Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron | Page 209 | Golden Skate

Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron

floatingworld

On the Ice
Do you mean the just the Winter or also the Summer Olympics Alain.

I feel there's a big difference between the two.

i think the Winter Olympics suffer because the number of countries that can have access in terms of mountains, facilities, snow and finance for Winter sports is very few. There are only two countries south of the tropic of cancer that medalled (and those are Australia and New Zealand, which are really Northern Hemisphere transplants). By contrast, 78 countries medalled at Rio, whereas there were 28 at Pyeongchang.
Even the cultural aspects of ice dance come in to play with the figure skating team medal, where Japan and China are ruled out of medalling, and the medals therefore become a carve up between three countries, and the event appears an orchestration to give those countries and its individual athletes medals. (The team event is a nonsense that should be dumped- a very obvious celebration of country size and finance that actually makes the olympics look bad by giving athletes from some countries medals with a false equivalency between them and those won individually. The behaviours of those countries towards those athletes and the impact it has on their selecting of athletes and how those athletes behave with regard to selection was one of the many ugly aspects of the run up to this Olympics)
The summer Olympics isn't perfect; and finance and country size will always play a role in medalling. But the access to the sports involved is much more egalitarian (o.k. not dressage) and possible throughout much more of the world; and it just feels so much more international and joyous.

Figure skating's saving grace for me however is its internationalism when done well. Yes there was a lot of flag waving from some countries; and one country in particular whose nationals resembled a fascist rally. But there are also moments when skaters go out there and give us something that communicates internationally, and it's those skaters who provide those moments who really exemplify the Olympic spirit at an event that now feels very detached and different from the Summer games and its spirit (and this is exacerbated by the fact that the Summer and the Winter games are no longer in the same year)

Not only does the Winter Olympics end up 'excluding' other countries that do not have have any winter sports, it also has these competitive events that the rest of the world do not understand and find rather bizarre (e.g., curling). One of my friends remarked how odd these events look like and how strange some of the competition outfits are (e.g., speed skating crotch uniforms). It is easier to relate with the summer games that give better opportunities for other countries to participate. And yes, the figure skating team event is just such a bogus competition! I did not pay attention to it.

icetigger

On the Ice
:hap93: the show is very popular in uk! i guess they will do the sd cause dean made the choreography ? anyway they could do the duck dance and i still be on the moon!!!

As I am a Brit (but don't actually watch Dancing On Ice) I just had a quick look at the programme. They were announced at the end as going to be there (but not by name- as olympic medallists); and then I had a look at the size of the rink. Not sure how they are going to fit a performance on to the ice....... The LED back display screen are very impressive though, Could be used to great effect.

Here is Coomes and Buckland earlier in the series.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyCMWSfGO1Q

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Jane Torvill & Chris Dean decided to honour Gaby & Gullaume by inviting them to participate to Dancing on Ice in London on March 4th.

The show will be live broadcast by ITV.

The Ambassador of France in Great-Britain, Jean-Pierre Jouyet, and his wife, Brigitte Taittinger, are invited to attend the show and meet Gaby & Guillaume.

Thanks very for the information Alain. Very exciting news for us Ice Dance fans in Britain. The show is not actually in London, it's filmed in a purpose built studio at RAF Bovingdon in Hertfordshire, and the rink is tiny compared to what Gaby & Guillaume will be used to performing on, so they will need to practise on it for a while to adjust, as Penny & Nick did when they performed an adapted version of their SD on Dancing on Ice pre Olympics, when the show gave them a patriotic send off.
ITV are so stupid they didn't even announce the names of P&C, just "Olympic medal winners will be appearing on the show next week" at the end of this week's DOI this evening. If only they knew how many more viewers it will attract to see Gaby & Guillaume perform. It'll be an honour for us to have them in the UK! And nice for the Ambassador to be there too.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Jane Torvill & Chris Dean decided to honour Gaby & Gullaume by inviting them to participate to Dancing on Ice in London on March 4th.

The show will be live broadcast by ITV.

The Ambassador of France in Great-Britain, Jean-Pierre Jouyet, and his wife, Brigitte Taittinger, are invited to attend the show and meet Gaby & Guillaume.

