Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron

Giselle

Medalist
Sorry about the french ice dance rambling, I just get very passionate and frustated when talking about it :hslap:

Back to Gabriella and Guillaume's FD : it just flew by, which is always a good sign! They put a spell on the audience.
I definitly think that they can beat C/L at Euros. Not sure about Worlds, we'll have to see how their programs evolve. Worlds being in the US it will be tough for them IMO.

Plumededragon

Medalist
Sorry about the french ice dance rambling, I just get very passionate and frustated when talking about it :hslap:

Back to Gabriella and Guillaume's FD : it just flew by, which is always a good sign! They put a spell on the audience.
I definitly think that they can beat C/L at Euros. Not sure about Worlds, we'll have to see how their programs evolve. Worlds being in the US it will be tough for them IMO.
Considering the mistakes made, they can only get better from now on. I'm very happy (and proud) how they managed to deliver beautiful programs after such much training time lost. Now, time for them to show at International competitions that they still belong among the top couples. :) I only want gold for them, obviously, but the other ID couples will not make things easy, and that's how it should be, hehe. Gonna be very interesting! :cheer:

Mattieu

Medalist

I can't see how they won't win Worlds with that program and quality of skating and that is not just because I am French, they are on a different planet to the other teams.

Giselle

Medalist
I'm not saying that they won't deserve to be 1st, I'm just saying that I don't think the judges will put them 1st. Just my opinion of course!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Ehm... I think I'm bound to be criticized a lot for this, but I wasn't really impressed by their program: it was nice and well-executed but... just nice. I didn't feel or notice anything special/unique/emotionally or technically pleasing, it was just a lyrical, harmonic program without the wow factor their other programs have. There is still time for it to grow of course, and I'll have the luck to watch it live in Bratislava, so I hope I'll be able to notice what you have already been captured by on that occasion!

Plumededragon

Medalist
Ehm... I think I'm bound to be criticized a lot for this, but I wasn't really impressed by their program: it was nice and well-executed but... just nice. I didn't feel or notice anything special/unique/emotionally or technically pleasing, it was just a lyrical, harmonic program without the wow factor their other programs have. There is still time for it to grow of course, and I'll have the luck to watch it live in Bratislava, so I hope I'll be able to notice what you have already been captured by on that occasion!
Nah, it's not uncommon that seeing programs for the first time doesn't leave a major impression for some of us. I did enjoy them, but there's definitely room for better. And it's always much better to see the programs LIVE for a better impression, so yes, since you're going to Euros, seeing the programs live (and improved) should be more pleasing to the eyes. :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i am with you here... i saw a lot of skating on two feet... it is a nice FD but it's not as intricate as other teams right now. Considering what they have been through it is very exciting for the future.... hope they have time to add into it... as I don't think they would get close to the top with this particular skate.... just too simple....

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
If I were a crier, I would be crying too. But for a completely different reason.

This is what I posted on the French Nationals thread:

Before I get attacked by a mob of P/C ubers, let me say that I am a HUGE fan of this team, that I have been since they were JUNIORS, and that their talents and skills as dancers are second to none of those currently competing.

With that said, I have only one thing to say about this FD:

It will be a good test to show just how big a part reputation plays in the scoring.

I am BEYOND disappointed. That program is a waste of the talents of one of the best ID teams of the 21st century.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Nah, it's not uncommon that seeing programs for the first time doesn't leave a major impression for some of us. I did enjoy them, but there's definitely room for better. And it's always much better to see the programs LIVE for a better impression, so yes, since you're going to Euros, seeing the programs live (and improved) should be more pleasing to the eyes. :)

I was going to say, we have to try to keep in mind this is their season debut. I personally think it is obvious that it was the debut (sorry) and obviously debuts are not usually the best version of the dance. I am sure they will be working hard to make necessary improvements before Euros.

