Evgenia Medvedeva returns to Eteri Tutberidze | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva returns to Eteri Tutberidze

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm late to all of this, so maybe it's been mentioned already. But Medvedeva couldn't get back to the Cricket Club so that's partly the reason for her switch, right? Plus, it definitely made a difference when Kostornaia and Trusova departed from Eteri's camp. That surely helped further pave the way for Medvedeva and Eteri to reunite.

There's always so much Russian drama. I'm not really into it that much. But for sure, it does keep some figure skating fans engrossed and entertained.

I guess I am in the a tiny minority here. I have no problem with Danil Gleikhengauz' chorepgrphy for Eteri T's camp. Some programs are more successful than others, but that's mainly because the skaters perform them better or worse on a particular day.

I have no doubt that he could come up with ideas that would spotlight Medvedeva's strengths and give her a fighting chance going forward.

Last edited:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
YEs. In that debate I was with you in 2015-2018 we defended Zhenya together , if you remember. The posters were so annoyed with her mimic, opened mouth, bad jumps, music choice, etc.,. Everything has changed when she moved to Brian. I didn't understand the motivation I said it then. Don't get me wrong I can see the changes in her skating and her personality now but I didn't give chance to her against the quadster girls. There was no room to improve in points because her PCS was in the sky with Eteri, too she couldn't beat them with PCS without quads or without 3As. So now I don't give her chance too much if the teenagers don't make mistakes. I don't talk about only the Russians. When I saw her in test skates I was amazed by her will, her performing skills. But I saw her so fragile, she was so broken.She seemed to me she lost muscles what would be understandable because she had no real training camp where the athlets can gain general stamina, endurance. The yoga and the pilates are great but isn't enough
So I believe she is a smart girl thus knows it. She just wants to gain good condition and make a good season with good skatings, the results aren't the most important. But of course she will do everything to take part of the Russian OG team again.
In Russia she is very popular she can use her popularity in the other side of the life. If she is a competitior the sponsors won't leave her what is also very important. Probably we are going to be over the Pandemic and the shows are going to be start ....
No one knows how quadster girls will fare this and next season. Both Anna and Sasha looked fine during est skates. Anna was very strong in Syzran. But puberty is not over for them. Will their quads be consistent? Zhenya is a strong willed person and she is very ambitious. And she has good examples. I am not talking about " long lasting divas" from the past - their tech content cannot be compared with what we have today. But Liza's example can motivate her to go on. She is just 21. If she brings back her former consistency she can get back to 220 - 230 scores range. And then quadsters will have to land their quads. I am optimistic so far.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I guess I am in the a tiny minority here. I have no problem with Dallil Gleikhengauz' chorepgrphy for Eteri T's camp. Some programs are more successful than others, but that's mainly because the skaters perform them better or worse on a particular day.

I have no doubt that he could come up with ideas that would spotlight Medvedeva's strengths and give her a fighting chance going forward.
Please, add me to this minority. I find most of Gleich's programs quite inventive. And some of them are masterpieces. To avoid offtopic discussion I won't name here "iconic" programs from some used to be prominent skaters. One of those was particularly named recently as a benchmark. I rewatched it - it's empty! Empty - the opposite of full as Garry Oldman said once. I prefer modern "busy" programs from TT. Long spirals and Ina Bauers are fine during gala performances. I am sure all Eteri's top skaters have no problem to do them.

The most terrible Zhenya's program was neither Averbukh's nor Gleikh's - it was her very first short program after the move.

rain

Record Breaker
I'm late to all of this, so maybe it's been mentioned already. But Medvedeva couldn't get back to the Cricket Club so that's partly the reason for her switch, right? Plus, it definitely made a difference when Kostornaia and Trusova departed from Eteri's camp. That surely helped further pave the way for Medvedeva and Eteri to reunite.

There's always so much Russian drama. I'm not really into it that much. But for sure, it does keep some figure skating fans engrossed and entertained.
I think there's likely something to the speculation that the Russian Fed did not want to keep paying for Evgenia to train in Canada. That wouldn't have been cheap, and I can see them wanting to bring those dollars back in-house, so to speak.

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
Any news on how things are progressing with Zhenya? I know it hasn’t been very long, but it feels like weeks. Any news on how trainings are going? Any updates on her injury?

To avoid offtopic discussion I won't name here "iconic" programs from some used to be prominent skaters. One of those was particularly named recently as a benchmark. I rewatched it - it's empty! Empty - the opposite of full as Garry Oldman said once. I prefer modern "busy" programs from TT. Long spirals and Ina Bauers are fine during gala performances. I am sure all Eteri's top skaters have no problem to do them.

I do like long spirals and Ina Bauers. :) But as time goes by I find myself more appreciative of programs with a variety of complex steps and turns. Under the banner of "it's a sport!," skaters who demonstrate a lot of incidental skating skills deserve consideration over those who just jump, glide, jump.

The criticism is that sometimes the busy transitions do not add anything of artistic or interpretive merit. Even so, "higher, faster, stronger, more astonishing skating skills" rules the day.

Amei

Record Breaker
I think there's likely something to the speculation that the Russian Fed did not want to keep paying for Evgenia to train in Canada. That wouldn't have been cheap, and I can see them wanting to bring those dollars back in-house, so to speak.

When she first moved to Orser I remember someone posting on here a statement from the Fed that she would get the same funds as every other member of the national team, no more. If that's true then where she trained was irrelevant.