Very cool! The show isn't broadcast here, but I hope ITV will put clips on YouTube. :)

A bit off topic but guys, how do you find the love of skating anymore ?
Papadakis Cizeron are one team of a lifetime, and sure I will watch their world performances the following years but man, FS is dead cold beside them.
I can't find the will to watch it anymore. Iwas mostly bored to death during this games and so tired of what I see around.
There's less and less skating to witness. Results don't mean anything anymore. Rules are dumb, most of the time not even used by the judges and a travesty to this sport.
For me, FS died in SLC. I'm done.
When I'll have enough money, I'll buy a pair again and just skate for myself. That's all what's left.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Papadakis Cizeron are one team of a lifetime, and sure I will watch their world performances the following years but man, FS is dead cold beside them.
I can't find the will to watch it anymore. Iwas mostly bored to death during this games and so tired of what I see around.
There's less and less skating to witness. Results don't mean anything anymore. Rules are dumb, most of the time not even used by the judges and a travesty to this sport.
When I'll have enough money, I'll buy a pair again and just skate for myself. That's all what's left.

Stick around if you like P/C, results or not. Don't necessarily go too crazy over points and enjoy the skating. I'm sure they'll have many more things coming for this quad.
Perhaps IJS is not the best way to sell a program but P/C, Aljona/Bruo, Sui/Han, etc... managed to skate some pretty good programs (read : masterpiece) under this system.
And things change from a quad to another, just look before and after 2014, it's almost 2 different eras. And we haven't seen the end of it !

I might be too young but in the past the programs were a lot more about dancing. There wasn't anything out of place because of technical requirements, which the skaters can totally achieve nowadays. There are some masterpiece pre-IJS : Duschenays' Missing, Anissina/Peizerat 2002 OD, Torvill&Dean's programs. I found them not only great but inspirationnal on a dancing point of view and sometimes, yes, having 2 step sequences, a dance spin, 3 lifts and twizzles can be a stop to that.

My dream is to have some sort of figure skating competition held once a year, with a technical program and an artistic program, just like in the past. Figure skating isn't as popular as it used to be for that but I hope that the very popular figure skaters do everyhting that they can to put figure skating on the map again because they are the one that can do it. I'm not saying that it has to be like in Japan everywhere, but I wouldn't mind :)

And I wasn't planning on following this quad like I did, but after 2014 worlds I was just checking results and got curious about who as first etc. P/C brought me back to intensively watching figure skating, just like it was when it was Mao vs Yuna. It takes something special ! :laugh: I was so blown away with Mozart the first time I saw it, if you can rewatch it with the British Eurosport commentary, they had the EXACT same reaction that I had, especially since Mark Hanretty was commentating too. In France, we are taught to skate the British way : the glide, the knee bed, etc. Not the scratchy, fast, powerful way (powerful will come with time). So he was delighted to see that and rightfully so.

Escarbille

On the Ice
Country
France
Do you think that we will have access to YouTube by some time (weeks - months?) to videos of NBCSN, BESP, BBC ...?
I would like to hear the comments on the SD and FD from Gabriella and Guillaume.

alain06fr

On the Ice

Well... I really love this sentence "Papadakis Cizeron are one team of a lifetime" :agree: and I fully understand your message.

Now, just think of the following: What Gaby and Guigui already brought (and will continue to bring) to ice dance is far more important, far more sublime and far more exceptional than any gold medal, even an olympic gold medal.

Charis

Rinkside
Wowww i am really impressed of how they manage to dance like nobody else exists in this world!!!Its like the two of them are on this earth and suddenly when the music stops they wake up and try to return to reality!!!This is amazing, magic and like a fairytale!!!What emotions do they give.... and is difficult to believe that they are only partners and friends...so much love comes out from them!!!:luv17:

maya1985

On the Ice
Amazed by their sonata and their mental strength but very sad for them: they could not fight on equal terms. It is certainly the worst that can happen. These games were cruel ...

4 years that Gabi and Guillaume make me dream and it's not over anyway :love:

oakandbirch

On the Ice
As I am a Brit (but don't actually watch Dancing On Ice) I just had a quick look at the programme. They were announced at the end as going to be there (but not by name- as olympic medallists); and then I had a look at the size of the rink. Not sure how they are going to fit a performance on to the ice....... The LED back display screen are very impressive though, Could be used to great effect.

Here is Coomes and Buckland earlier in the series.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyCMWSfGO1Q

I think it's a very good exercise for P/C to skate on a small rink.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
It was said a couple of pages before, but I'm so happy about that ! :hap10: Thank you anyway ancientpeas ! :agree:

:hslap: yeah..sorry. I just thought it was cool so I shared it. I went back a page to see and the tweet was less than an hour old so I thought. Anyway..sorry.