Figure Skating Popularity is Rebounding | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Popularity is Rebounding

fairly4

Medalist
really--surprise surprise, in canada--olympics this year in canada.--why wouldn't it rebound.

making sure canadian skaters are staying up in top tier.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I'm tired of the doom and gloom. An couple articles on the sport's popularity in Canada: :clap:

Figure skating getting past controversy
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Olympics/2010Vancouver/News/2009/11/18/11799971-sun.html

Finding our way back to skating - go figure
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2009/11/finding_our_way_back_to_skatin.html

Thanks - nice articles. But it is also quite clear that Canadians are in no mood for another cheating scandal either.

Thinking ahead to the men's final in Vancouver I wonder which countries will be sitting on the judges panel?

And don't forget, only five judge's marks will be used to determine the winner and the podium.

It is easy to see how all five marks "randomly" selected in total secrecy could easily all be from Euro judges.

What if Patrick skates great but the marks appear to be gifted towards the European men?

Don't think this could happen?
I not only think it could happen, I would be surpised if it doesn't happen.

Poor Patrick and Poor Evan. And Poor Japanese skaters too

Last edited:
^ The judges for the men's event at the Olympics will represent Belgium, Czech Republic, France, Italy, Japan, Poland, Sovenia, Ukraine, and U.S.A.

After the short program, four of these chosen at random will be replaced by Canada, Russia, Slovakia and Sweden.

janetfan

Match Penalty
^ The judges for the men's event at the Olympics will represent Belgium, Czech Republic, France, Italy, Japan, Poland, Sovenia, Ukraine, and U.S.A.

After the short program, four of these chosen at random will be replaced by Canada, Russia, Slivakia and Sweden.

Thankyou for confirming the strong possibilty of such a nightmare scenario mm.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Thanks - nice articles. But it is also quite clear that Canadians are in no mood for another cheating scandal either.

Thinking ahead to the men's final in Vancouver I wonder which countries will be sitting on the judges panel?

And don't forget, only five judge's marks will be used to determine the winner and the podium.

It is easy to see how all five marks "randomly" selected in total secrecy could easily all be from Euro judges.

What if Patrick skates great but the marks appear to be gifted towards the European men?

So you mean that the 5 used judges will be selected by someone…whom?

Oh, janetfan, what a depressing post. Let's at least wait until the olympics is over. I am so looking forward to the men's competition :love::rock:

janetfan

Match Penalty
So you mean that the 5 used judges will be selected by someone…whom?

Oh, janetfan, what a depressing post. Let's at least wait until the olympics is over. I am so looking forward to the men's competition :love::rock:

I certainly hope I am wrong. I hope all marks will be without favoritism.
I have been watching Olympic skating for many years and I have never seen this happen. But there is a first time for everything.

If ISU would eliminate the anonymous judging it would go a looooong way towards establishing more trust. Until they do I, like many others will wonder why it has to be secret?

ETA: Supposedly a computer will "randomly" select which marks count and which marks are thrown out. I don't believe that will be done fairly either as it is the easiest thing in the world to "fix" the so called random selection of marks. Keeping it secret makes it harder to see how each judge voted and which federations the judges are from.

I don't think a more perfect system to allow cheating has ever been devised.

Last edited:
I, too, do not see the point of anonymous judging. It creates the appearance that something fishy is going on whether that is actually the case or not.

On the other hand, I am not seeing a Grand European Conspiracy against Chan and Lysacek here. The reason there are more European countries represented on the judging panel is simply that there are more European Federations in the Union. Any random draw of qualified judges would end up with a lot of European countries represented.

Likewise, I do not see any reason to be fearful that the judge from Solvenia will cheat in favor of Brian Joubert just because "we Eurpoeans have to stick together."

Could Cinquanta rig the computer? Let's be on the lookout for suspiciously high scores for Italian skaters. :yes:

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
If ISU would eliminate the anonymous judging it would go a looooong way towards establishing more trust. Until they do I, like many others will wonder why it has to be secret?

I definitely agree with this.

ETA: Supposedly a computer will "randomly" select which marks count and which marks are thrown out. I don't believe that will be done fairly either as it is the easiest thing in the world to "fix" the so called random selection of marks. Keeping it secret makes it harder to see how each judge voted and which federations the judges are from.

But who are these people you think are going to fix these selections?

janetfan

Match Penalty

But who are these people you think are going to fix these selections?

They are everywhere. Last night I was sure one was under my bed :laugh:

I believe the computer which is under the secret control of top ISU officials is located in Tokyo....or was it New York?
Sorry, of course, it is in Europe, in Switzerland ;)

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I'm tired of the doom and gloom. An couple articles on the sport's popularity in Canada: :clap:

Figure skating getting past controversy
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Olympics/2010Vancouver/News/2009/11/18/11799971-sun.html

Finding our way back to skating - go figure
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2009/11/finding_our_way_back_to_skatin.html

I am glad figure skating is popular in Canada. Suppose icehockey will be the BIG thing in Vancouver. Will FS be the second? Suppose you have big athletes in other sports too.

