Evgenia Medvedeva returns to Eteri Tutberidze | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva returns to Eteri Tutberidze

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I expected a coaching change.
Yeah. IIRC there was a rumour from Plushy that "someone else" would be moving to him after Kostornaia? I was totally expecting Med because she couldn't go back to Canada, this we knew for sure. Wonder if they were in talks at that point? Maybe Med wasn't, but RusFed was.

macy

Record Breaker
The search of old messages works better with the new engine so that I bothered to browse through my posts here 2 years ago. I feel even stronger now about what I wrote back then:

"As for Medvedeva, so far everything is quite depressing for me. Hope about some miracle. That is what's left. She was a superstar - one and only. So far she is a shade of her former self. Once again, let's hope that she will make it up. Hope dies last.

Why I bother to write all this? Maybe because I used to be "Medvedeva's uber", because I enjoyed her skating, I wanted her to win OGM and I feel for her. May be because for me it's the embodiment of hypocrisy to speak now about improvements in her skating. Some people and not only fans already boasted those. Improvements? Give me a break. Her pcs show what judges think about improvements in her skating - downfall in all categories, all of them. Let's not pretend that something is there when it's not.

Some years ago on GS there was a huge wave of criticism towards Medvedeva from non-Russians mostly North Americans. There was a weekly fresh thread about her "issues". Now, suddenly non-Russians (I cannot say the same ones or not) have become very supportive when her skating has deteriorated. They find non-existing improvements, they say that she has better programs, they talk "long-term". I say, this is nonsense. No matter what the reasons are she and her programs so far are just a shadow of her former self. And judges see it giving her low scores that she never received before.

I am sure that the team's "she is on the right track" will put the blinders. No, no, no, no. She is not on the right track. Just look at her face and the face of Borser in K&C. Those are not faces of people who are on the right track. She has to ask for Eteri's forgiveness as soon as possible…."
i have always liked Medvedeva, but i'm not sure her skating since 2018 would have been any better if she had stayed with Eteri. i think her injury contributed a lot to how she has skated since the olympics...it seemed like everything became a lot harder for her. the upper body focused technique she had with Eteri absolutely did her no favors with her injury and probably contributed some amount to it. that is one thing that noticeably improved with Brian, she started jumping with her legs. You can especially see the difference in her double axel.

overall do i think she improved tremendously under Brian? no, but i don't think he is at fault for any deterioration in her skating. as someone else said above, she was injured in the olympic season and came back to have been replaced by her teammate who she could not beat. she is now in her 20s, she moved across the world, she changed her jump technique, had to get used to an entirely different training environment which was a total 180 to sambo, has been battling the same injury for at least 2 years now, and the last few months she has been stuck in Russia, without a coach, without a main training base, probably without a consistent schedule, and still injured. it is what it is and i don't think anyone in particular is responsible for it. it was just the hand of cards she was dealt, and i don't think things would be a whole lot different for her if she had stayed.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I was surprised yesterday . But I don' care about this deicision today. I just want Evgenia to see in good shape and happily.. 🤞That's all.
The
Bobrova's opinion: https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1089123882.html

There is more things in her words as we can we read....
Zhenya said that Bobrova was one of her best and most trusted friends, along with Jason and a few others. Bobrova clearly wants what is best for her and trusts Zhenya to speak up and fight for what is best for her. Looked at the right way, this could be good for both Zhenya and Eteri if they are both open and trusting of each other. Zhenya is not the girl who left Eteri in 2028. She is grown up, independant and clearly very smart. I am sorry that she was forced by circumstances to leave TCC. I trust that she will make the best of this situation.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I think it's good the site was down when this news broke otherwise it may have exploded😂

We've been discussing this over at FSU for the past few days so I don't have a ton left to say on the matter. My main thoughts are that this move was necessary due to the pandemic. Clearly the long distance coaching wasn't working and, rather than waste time trying to make it work, Evgenia was forced to make a move. She had options and decided to go with the one she knew.

As I mentioned on the other thread I feel as though both Eteri and Evgenia carry a special place for each other in their hearts. Evgenia was Eteri's most successful student and, to me anyway, their connection seemed closer and more genuine than her connection with any of her other students. I'm happy they were able to move beyond the past.

What happens now? No clue. This is a first for Eteri. She usually has students who are entering their prime; not ones who are pretty much past it. This is a real test for her and, if she manages to succeed, I think people won't be able to say she's only capable of coaching 13-16 year olds. Yes, I remember Lil Bet but that was a special circumstance given she is very petite for her age--she's 20 years old (19 at the time) and still listed at 4'11". Evgenia is almost 21 years old and she's dealing with chronic injuries so this is going to be a challenge for Eteri. Training methods that work with 14 and 15 year olds will likely not work or even be possible for Evgenia.

