Favorite IJS step sequences | Golden Skate

Favorite IJS step sequences

Here is my favorite of recent performances. This is Keegan Messing's short program at the 2022 Olympics. The step sequence itself was only a level 2, but to me it was memorable for how the step sequence fit into the choeography as a whole -- I coukdn't tell when he was doing his step sequence, when he was setting up for a jump or spin, or when he was just skating around.

When the IJS first came out, with its bullet points, skaters were very careful to stop their performance, make sure the judges ubderstood that, OK, I'm going to do my step sequence now, and then proceed to bullet-point their way down the ice. One of the early bullet points was "use of the full body." Most skaters, expecially women, interpreted this to mean exaggerated bobbing up and down of the upper body, which seemed to me to have little to do with figure skating, plus contributing a negative amount of esthetic appeal.

Keegan's performance here, to me, shows exquisite blade- and body control without being cluttered.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Patrick's : no question about it

He has many but I will list one.

The one foot.. then the musical flourishes... A genius ! :)

This program gave him the best recorded short program score at that point.

In recent years, I am on team Adam Siao Him Fa, for his commitment and energy. Not as masterful as Patrick but so entertaining.

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
A few favorites that come to mind, starting with men and leaning toward "entertaining":

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Found this while looking for another on YouTube:

Jason Brown, The Room Where It Happens (Hamilton): cut only of the (highly scored) Step Sequence.

For the longest time I avoided rewatching the Hamilton SP, as it was part of the disappointment of missing the Oly team for Jason. But it really was an intricate program, as well as being entertaining. And of course Rohene Ward would rather die than place a step sequence in a program that did not organically flow or was there only to garner points:laugh:

ETA: and I was typing the same time as @gkelly. Great minds and all that....:)

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
A few favorites that come to mind, starting with men and leaning toward "entertaining":

those are all fabulous !

gkelly

Record Breaker
Just a few of women before I go to bed, again focusing on entertainment:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yuzuru - Let's Go Crazy, Seimei, Chopin, Rondo and Otonal (all on a was-then-still-twitter thread along with most of the rest)

Also simply because of the feelgood factor, Yuzu's performance of Johnny Weir's from Otonal at FAoI. The question was after all favourites...

Tatsuki Machida - East of Eden

Stephane - William Tell

Yagudin - Winter

Satoko Miyahara - Song for the Little Sparrow, The Planets, Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence

I will think of others and kick myself at 2 tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I love step sequences! Too many to choose from so I just raided my bookmark folder for a few examples, focusing on stylistic diversity:

Denis Ten 2017 Rostelecom SP (lyrical Italian ballad)
Mao Asada 2014 Olympic LP (classical)
Patrick Chan 2016 GFP SP (Beatles counts as acoustic pop I guess?)
Aleksandr Selevko 2021 Worlds SP (sorta hip hop)
Satoko Miyahara 2019 CoC SP (vaguely Middle Eastern EDM? It was fun to see her try something out of her wheelhouse)
Yuzuru Hanyu 2014 Olympic SP (blues rock, early noodly energy utilised very effectively)
Matteo Rizzo 2022 Euros SP (punk rock/Eurovision pride)
Nathan Chen 2020 ISP 1 SP (Mexican-inflected rock)
Jason Brown 2021 Worlds SP (Ailey i.e. modern dance of the spiky variety)
Wakaba Higuchi 2022 Olympic SP (lyrical pop)
Jeff Buttle 2007 Worlds SP (tango)
Tatsuki Machida 2012 CoC SP (some sort of electronic music, possibly one of Lambiel's earliest choreo works!)

I seem to collect more men's singles/short programme examples - maybe that combination tends to give more variety. Not easy to find a woman with top-notch skating skills choosing the more unorthodox genres.

By the way, are we mainly focusing on singles step sequences here? Just wondering, since pairs and ice dance step sequences are a rather different kettle of fish...

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Not easy to find a woman with top-notch skating skills choosing the more unorthodox genres.
Turns out I hadn't raided my folder thoroughly enough:
Wakaba Higuchi 2018 Japan Nationals SP (some type of EDM? It was a bit of an acquired taste...)
Kaori Sakamoto 2019 Skate America SP (indie pop rock)
Kim Yuna 2011 Worlds LP (folk music, could be considered slightly uncommon? I prefer this slightly over Lee Haein's more recent take due to its making use of the percussion and the stylised upper body movements)

Of course there are more examples of women with good skating and nontraditional music choices (hi Loena)... but it's a thread about favourites so I'm naturally biased toward certain genres/skaters 😅