Gala Competition "Russian Challenge" 2023 | Page 30 | Golden Skate

Gala Competition "Russian Challenge" 2023

Selivanovp

Rinkside
According to Sports.ru Plushenko wanted one million rubles take part, he was probably joking, I guess he didn't apply. It was also speculated that any skaters who worked for Channel 1 and were 'encouraged' to take part.
He wanted 10mil, it's about 130k USD.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Vetlugin:
Did the judges even know the programs he cited? They must. Then how could they not score him better? He surely isn't a big name and there was more costume change than skating, but the skating he did was great. It was fun and well executed.
Matvei wuzrobbed!
Honestly though, I think the scores are basically a ranking of who the establishment likes the most (even moreso than the public, or at least young public)

Caliban

On the Ice
Scores of the show tournament, broken down by judges
The green color indicates the ratings of athletes who received special prizes from the jury members.

photo_2023-03-19_00-48-17.jpg

brakes

On the Ice
I think the show was close to maximum fan-juice you can squeeze out of figure skating. :points:

Apart from host who doesn't know/suit the sport at all and maybe lack of 1 or 2 judges from within the sport (although the idea of majority of fs outsiders in the panel is good).

3lutz3loop

Rinkside
Considering this is the first year they have done this competition it was pretty good overall. I love how fast-paced it was. My podium would've been yag, V/T, and Matvey. I really don't care about judging that much it's obvious they wanted the ice age crew to win, but I hope this doesn't make the other skaters choose emotional programs for next year. Also, I wish Rusfed had given the skaters more time to prepare. The funniest moment in the competition was at the end of the show when the judges were giving awards and majority of the skaters legit looked pissed

Amei

Record Breaker
Considering this is the first year they have done this competition it was pretty good overall. I love how fast-paced it was. My podium would've been yag, V/T, and Matvey. I really don't care about judging that much it's obvious they wanted the ice age crew to win, but I hope this doesn't make the other skaters choose emotional programs for next year. Also, I wish Rusfed had given the skaters more time to prepare.

The Fed announced this event at the beginning of the season, anyone who wanted to apply could have certainly had a 'rough idea' of a program ready to go.

The funniest moment in the competition was at the end of the show when the judges were giving awards and majority of the skaters legit looked pissed

Hmm, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I thought that was a bit awkward and in the moment put a damper on the event. Perhaps in the future they shouldn't have everyone sitting out there, maybe limit it to the top 3 scores and then call the others out as they win.

Amei

Record Breaker
Fun fact: one journalist sent and an apllication as a joke and was allowed to perform before the broadcast.

That's hilarious, what's the old joke that some random person should be made to do a sport before the athletes at the Olympics? Kudos to the Russian Fed/Channel one for saying 'why not, give it your best shot'

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Scores of the show tournament, broken down by judges
The green color indicates the ratings of athletes who received special prizes from the jury members.

photo_2023-03-19_00-48-17.jpg
Lol, whoever this Eifman guy is, he obviously hates men.

DoubleBass

Rinkside
Kamila creates such a vivid image with every skate. This native Indian program, Wednesday, Truman, Interstellar, Avatar, Bolero, In Memoriam, Girl on a Ball. Every time is a surprise. She should have been at least on the podium. There was so much energy in her skate.
And for me personally the Exogenesis too, the way she performed it at the JWC (even with a step out on the first 4T) one of my favorite programs ever, her innate understanding of the pace and the music as a whole is just insane.

And here in this Shaman program as well, her musicality was simply unparalleled once again, to hit every note with that kind of precision while performing complex moves on the ice, is very impressive. I think this program will prove to be a big hit as well on social media, it was also a reference to her Pagan, Tatar roots

JimR

On the Ice
And for me personally the Exogenesis too, the way she performed it at the JWC (even with a step out on the first 4T) one of my favorite programs ever, her innate understanding of the pace and the music as a whole is just insane.

And here in this Shaman program as well, her musicality was simply unparalleled once again, to hit every note with that kind of precision while performing complex moves on the ice, is very impressive. I think this program will prove to be a big hit as well on social media, it was also a reference to her Pagan, Tatar roots
Okay, that makes sense about the program. I had to look up Pagan Tatars.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
:dbana:
Russian Fed/Channel One missed an opportunity to have Shcherbakova be part of the routine, like have her sitting at the judging table staring him down, have her go out and smack him with the flowers while wearing her OGM, etc.
They really should have done that. They like to give opportunities to journalists who ask rude questions or write rude articles about skaters. They should allow the skaters whose they talked about to smack them back.

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Nobody:
Literally nobody:
Zhenya: *uses unusual music*
Fans of this music on Twitter (who have never watched fs before): :rock: :party2:

DoubleBass

Rinkside
They really should have done that. They like to give opportunities to journalists who ask rude questions or write rude articles about skaters. They should allow the skaters whose they talked about to smack them back.
She did have an opportunity to smack him back, she chose not to though, at least not openly, she was asked at the Post Olympic press conference what would she say to that reporter now that she is an Olympic champion and she said: "I'm not gonna say anything to him, but I can just wave" and smiled lol

LadyB

Record Breaker
I appreciated how much they did with those balls, but yes, if they just used it in the spiral to show mastery and told a clearer idea of a player who meets a girl who has no idea what the sport is and in the end she is a fan… but that would be a repeat of their rockstar program. They should have maybe let Mishina lead for once.
In a programme that has Zenit at its core, it has to be Sasha in the lead. He eats, sleeps and drinks football, especialy Zenit. He regularly posts his football practices on IG, mostly wearing the Zenit kit. I'm a sucker for team sports and I love everyone who is a fan with every fibre of their body (and I'm sure Nastya is a genuine fan too) - this is my reason why I loved that programme, even though I'm not a Zenit fan (yes, Fedor #sorrynotsorry 😜)

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Matvei is taken the mick out of everyone!!! Beautiful! Give him all the points!!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
This was the greatest thing I've ever seen, hilarious!!!

Hahahaha I wonder if Liza, Alina Z and Yagudin were out back going: "Hey, this guy stole our bits!" ;)

One of the judges were not on board though, obviously left his sense of humour at home!

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
LOL what are everyone's opinions on chair, table, random ladies, ballet-barreography? :biggrin:

Onto Dima now, he's looking good!

Hey, those two judges are talking to each other collusion! ;)

I kid, but that one guy lowballed the Hell out of him. Rude!

Ooo sailor themed? Let's swab some decks!

Haha that ending was cute.

:laugh2: Liza K reading Yagudin's biography.

Those first three judges need to calm their farm though.

Oh hey Sofia A. I keep watching the globe though...will Australia make an appearance? Did they remember New Zealand?

Yes to the first at least! Pretty program, good jumps! Nice work on the jumps.

My favourite British cozy murder mystery show is on now so off to watch that.

I'll get back to you.