Elena Ilinykh & Anton Shibnev | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Elena Ilinykh & Anton Shibnev

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Back to the thread subject, I thought Elena and Anton looked well matched and hard to believe they have been together for only 2 months. I was a fan of her with Ruslan, but this new partnership looks like it could work! Best of luck to them!

uhh

Medalist
Elena & Anton will be skating at the Russian Cup in Kazan (7-11 Nov) in their bid to qualify to Nationals.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Elena & Anton will be skating at the Russian Cup in Kazan (7-11 Nov) in their bid to qualify to Nationals.

Good luck and firm nerves, then! I'm curious to see what comes of this partnership.

uhh

Medalist
I'm a bit confused, because I though they'd have to do 2 Russian Cup events to get to Nationals, but the Tallinn Trophy is at the same time as the 5th Russian Cup - but maybe because the ice dance field is smaller, they are OK if they get a good placing at the first event, or maybe they have a direct invitation to Nats?

Mattieu

Medalist
I'm a bit confused, because I though they'd have to do 2 Russian Cup events to get to Nationals, but the Tallinn Trophy is at the same time as the 5th Russian Cup - but maybe because the ice dance field is smaller, they are OK if they get a good placing at the first event, or maybe they have a direct invitation to Nats?

Olympic champions probably can break a few rules!

So it's going to be hard to make it to Nationals this year for the lower level teams, with 7 dance teams on the GP getting automatic qualification B/S, S/B, S/K, Z/G, E/B, L/D, P/M. That leaves just 3 spots.
Morozov/Bagin & Elena/Anton should get 2 of them, so just 1 spot left for the rest to fight over.
Probably it will go to Vlad SOLOVYEVA / Yuri VLASENKO

Marta25

Medalist
Olympic champions probably can break a few rules!

So it's going to be hard to make it to Nationals this year for the lower level teams, with 7 dance teams on the GP getting automatic qualification B/S, S/B, S/K, Z/G, E/B, L/D, P/M. That leaves just 3 spots.
Morozov/Bagin & Elena/Anton should get 2 of them, so just 1 spot left for the rest to fight over.
Probably it will go to Vlad SOLOVYEVA / Yuri VLASENKO

There are also Ludmila Sosnitskaia / Pavel Golovishnikov. I wonder if by next year we will see 15 entries instead of 10 as it is the case at junior nationals. Next year S/A and S/S are going to move up, so there will be even more competition for the spots.

sunn1ly

On the Ice
I just saw their short dance from Kazan. Elena has such huge presence. She just go for every move. Its not like Ru has unlimited amount of ice dance ladies its such a pitty she is not out there at the international big events. That's what she is made for.

uhh

Medalist
They changed a lot of the choreo from test skates. I like the rumba part, some of the transitional lifts are great, but there's a lot to do on keeping the pace going in the faster part at the end.

Spiral

Final Flight
I just saw their short dance from Kazan. Elena has such huge presence. She just go for every move. Its not like Ru has unlimited amount of ice dance ladies its such a pitty she is not out there at the international big events. That's what she is made for.
Russia (and IMO the world) doesn't have another ice dancer like Elena, but unfortunately it has no shortage of better-connected ones, and that's what counts with the Rus Fed. The fact that IS are ahead of Morozov/Bagin only by 3 points is a disgrace.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Russia (and IMO the world) doesn't have another ice dancer like Elena, but unfortunately it has no shortage of better-connected ones, and that's what counts with the Rus Fed. The fact that IS are ahead of Morozov/Bagin only by 3 points is a disgrace.

Yeah, I watched both and I think I almost got whiplash looking at the scores. Bless their hearts I don't know how they stay motivated.

uhh

Medalist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3dn--oRz7s

They won overall, but lost the FD by 0.2 to Morozov/Bagin. Anton made a big mistake on the twizzles and at the end of the 2nd step sequence. The choreo was again, really different from the test skates - overall I liked it but it's a shame they moved the twizzles because the exit from the first set was a real highlight for me. The biggest challenge from them is skating together in the step sequences, but the lifts are really great.

I don't know what this means for qualification to nationals :confused2:

bramweld

Record Breaker
The completely reworked it from test skates and I love this version. It is more difficult and probably less than two months old but I love it. I can watch it over and over. Personally, I don't care if they get to Nationals, I just want to watch them develop. Haters gonna hate yes, but I just love what I see in these two. Very brave first outing and with a gold!!

tulosai

Record Breaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3dn--oRz7s

They won overall, but lost the FD by 0.2 to Morozov/Bagin. Anton made a big mistake on the twizzles and at the end of the 2nd step sequence. The choreo was again, really different from the test skates - overall I liked it but it's a shame they moved the twizzles because the exit from the first set was a real highlight for me. The biggest challenge from them is skating together in the step sequences, but the lifts are really great.

I don't know what this means for qualification to nationals :confused2:

I assume one way or another the Fed will 'allow' them to go to Nationals but I'm not really 100% sure it matters to be honest, it's clear they aren't going anywhere outside Russia this year after Nationals. I think if they are able to stay motivated the real goal obviously has to be 2022.