Free Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Free Dance

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Remember, there were TWO Russian judges on the panel: one representing Russia and one representing Uzbekistan. If those two judges were randomly selected and the US judge was not, it's not so surprising that those PCS scores were so ridiculously high for DomShabs in the FD. I've studied protocols for a couple of years now, and what happens is certain judges will ALWAYS put their skaters first, and at the same time, will lowball their closest competitors.

DomShabs' PCS scores were so high to help make up for the dismal TES. This won't be the first time that tactic was employed; it started in the 6.0 system with the presentation mark, and now is being carried on using the PCS. I also think the PCS and GOEs in the CD and OD were boosted big time because it was known that DomShab's FD was in bad shape because Shabalin had had an appendectomy this summer and that impacted practices.

I'm sure their ALL their scores will hit a new high at CoR.

Well I am glad there is atleast some plausible expectation to why their scores were seemingly so inflated. Granted Domnina/Shabalin are far from my favorite team so maybe I have a harder time being objective. I agreed they had the best CD but not by the margin they were in front. Their OD I did not think was better then Belbin/Agosto to be honest, although the two I thought were close in that phase. Their FD PCS was stunning for such a flop performance, althought it didnt matter in the end, still glaring.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Actually it appears the Russian team did have the lock on gold here barring real problems. I dont even like the Russian team, however that is very obvious even in the aftermath. The Russian team won the first two programs, had a big overall lead, and even got the highest PCS in the free dance with a terrible performance. With a cleaner performance they would have blown Belbin/Agosto away in the end, they were clearly the judges preference at this event.

I am just glad that B/A won - there is an ice skating god afterall. IMO the Russian team scores were inflated for all three phases. IMO B/A are the better team which was proved to me in the FD.

rain

Record Breaker
Wow, D/S had to self-destruct to lose this (even a so-so performance with a fall was going to win) and that's what happened. I'm kind of stunned. B/A won quite handily in the end. D/S should be a bit concerned that they only finished third in the FD and gave up 10 points to B/A.

I agree though, the judges were ready to give it to the Russians — which worries me for worlds, more than anything else.

And D/S got the highest PCS? Really? If a performance is bad enough to drop you from a commanding lead (by ice dance standards) down to third in the FD there's no way you should win the PCS score.

tennis289

Spectator
I would like to really know what Domnina and Shabalin were deducted for because it seems that I am one of the only fans of this great Russian team. I feel that they are a much stronger team than Belbin and Agosto and would really like to know why there TES was so low. As well I feel that there PCS scores were justified because there presentation and command of the ice is much better and is by the far the best at this competition.

escaflowne9282

Rinkside
I would like to really know what Domnina and Shabalin were deducted for because it seems that I am one of the only fans of this great Russian team. I feel that they are a much stronger team than Belbin and Agosto and would really like to know why there TES was so low. As well I feel that there PCS scores were justified because there presentation and command of the ice is much better and is by the far the best at this competition.

Looking at the judges Score cards, their final reverse rotational lift didn't count, one of their lifts was downgraded only to a level one(and had-GOE on top of that) plus they only received a level 2 in their FW sequence, Their spin recieved -GOE in addition to being called a level 3 .

FWIW, I like them too,and am pulling for them and the Delschoes at worlds this year

rain

Record Breaker
Just caught a youtube vid of D/S's FS. I'm also curious to find out what the deduction was for. Did they do too many lifts? I actually thought to myself while watching 'gee there are a lot of lifts in this program.' I think in this skate we really saw the results of missed training time. Their stamina was clearly not up to par. They slowed noticeably about halfway through. I'm pretty sure I could pick out which lift was downgraded/ given negative GOE. They almost had to finish part of it on the ice.

All those things being said, I like this program a lot more than their program last season. It's much less flaily and frenetic, and highlights, I think, more of their good qualities.

pista04

On the Ice
Congrats Belbin and Agosto!!

So that's 2 golds and 3 silvers (or 2 and a bronze....can't remember pairs) for the US! Pretty good haul!

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty

Their TES were so low since while Belbin/Agosto had all level 4 elements, as most top dance teams do nowadasy, Domnina/Shabalin had a level 3, two level 2s, and one level 1, among their 8 elements. Probably some of that was with the stumbles and coming out of things early they got downgraded.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Just caught a youtube vid of D/S's FS. I'm also curious to find out what the deduction was for. Did they do too many lifts? I actually thought to myself while watching 'gee there are a lot of lifts in this program.' I think in this skate we really saw the results of missed training time. Their stamina was clearly not up to par. They slowed noticeably about halfway through. I'm pretty sure I could pick out which lift was downgraded/ given negative GOE. They almost had to finish part of it on the ice.

All those things being said, I like this program a lot more than their program last season. It's much less flaily and frenetic, and highlights, I think, more of their good qualities.

The one point deduction was for doing one too many element. They did a 9th element, which was another lift, and it was not only discounted, but they got an additional point deduction for doing one too many elements.

oleada

Record Breaker
They messed up a spin and had part of it counted as a lift, which resulted in their last actual lift not getting counted, and a deduction for an extra element.

I am a fan too. I definitely think they are better than Belbin/Agosto, but not int his FD. I think that their messy performance here is due to the loss of training time this summer do to Shabalin's surgery. I'm sure they'll be ok later in the season - clearly their OD is a lot more ready than their FD at this point.

Her dress has to go. It hides her beautiful lines.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
It will be interesting to see their FD later in the season. Here it looked awful for a team of their calibre, and scored awful for such a high ranking team. Even with their PCS being the highest they finished only 3rd behind Faiella/Scali in the FD due to such a low TES.

discoduck

On the Ice
DomShab's FD has potential but today wasn't their day.
Tanith needs to bring back her SA dress but I still love this FD.
Massimo! :rock:
And of course I have to say :rock::rock: for the Zars and Go Down Benny Goodman!!

wushuang122

Rinkside
I really do not undestant why D/S(Rus) could get such a high PCS with such a bad FD! Thay are definately not stronger than B/A,their speed is such a problem. and it seems that they skates so uncomfortable!

RDiva

Rinkside
DomShab's FD has potential but today wasn't their day.
Tanith needs to bring back her SA dress but I still love this FD.
Massimo! :rock:
And of course I have to say :rock::rock: for the Zars and Go Down Benny Goodman!!

I don't see any potential of their Masquerade Waltz...i think it is awlful choice for them!! I think it is a disaster

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I don't see any potential of their Masquerade Waltz...i think it is awlful choice for them!! I think it is a disaster

I think the music could work; but the choreography and interpretation doesn't. He looks like Rasputin dancing with a wedding cake.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Some wag on another board said DomShabs looked like Beauty and the Beast.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I guess I should be more forgiving since her father killed himself last year, but she was such a beeyotch to those flower girls!