Eteri Tutberidze interview on Russian TV | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Eteri Tutberidze interview on Russian TV

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
So, the most complete translation of the first part of the interview. Sorry for inadvertently repeating what has already been posted elsewhere. In any case, this text is more complete.
As the others said I'm definitely not annoyed because of the "repeating". This is clearly much more faitful to the spoken word than other transaltions like the one at fs-gossips. Even if there are some disputes over the question whether Plushenko exists or not :biggrin: , I got the idea what was supposed to be expressed.

As for the interview itself, I really do not find there anything triggering. Eteri opponents sometimes remind the opponents of Gracchus brothers in the late roman republic, who opposed literally everything Tiberius or Gaius Gracchus proposed just because it came from them.

florin

Final Flight
Country
Russia
There is a czech satirical philosofical theory of Externism. While Solipsism says "there is only me and all the surroundings is just an imagination, Externism says "There is only surroundings and I do not exist." :biggrin:
Is it something like when I come to the cinema and if the movie is exciting, then for 2 hours I lose myself in the narrative and in some sense forget about the existence of my personality?

You know, in a sense, we are all little bit exernists in the current world - life constantly hurries you somewhere, surrounds you with fireworks of events, so you forget about yourself. I only really remembered myself when we all went into quarantine a year and a half ago - I was thinking about myself, about my life, about the epidemic.

Gosh, a thin line separates a Russian person from philosophizing - a couple of glasses of vodka, and he is already Tolstoy and Dostoevsky in one person. I'm sober, so I'll stop :laugh:

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
As for the interview itself, I really do not find there anything triggering. Eteri opponents sometimes remind the opponents of Gracchus brothers in the late roman republic, who opposed literally everything Tiberius or Gaius Gracchus proposed just because it came from them.
disagreements with Zhenya Medvedeva would have been better eliminated. Moreover, there was enough time for this. It can be seen that this question is painful for Eteri. Precisely because of this conflict, haters sometimes try to present the learning process in Sambo-70 as something similar to the movie "Full Metal Jacket"

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Is it something like when I come to the cinema and if the movie is exciting, then for 2 hours I lose myself in the narrative and in some sense forget about the existence of my personality?

You know, in a sense, we are all little bit exernists in the current world - life constantly hurries you somewhere, surrounds you with fireworks of events, so you forget about yourself. I only really remembered myself when we all went into quarantine a year and a half ago - I was thinking about myself, about my life, about the epidemic.

Gosh, a thin line separates a Russian person from philosophizing - a couple of glasses of vodka, and he is already Tolstoy and Dostoevsky in one person. I'm sober, so I'll stop :laugh:
:biggrin:

There is (or there was, only a few memebers are still living) a group of comedians, called now "Cimrmani" (somethin like Cimrman's Ring). Already in late 60s they created a fictive character of a czech genial inventor, writer, traveller, philosopher etc. named Jára Cimrman. They are authors of theatre plays credited to this fictive character and every play is always introduced by a seminary where the work of this "genius" is presented and discussed. Of course it's all satire. The theory of externism comes form one of those seminars. The humour is very specific and "czech-like", though I see there was some english recreation of that. For illustration a very short scene of Cimrman's recreation of Hamlet without Hamlet:

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As the others said I'm definitely not annoyed because of the "repeating". This is clearly much more faitful to the spoken word than other transaltions like the one at fs-gossips. Even if there are some disputes over the question whether Plushenko exists or not :biggrin: , I got the idea what was supposed to be expressed.

So, let’s get the answer to the most pressing thing to come out of this interview: does Plushenko exist or not?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Tiberius and Gaius Gracchus were mid Roman Republic: 120s BC.

The other Senators opposed them because they bypassed the Senate and took their proposals directly to the Popular Assembly. We have no evidence that the opposing Senators' major issue was the personalities of the Gracchi; they didn't like their methodologies. The Land Reform proposals from the Gracchi did go into effect, and if everything the Gracchi did was automatically opposed, the Senate would not have permitted it.

Sorry for the off topic:ot:

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What does the whole "Alina is a plum" thing mean? I find that fascinating 🤣

It sounds positive to me and she reiterates it Does she mean Alina is pretty???
Now that you mention it, a fruit to English translator would be useful.

Like what are the good fruits and bad fruits? If she was called a watermelon, for instance, is that good or bad? Haha

florin

Final Flight
Country
Russia

The other Senators opposed them because they bypassed the Senate and took their proposals directly to the Popular Assembly. We have no evidence that the opposing Senators' major issue was the personalities of the Gracchi; they didn't like their methodologies. The Land Reform proposals from the Gracchi did go into effect, and if everything the Gracchi did was automatically opposed, the Senate would not have permitted it.

Firstly, it is the late republic.

I don't know what periodization is taught in American schools, but in all decent schools ( :laugh: ) it is a late republic. The period of the republic began with 510 BC (The Exile of Tarquin the Proud) to 33 BC (Battle of Actium, death of Antony, Octavian Augustus becomes Sole Ruler/Emperor). The reforms of the Gracchi brothers are undoubtedly a late republic.

Secondly, to put it simply and a little populist, the Gracchi were the leftists of ancient Rome. The opponents of the Gracchi killed them both (the younger brother was beaten to death with fragments of a bench, which, I remember, shocked me very much at school) But you describe it as if we are talking about the routine life of senators in the American Capitol :laugh:

The opponents of the Gracchi created a real hysteria around the Gracchi, falsely accused them of wanting to become kings. According to Plutarch, before the death of the younger Gracchus, he could not shout to his supporters and began to put his hand to his head, which indicated danger, Gracchus' opponents explained that this meant that he demanded a royal diadem for himself. It was about this attitude to the brothers that flanker was talking about before you got in with your incredibly valuable clarifications.