I don't know how competitive they can get her. A quad may be possible but the injuries will likely limit her ability to learn and cement it as a competition ready element...a triple axel is out of the question as she struggles with her double... Really the only thing they can do is work on getting her basic jumps back on track. She'll still be competitive internationally but not for the top spots. With Sasha, Alena, Anna and next year Kamila in the hunt for one of those 3 spots, I don't like her chances of making it to the next Olympics. Then again, I never thought she'd end up with Eteri again so never say never.

I wish both of them the best luck.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
i have always liked Medvedeva, but i'm not sure her skating since 2018 would have been any better if she had stayed with Eteri. i think her injury contributed a lot to how she has skated since the olympics...
I replied to this line of reasoning back in 2018 as well. We don't know how it would have been had she stayed with Eteri. There is one undeniable fact, though. She skated in Korea fresh from a very bad injury. And she skated the lights. And scoring 238 she was one inch close to become OGM winner. She never skated like that afterwards.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
So her options were limited to Sambo coaches?
An athlete can switch coaches at any point, if a new coach wants that. They can literally go to any coach at any club. They don’t owe anything to the club either. They would still receive their skates, dresses, etc, get funding for tickets, that wouldn’t be thrown away for high caliber athletes. On paper they would remain assigned to a club, but that’s only on paper.

BUT the new coach won’t receive additional salary for their new athlete. That’s why they say, that new coaches „work for free“.
if new club wants an athlete, they will have to live without an added premium per 1 student for those months until new transfer window opens. Most coaches don’t care for that salary and freely accept students at any point.
The club thing is the only thing you can change during transfer windows, and it’s pure formality.

Not to forget, she was actually offered to train in SPb, they were ready to create all those conditions for her. I would assume they proposed training with Chebotaryova, since she doesn’t have any top students anymore, but will still get salary for Kolyada. Evgenia considered it, and refused.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I don’t have much to add other than I was totally shook when the news broke Wednesday.
And good luck to both Evgenia and Team Tutberidze coaches in their future endeavors together!! :)

May I just say that your avatar pic of Alina is the sassiest pic I've ever seen of her😙 I feel like the caption on it should be "YAAAZ!" or "WERK!" lol

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
I don’t know all of the history between Eteri and Medvedeva, but I watched the Olympics and the coaching split. I’m shocked about the reunion, however I am skeptical about how successful it will be. Isn’t Medvedeva injured? I don’t know that she could catch up to the younger girls even if she wasn’t injured. This isn’t a knock against her. I have read comments saying she could challenge Alena, but at the present time, I don’t see it happening.
I actually think Medvedeva will have an amazing career once she decides she is done with competitive skating. Does anyone know what happened with the ice show deal and why Medvedeva isn’t doing it with Zagitova? This would’ve been a great opportunity for her.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Did Medvedeva find a new species of flower and named it after Eteri? ;)
Jokes aside, Eteri has been more magnanimous than I thought or than I would have been in her place; maybe to send a message to Alena and Sasha that prodigal daughters are well accepted?

Ummm, magnanimous is not the word I would use. Look at the photos. Smug is a much more apt one.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I actually think Medvedeva will have an amazing career once she decides she is done with competitive skating. Does anyone know what happened with the ice show deal and why Medvedeva isn’t doing it with Zagitova? This would’ve been a great opportunity for her.
That will happen soon imo. In one or two seasons. Since she isn't interested by the long-term thing anymore apparently.

Amei

Record Breaker
That will happen soon imo. In one or two seasons. Since she isn't interested by the long-term thing anymore apparently.

How do you know that she isn't interested in the long-term, I could certainly see where coming back to Russia for training is better long-term for her than being in Canada. Based on what was said when she moved to Orser by the Fed, she was getting the same amount of funding as everyone else, any overages were going to be on her to pay; based on the Fed's willingness to put well-performing juniors that are age-eligible for senior international events on the main team their first year, and Medvedeva's overwhelming poor performances the last 2 years she is a prime candidate for being bumped off the main national team which means less funding from the Fed and potentially her having to use her own money to finance her career, that's going to be significantly cheaper to do in Russia than in Canada. Look at last season after the WD from Nationals she stayed in Russia to do show-skating, meanwhile her coach went back to Canada, how time did that take away from her training that she and her coach were in different countries

Scott512

Record Breaker
Did Medvedeva find a new species of flower and named it after Eteri? ;)
Jokes aside, Eteri has been more magnanimous than I thought or than I would have been in her place; maybe to send a message to Alena and Sasha that prodigal daughters are well accepted?
Yes great point. A pertinent point at that.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
How do you know that she isn't interested in the long-term,
She clearly said that she can't have a long career with Eteri. It's already surprising that she gets back to her at 20yo. So i guess she gives herself one or two seasons.