that never hit the ice (to my knowledge) are Mayerling and Manon and both are a good fit for ice dance teams
I distinctively remember suggesting Manon and supporting Mayerling as music choices in the 19/20 thread. Maybe you were the poster who mentioned Mayerling :laugh: Well, two years have passed and no such dance has been created. While Anna did use Elegie in her SP, the orchestral version of which is part of the Manon Act I pas de deux, the program had nothing to do with Manon.

Along the same line of ballet music, I want to see someone do a McGregor on ice. Woolf works has some pretty skatable music and Chroma is great for an avant-garde program. Kazuki's SP from 2019 had some great ideas in it but I'd be excited to see more exploration of McGregor's unique choreographic language.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
A Winter's Tale would be great, especially the shepherd's dance scene! Music rights might be a bit tricky but maybe if they talk nicely to Joby Talbot and the Royal Opera House...

Elegie which is in Manon's score was used by Anna Scherbakova this season (although it doesn't look like it was inspired by the ballet). Lots of other nice pieces of music to use though. I think it would have to be a very daring ice dance team to pull off Mayerling 🤔 Maybe attach a skull to the man's shoulder a la Jean-Luc Baker's swan costume :LOL:

I'm still depressed about Liam Scarlett 😢

ETA: Cranko's Onegin ballet? It uses a score cobbled together from random bits of Tchaikovsky's music including Francesca da Rimini which has been skated to before (e.g. Sui/Han in 2015), but I don't think anyone has tried portraying the actual Onegin story yet.

Idiote

On the Ice
I'd love Rika or Kaori to skate to a piece by Hiromi Uehara - maybe Sicilian Blue, Spark or Kaleidoscope. She's an amazing artist with such talent and personality, sure jazz is challenging to dance/skate to, but with the proper editing I'm convinced it would make the best program for a fellow Japanese lady :clap: I can especially imagine Rika skating to Spark.

But Kaori seems to dwell in film soundtracks (Amelie, The Piano, Matrix...), and as a film editor myself I must admit that's one of the reasons she's my favourite skater ^^' If she lets go of Matrix for next season :)(), but wants to stay in the SF cult classics/warrior woman vibe, why not go for Ghost in the Shell ? The music is superb, and I don't think it's been done before.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
I distinctively remember suggesting Manon and supporting Mayerling as music choices in the 19/20 thread. Maybe you were the poster who mentioned Mayerling :laugh: Well, two years have passed and no such dance has been created. While Anna did use Elegie in her SP, the orchestral version of which is part of the Manon Act I pas de deux, the program had nothing to do with Manon.

Along the same line of ballet music, I want to see someone do a McGregor on ice. Woolf works has some pretty skatable music and Chroma is great for an avant-garde program. Kazuki's SP from 2019 had some great ideas in it but I'd be excited to see more exploration of McGregor's unique choreographic language.
it was probably me, i keep renewing my skating wishes every year hoping to see them come true :LOL: both ballets anyway should be skated by teams because of their dynamics, Manon's death pas de deux could be a masterpiece with the right team (i'm thinking of Guignard/Fabri i. e.) i understand Mayerling could be controversial involving abuse of power and toxic relationships. Woolf Works needs a mature skater to work but i'd like to see it (the Orlando section especially)
A Winter's Tale would be great, especially the shepherd's dance scene! Music rights might be a bit tricky but maybe if they talk nicely to Joby Talbot and the Royal Opera House...

Elegie which is in Manon's score was used by Anna Scherbakova this season (although it doesn't look like it was inspired by the ballet). Lots of other nice pieces of music to use though. I think it would have to be a very daring ice dance team to pull off Mayerling 🤔 Maybe attach a skull to the man's shoulder a la Jean-Luc Baker's swan costume :LOL:

I'm still depressed about Liam Scarlett 😢

ETA: Cranko's Onegin ballet? It uses a score cobbled together from random bits of Tchaikovsky's music including Francesca da Rimini which has been skated to before (e.g. Sui/Han in 2015), but I don't think anyone has tried portraying the actual Onegin story yet.
from Winter's Tale and of course with the right skater also Leonte's solos could be great. for Mayerling more than a skull they should wear a gun:LOL:.i don't remember any Onegin, i'd like to see that too

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
@elektra blue Guignard/Fabbri for Manon final pas de deux is a great idea! BTW nice to know you're also a Royal Ballet fan :)

La Dame Aux Camellias by John Neumeier (similar sort of genre, neoclassical narrative ballet) could work for ice dance too. It's mostly set to a random bunch of Chopin pieces. Marguerite's fluffy purple dress from Act I would look nice on the ice...

Oh also since Daniil Gleikhengauz will be a very busy man soon I just want to remind him again of this idea - Lord of the Rings (Eowyn specifically) for Trusova :D