P.S. Sorry for the off topic :ot:

Last edited:

florin

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Now that you mention it, a fruit to English translator would be useful.

Like what are the good fruits and bad fruits? If she was called a watermelon, for instance, is that good or bad? Haha
Watermelon is too "brutal" fruit - it's big, it's cheap, etc. Plus, in Russian this word has a masculine gender. Melon, this is more appropriate - it is feminine in Russian, it's more delicious fruit (oriental merchants who praise their fruits may well say "Buy my melons - they are smooth as girl, sweet as honey!" but it won't work with watermelon)

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

:ot:
Ahem. Although setting paticular eras is usually based on consensus and is never completely unified (like there are more opinions about the break between medieval times and modern history), mid-republican era is usually set in times between the first and third punic war/wars with Macedonia, which is logical, because the changes that led to the crisis of the republic and its ultimate end (territorial changes, changes in the composition of the roman society, land ownership, unequal share of the spoils etc.) already appeared.

As for the Tiberius and Gaius Gracchus, their "crime" was the reforms they proposed and the purpose was to stop it by stripping them of their support among populusque romanus. That was the purpose why optimates made some proposals seemingly in favour of the populars while used many dirty tricks to undermine brothers credibility and eventually murdered them. Brothers methods wrere merely a pretence because the wealthy senators feared of the reforms that threatened to change the system that brought them the wealth within the last century. Of course the easiest way how to denounce a political opponent is to blame him for trying to seize all the power. But all brothers acts pased legally through comitia tributa. It is a very enligtening story, till recently I had hardly any idea how contributive it can be ieven in the world of figure skating :biggrin:

End of the :ot:

Edit: I see @florin already made the necessary clarifications better than me.

Last edited:

florin

Final Flight
Country
Russia
It is a very enligtening story, till recently I had hardly any idea how contributive it can be ieven in the world of figure skating :biggrin:
I'm drawn to philosophical generalizations again (someone hold me back :laugh: ) But your comparison of Eteri with the Gracchi is not so accidental. Eteri is really something like the Gracchi in the elite and closed world of the Russian figure skating beau monde. Her opponents profess, so to speak, the ideas of "optimates" - for example, when they say about "long careers", I translate it for myself as "we want a narrow circle of figure skaters to have access to the top pedestals". Eteri rejected the views of the "optimates" when she gave equal opportunities to Alina and Zhenya in preparation for the Olympics. Eteri's words - "you've stepped off the pedestal and you're nobody again" - well, this is just an outrageous encroachment on senatorial privileges! :laugh: Well, the methods of the opponents are the same - "Eteri is queen", "Eteri is the gray cardinal of Russian figure skating", "Eteri rules by every judge and forces them to give high marks" etc

Last edited:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist

As a Latin scholar in a former life, I appreciated the history lesson!!! hehe

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I'm drawn to philosophical generalizations again (someone hold me back :laugh: ) But your comparison of Eteri with the Gracchi is not so accidental. Eteri is really something like the Gracchi in the elite and closed world of the Russian figure skating beau monde. Her opponents profess, so to speak, the ideas of "optimates" - for example, when they say "about long careers", I translate it for myself as "we want a narrow circle of figure skaters to have access to the highest pedestals". Eteri rejected the views of the "optimates" when she gave equal opportunities to Alina and Zhenya in preparation for the Olympics. Eteri's words - "you've stepped off the pedestal and you're nobody again" - well, this is just an outrageous encroachment on senatorial privileges! :laugh: Well, the methods of the opponents are the same - "Eteri is queen", "Eteri is the gray cardinal of Russian figure skating", "Eteri rules by every judge and forces them to give high marks" etc
I fully agree and that's one of the reasons why I support her. Like when I hear the complaints of the kind "there are so many girls in Russia, who needs to remember them all", it's exaxctly like the priviliged view of the world "we want a closed group of the chosen ones who will share the glory and the titles and all the rest will only be a makeweight." And yes, the first step in a fight against an opponent is always to undermine his credibility and casting doubts upon his intentions.

Last edited:

florin

Final Flight
Country
Russia
I fully agree and that's one reasons why I support her. Like when I hear the complaints of the kind "there are so many girls in Russia, who needs top remember therm all", it's exaxctly like the priviliged view of the world "we want a closed group of the chosen ones who will share the glory and the titles and all the rest will only be a makeweight." And yes, the first step in a fight against an opponent is always to undermine his credibility and casting doubts upon his intentions.
I give 100 likes to this post! (The forum, unfortunately, does not have such an option, so I do it in text mode :laugh: )

brakes

On the Ice
509-264(280*) Early Republic
264(280*)-133 Middle Republic
133-27 Late Republic

Gracchi brothers introduced their reforms in late republic.

* some historians choose start of Pyrrhic Wars as the beginning of middle republican period

Last edited:

lesnar001

Record Breaker
I'm just sitting here like :popcorn: because never in all my days did I expect to see the brothers Gracchi brought up on any forum online that wasn't dedicated to ancient history. Thank you for this most unexpected and entertaining off topic.
Flanker is a true Renaissance Man. In any figure skating discussion he is just as likely to find an analogy to ancient Rome, the history of the Czech Republic, or the subtle differences between the Judean People's Front and the People's Front of Judea.