Znowflake

On the Ice
No one knows how quadster girls will fare this and next season. Both Anna and Sasha looked fine during est skates. Anna was very strong in Syzran. But puberty is not over for them. Will their quads be consistent? Zhenya is a strong willed person and she is very ambitious. And she has good examples. I am not talking about " long lasting divas" from the past - their tech content cannot be compared with what we have today. But Liza's example can motivate her to go on. She is just 21. If she brings back her former consistency she can get back to 220 - 230 scores range. And then quadsters will have to land their quads. I am optimistic so far.
I was thinking along these lines today. She has won a medal in every Worlds competition she entered since 13/14 (then a Junior). She has much more experience than the younger Russians and if the others lose their jumps/become inconsistent as well as the Senior age changed to 17+ she actually might do pretty well. She was great @ Rostelcom and just seemed to have a series of unfortunate events since (covid/skate issue). I also think Eteri has now had so much success with younger students, this might be her new project to focus on to show she can coach older athletes too. I guess time will tell!

randomfan

Record Breaker
The most terrible Zhenya's program was neither Averbukh's nor Gleikh's - it was her very first short program after the move.
Hmmm...I've always thought that the short program had the potential to be great. The timing was definitely bad though, and had she done it another season it probably would've been better. I'd actually say that her free program that season was the terrible one.

rain

Record Breaker
When she first moved to Orser I remember someone posting on here a statement from the Fed that she would get the same funds as every other member of the national team, no more. If that's true then where she trained was irrelevant.
Not really. It's still money from the Russian Fed that's essentially not going into the Russian system. The Russian Fed has worked hard over the last number of years to try to build their entire system back up — hence the big push to bring Russian coaches back to coach in Russia a number of years ago, and how their focus was to be on Russian skaters. I make no particular judgement in saying that. It's their money and they can spend it in the way they think will be most advantageous to their program, their athletes and their country.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Yes. Zhenya is amazing I hope she will be in better shape soon.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Evgenia has had some good and bad programs with both Eteri and Brian.My favorite programs of hers tend to be the ones she really wanted herself- like Anna Karenina and Memoirs of a Geisha. Those are the ones I really felt her connection and commitment to.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Please, add me to this minority. I find most of Gleich's programs quite inventive. And some of them are masterpieces. To avoid offtopic discussion I won't name here "iconic" programs from some used to be prominent skaters. One of those was particularly named recently as a benchmark. I rewatched it - it's empty! Empty - the opposite of full as Garry Oldman said once. I prefer modern "busy" programs from TT. Long spirals and Ina Bauers are fine during gala performances. I am sure all Eteri's top skaters have no problem to do them.
Well you should name it, comparison is important. This post though, it makes me sad, because it reminds of a young TikTok obsessed generation who might find something like Lawrence of Arabia to be "too slow" in comparison. I wouldn't call any of the Eteri/Gleich programs masterpieces. Although there are hardly any such programs being created anymore. Maybe a lot of programs from the past could've had more content, but at least they had the goal of looking good. Programs now are actively ugly; doesn't matter how something actually looks, how it flows, what it means - only if it meets a technical requirement. I feel like so many observers now can't even recognize it and aren't aware of how these programs could be better.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Well you should name it, comparison is important. This post though, it makes me sad, because it reminds of a young TikTok obsessed generation who might find something like Lawrence of Arabia to be "too slow" in comparison. I wouldn't call any of the Eteri/Gleich programs masterpieces. Although there are hardly any such programs being created anymore. Maybe a lot of programs from the past could've had more content, but at least they had the goal of looking good. Programs now are actively ugly; doesn't matter how something actually looks, how it flows, what it means - only if it meets a technical requirement. I feel like so many observers now can't even recognize it and aren't aware of how these programs could be better.
Well, Lawrence of Arabia is fine. But Citizen Kane up until now praized by so many critics is plain boring. And I am not a "TikTok obsessed generation". I skated when some of the PARENTS of current skaters were not even born. Here is me doing a flip entrance around 1975.
Scan5.jpg

As for "iconic" programs I meant in particular Caro's Bolero. Yes, her lines are exquisite, she skates with grace. But her program to me is empty.

Different strokes for different folks. For me ladies had been always the most boring event. I did not follow figure skating between Torino and Sochi. Watching Yulia's SL was like a "revelation". Not only was I spellbound by the emotions she brought to the ice. I was amazed how much more content there was in her program vs. usual stuff that I expected from ladies.

Last edited:

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Well, Lawrence of Arabia is fine. But Citizen Kane up until now praized by so many critics is plain boring. And I am not a "TikTok obsessed generation". I skated when some of the PARENTS of current skaters were not even born. Here is me doing a flip entrance around 1975.
View attachment 1309

As for "iconic" programs I meant in particular Caro's Bolero. Yes, her lines are exquisite, she skates with grace. But her program to me is empty.
You're much older than me but that's adorable. :p

I agree about Kostner's empty and trivial Bolero.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@[email protected] I agree with you on Medvedeva's programs with Orser, though I think the LP that season was much worse. When I tried to say that here, my comment was brushed off as "national bias" and when I tried to counter that my opinion "didn't matter". But whatever.
The decision difference between the Short and the long program is that Evgenia wanted to skate to a tango. And her worlds performance of her tango was great. And let's give a shout out to Misha Ge. He flew to Canada and in 3 days gave us Tosca. Tosca is one of my favorite short programs of Evgenia's. (y):)

Skatesocs

Final Flight
The decision difference between the Short and the long program is that Evgenia wanted to skate to a tango. And her worlds performance of her tango was great. And let's give a shout out to Misha Ge. He flew to Canada and in 3 days gave us Tosca. Tosca is one of my favorite short programs of Evgenia's. (y):)
I like her programs this season the best of her Orser era actually (the ones at the recent tests)! It probably took them time to understand her skating. It happens. It was just annoying to not be able to say that before.