They are everywhere. Last night I was sure one was under my bed :laugh:

:laugh: I knew you were just being paranoid.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I am glad figure skating is popular in Canada. Suppose icehockey will be the BIG thing in Vancouver. Will FS be the second? Suppose you have big athletes in other sports too.

In the past the Canadians have had some awesome skiers and speedy skaters too but have no idea how strong their teams are this year.

I think there has been a major effort by the various Canadian winter sports organisations to field strong teams as last time they hosted in Calgary it didn't go so well.

Trying to be more cheerful I think Skate Canada will be a great competition this weekend and I am really looking forward to it. :yes: :)

i love to skate

Medalist

In the past the Canadians have had some awesome skiers and speedy skaters too but have no idea how strong their teams are this year.

I think there has been a major effort by the various Canadian winter sports organisations to field strong teams as last time they hosted in Calgary it didn't go so well.

Yes, hockey will be number one. Skating will be the second most popular. Interesting tidbit: The Pairs long program was the first skating event to sell out for the Olympics. I thought it would have been the Men's.

We have very strong speed skating teams (short and long track), strong skiers in all disciplines (aerials, downhill, moguls), excellent snowboarders and curlers, and strong contenders in other sports such as skeleton. We also have our strongest figure skating team to date so I think our medal chances are very good!

Janetfan, yes our sports organizations have received much more funding than ever before and this has translated into amazing results on the various sports scenes. There is also the Red Mitten Campaign where the mitts are selling for $10 and $4 from every pair go to athlete funding. The first batch sold out in a week and stores cannot keep them in stock :clap: They have been for sale for about two months and have sold almost 400,000 pairs I believe. The Canadian hockey jerseys are also breaking records in terms of sales.

Trying to be more cheerful I think Skate Canada will be a great competition this weekend and I am really looking forward to it. :yes: :)

Yay for positivity! Am I rubbing off on you?? :laugh:

jennylovskt

Medalist

What?! You are worrying poor Patrick and poor Evan? I am thinking that they might be the one who will be over marked. Let's start a debate on who will be over marked.:rofl:

Seriously, I think if Patrick or Evan gets gold, it is not normal. So stop crying on something that hasn't happened yet. May quad win!:biggrin::love:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Yay for positivity! Am I rubbing off on you?? :laugh:

Slowly but surely yes.
I admit I admire your positive attiude - perhaps because I am such a cynic.:yes:

Glad to hear about such great support for your athletes!

and I did go skating - indoors - and had alot of fun. My legs and butt muscles were sore for three days but I will go again soon.I like it better outdoors, the colder the better :yes:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
really--surprise surprise, in canada--olympics this year in canada.--why wouldn't it rebound.

making sure canadian skaters are staying up in top tier.

My thoughts exactly...

I certainly hope I am wrong. I hope all marks will be without favoritism.
I have been watching Olympic skating for many years and I have never seen this happen. But there is a first time for everything.

Very true... Its sad when you already know you are much more interested in seeing how the scores shake out vs. how the actual skates will go... I've never been big on the judging conspiracy theories of skating until Worlds 08. Now, I keep my eyes on the score.

janetfan

Match Penalty
What?! You are worrying poor Patrick and poor Evan? I am thinking that they might be the one who will be over marked. Let's start a debate on who will be over marked.:rofl:

Seriously, I think if Patrick or Evan gets gold, it is not normal. So stop crying on something that hasn't happened yet. May quad win!:biggrin::love:

Hell will freeze over before a certain group of judges will not favor their own skaters. ;) :)

That explains why Mao selected "Bells" for her LP. She knows the Euro judges will not be able to resist music so close to their evil hearts. :laugh:

Once again, tricky Tat is a step ahead of everybody else. :yes: :biggrin: :laugh:

Last edited:

i love to skate

Medalist
Slowly but surely yes.
I admit I admire your positive attiude - perhaps because I am such a cynic.:yes:

Glad to hear about such great support for your athletes!

and I did go skating - indoors - and had alot of fun. My legs and butt muscles were sore for three days but I will go again soon.I like it better outdoors, the colder the better :yes:

I'm glad to hear that I am winning you over :laugh: Thanks for your kind words!

I meant to ask you how skating went. I'm very happy to hear that you had a great time. I also love skating outdoors - especially near the holidays with all the Christmas lights!

Maybe some of the general public think that Sale/Pelletier are going to be there ;)

Well pairs has probably been Canada's most successful discipline actually. Battle of the Blades also helped bring attention to it again. The general public also has an idea of who Jessica Dube is - and it doesn't hurt that she is a beautiful girl ;) I was disappointed it sold out so fast though - I wanted tickets to it!