For my part I'm delighted to see them back, and am favorably impressed by the programs as the debuts that they are. I'm not profoundly moved by either program at this time but do think I might get there by the end of the season :)

liv

Record Breaker
I adore this program. It helps that I love the music, especially the beginning. Yes, in some parts I thought they needed more holds etc., but they had me just after the first few crossovers with their lovely soft knees and edges. It didn't "hit" me like last year's, but I thought it was very well done and considering that it's their debut, I'm impressed. And yes, it seemed so short! I much prefer it to C/L and C/B this year, to name 2 top teams.

Marta25

Medalist
If I were a crier, I would be crying too. But for a completely different reason.

This is what I posted on the French Nationals thread:

Before I get attacked by a mob of P/C ubers, let me say that I am a HUGE fan of this team, that I have been since they were JUNIORS, and that their talents and skills as dancers are second to none of those currently competing.

With that said, I have only one thing to say about this FD:

It will be a good test to show just how big a part reputation plays in the scoring.

I am BEYOND disappointed. That program is a waste of the talents of one of the best ID teams of the 21st century.

They are still so young and this is only a transitional year. There will be many, many more programs in the future and I can just hope that their coaches will let them do different styles. After seeing what the other Montreal teams showed, I expected something like this. This seems to be the choreographic style Dubreuil/Lauzon prefer.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
I can understand disappointment. I certainly don't think it is an amazing programme However, they do elevate it by their skating. And so it does move me. The programme itself though isn't outstanding.

The thing is though, I would have been amazed if they won whatever their programmes this year. They haven't got the time or momentum to bring that off. It will be good to medal even and then they can start next season afresh.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Sure. I agree with both Marta and TGS. It's just that they had the room this season, as World Champions, to really push for something exciting and quirky and modern and edgy. Even voidy. And what do they give us? A program that, if it was a color, would be beige.

Beige!

Like the rest of D/L's choreography. Good Lord, if people accused the Detroit school of cut and paste choreography (and not without a good deal of justification), what would you call the Montreal choreographic style? Mush. That's what I call it. Montreal mush.

Last edited:

GF2445

Record Breaker
They have all the natural connection you want.
But they need more time with the program and changes will need to be made.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Nah, I wouldn't say beige. It is like those white roses veined with palest pink in the centre. Exquisite, pure, but not brimming with colour or passion. ;)

I do agree that I hope they won't get trapped by their coaches in soft romanticism even though they do it so well. Those little Instagram clips of them working out in the dance studio show that Guillaume in particular can moooooove. :love: I would love them do something very modern next year.

Marta25

Medalist
I don`t know if the Montreal coaches are open for using outside choreographers, maybe that would be an option for P/C? I think for next year they should show some other style, because in the Olympic season every team will chose the style they are best in and this lyrical style seems to work for P/C. It`s the same strategy V/M used before 2010. Their FD for the 2006/2007 and 2007/2008 seasons were more from the lovey-dovey niche, in the 2008/2009 they showed their innovative Pink Floyd routine to go back to their lovey dovey style in 2009/2010. Maybe this is what the coaches plan for P/C, too? Anyway, I`m curious now to see how their FD will measure up against W/P, since their FD seems to be the one the judges prefer from all these "mushy" FDs.

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States
P/C are undoubtedly beautiful skaters but this FD is a letdown. I am shocked that the season after winning the World Championship, a team would have the chutzpah to follow up with a FD in such a similar vein. I even saw where Guillaume was quoted as saying he's happy they were able to find different music that suits their style. To the contrary, Champions need to demonstrate proficiency in different styles--that's known as growing and challenging yourself.

They also need to dance in hold--that's where the rubber meets the road. I was floored to see how little time was spent in dance hold--is it even legal? And the brief periods spent in hold were mostly in open, rather than closed, holds. They really need to up the ante.

P/C ubers who are handing them the European and World championships need to take a step back. Unless, P/C make major technical strides, my money is on C/L to win Euros.

Yet again, I am saddened by the many posters who show so little respect for all the other talented and hard working dance couples out there. P/C are wonderfully talented and I'm delighted to see them back, but they are not the messiah. Ice dance has been fabulous all season. Even better with them, but still great without them.