Elements that you want to make a 'comeback'? | Golden Skate

Elements that you want to make a 'comeback'?

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I love to see well-executed 3-2Lo-2Lo combos again. They bring a unique continuity and this 3F-2Lo-2Lo from Mao's iconic Sochi FS is my favourite. Kanako Murakami also used to do these types of combos.

I also would like to see long/combo lifts make a comeback. Post-2010, with it becoming an optional element and post-2014, after the number of required leveled lifts dropped from 4 to 3, they have become extinct (minus one team that incorporated it at the Olympics). A two part lift is much harder to execute, requiring greater speed and solid execution on both parts to be scored well. However, it can highlight the nuances of a longer section of music, as V/M demonstrates in their Pink Floyd FD.

What elements do you want to come out of retirement?

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Spiral, please, with or without change of edge. Karen Chen's is beautiful.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gotta agree with Kitt. One of the reasons that Nancy Kerrigan's, Nicole Bobek's, Michelle Kwan's and Sasha Cohen's programs looked so amazing was because of their spirals.

Globetrotter

Medalist
Unrealistic wish - basic spin positions nicely held; well centred spins rewarded; jumps being rewarded for basic aspects of height, distance, delayed rotation and flow running out > tanos, rippons. Long lifts in pairs and more teams being rewarded for executing a nice 3ATh - this deserves like 9 in BV! Still remembered the ecstasy and excitement which Rena Inoue and John baldwin created when Rena landed this extremely difficult throw jump.

Ok lots of people love spirals but I am not a proponent of making it compulsory. Very very few people can do it nicely - by nice, I mean a combination of good extensions and good edge control. Michelle Kwan for me is still the default standard I guess. Sasha had more beautiful positions but below the ankles, the edge work was non existent. Irina Slutskaya had the edges but ugly spirals. among the current ladies, the nicest spirals came from Satoko Miyahara and Karen Chen although I give the edge to Satoko literally for her stronger edges. I will still prefer to leave it as optional and having only the best to showcase it instead of everyone going for it and giving us the equivalent of helicopter tanos or the flash the tutu extension and its gone spirals.

Ziotic

Medalist
Same for me on the spiral. I would love them infinitely more than choreo sequences.

Also classic layback.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
I would like to see spirals make a comeback for a year or two. Make it unleveled (ChSprl1 or something) and just be about sustaining a high leg position on a powerful edge. I would also like to see more ina bauers, hydroblades, and just fast, simple layback spins with an attitude position and an arched back (Adam Rippon actually does one of the best laybacks, go figure).

But in general, I want the judges to care more about sustained moves done perfectly to the music as opposed to favoring lots of disconnected transitions.

lappo

Final Flight
More twizzles in single skating (such as Polina E. used to do) and more spirals (but not compulsory, just rewarded as an alternative to the choreo sequence, for those who can do them well).

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I'd like to see spirals return. Ones that last a decent amount of time, also.

Step Sequence4

JULLLIEEEEETTTT!
Final Flight
I think something that could work in the spiral debate is just giving a time limit positions in a choreographer sequence need to be held for.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Although I don't want to see spirals as a required element, where all the ladies did the same 3 positions to get Level 4 (eg. Vancouver 2010), I would also like to see beautiful spirals held long enough to really show them off.

GGFan

Record Breaker
More jump variety. Whether walley, ballet, stag, open axels, etc. they are beautiful and add an extra ingredient to programs.

Other arm positions in jumps. For example, hands on the waist.

ETA: gkelly is the master of these and can hopefully elaborate.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Spirals sequence please. though i'm afraid that most of ladies can't do them well. All those half spirals........

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Spiral sequences to be optional extras for points, I'm so dying for someone to do a Sasha like spiral sequence again and it shouldn't just be for ladies but for mens too, as Jason Brown is a prime example that men can do them greatly as well :)

Globetrotter

Medalist
Spiral sequences to be optional extras for points, I'm so dying for someone to do a Sasha like spiral sequence again and it shouldn't just be for ladies but for mens too, as Jason Brown is a prime example that men can do them greatly as well :)

They are already rewarded as TR in the SP ;)

I know most people love Sasha’s spirals for their beautiful positions but they are lovely only for aesthetics but don’t deserve good technical score IMO as the edge work was poor. Sasha’s overall edges and basic SS was really quite appalling. I will take Michelle Kwan’s CoE spirals as the measure of good position and edges and blade control.