Eponymous Figure Skating Elements | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Eponymous Figure Skating Elements

Joe Mendoza

Virtuously Shady Diva
Final Flight
I wonder if someone could do / has done / daring enough to do a double-twisting backflip with back outside edge takeoff and back outside edge landing on other foot.

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder if someone could do / has done / daring enough to do a double-twisting backflip with back outside edge takeoff and back outside edge landing on other foot.
No but if anyone did it would be Michael Weiss who has several moves named after him including a twisting back flip called the tornado(?). Then there is Mike's pike and a gliding eagle like move made possible thru the use of custom blades.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Julia's Spin is an adaptation of a spin by Sasha Cohen.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Cherry flips are toe loops.

I don't know why.
Could it be the mark on ice after the take-off?
On the floor, if I do a 3-turn on one leg (small circle) and slide back the other leg (big half-circle), I definitely draw a cherry with a stem. Not sure about the ice though. Maybe a jump with such name existed in dance in a certain period of time?

Last edited:

sjchilly

On the Ice
Country
United-States
The Youtube video didn't cover ISU rules named after a person, the most famous being the rule named after Elaine Zayak. The Zayak Rule enacted in 1982 after Elaine landed four triple toe jumps to win the World Championship. I have always wondered why the ISU rule giving bonus point to jumps in the second half of the program was not called the "Plushenko Rule" following his 2006 Olympic win.

cmk

Rinkside
Its because skaters tended to be smiling and more relaxed going into the 3 toe, and would have a look of fear going into the 3 flip.

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
But Ilia Klimkin did it earlier. He was so good at original moves as well!
The above quote refers to the cantilever. Ah, all you young sprouts here on the forum. I was fortunate to see Mr. Frick do his signature move at the Ice Capades in the summer of 1960 in Oakland or San Francisco (unfortunately I'm so old I can't remember which side of the bay they had their rink on). See this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFemWV8M7y4 at about the 1:50 mark (the whole clip is well worth watching:clap:). Sadly Mr. Frack had retired in 1953 due to osteomyelitis so I did not get to see Frick and Frack together.

Edited to add some history: After sleeping on it last night I realized it was not the Ice Capades where I saw Mr. Frick. It was at Shipstads and Johnsons Ice Follies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Follies. The show was probably presented at the Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winterland_Ballroom.

Eddie Shipstad who works with Christy Krall coaching at the Broadmoor World Arena in Colorado Springs is the grandson of the founder of the Ice Follies.

Richard Dwyer, who was inducted into the U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame in 1993, was the featured performer as "Mr. Debonair" in the Ice Follies: https://www.liveabout.com/richard-dwyer-mr-debonair-skating-legend-1282981.

Last edited:

Joe Mendoza

Virtuously Shady Diva
Final Flight
The first backflip I can recall was legal and it was by Terry Kubicka at USA Nationals. Of course the next season it was banned for being too dangerous.
I thought the reason it was banned was because the skater needs to land on one foot, and kubicka did it on 2.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chack-toe, Chack-axel - arms held at hips during rotation
Chacked - also a term used when a skater does not make the broadcast cut -
Michael Chack was notoriously cut in the 1990s despite skating well for years.

Last edited:

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Chack-toe, Chack-axel - arms held at hips during rotation
Chacked - also a term used when a skater does not make the broadcast cut -
Michael Chack was notoriously cut in the 1990s despite skating well for years.

That and the year he was not shown he won the bronze medal. ABC didn't expect him to pull up from the SP!