GP event order changed for 2009 season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

GP event order changed for 2009 season

As I said, "the poor dears" will have to work harder. No problem for the Golf, Tennis, Swimming crowd. Just the poor dears of figure skating need so much time to prepare for a competition.

Joe

golf, tennis, and swimming don't get judged on artistry/choreography
Toni - :) Do you really see a difference in those figure skaters' artistry year after year. At the senior level they pretty much are not going to bring new forms of artistry later in the year. And the choreography, is pretty much the same - same technical in different places withe new music which I admit, the music can be challenging,and refreshing, but hardly a judge's concern.

I'm just thinking, maybe if they had to prepare earlier on, they could show how adept they are in presentation with several pieces of music.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
in some skaters yes, I see a difference from season to season... some do tell a story or interpret the music and don't just go from element to element

in others... no...

but that's what makes skating different.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I don't think it's a question of "new forms of artistry" coming in later in the year, I think it's more of knowing the choreography better and filling in any gaps as the year goes on. As examples, both Kimmie and Emily at SA had that "We just put this together 3 weeks ago" look (and in Kimmie's case, she HAD just put it together 3 weeks ago) and it showed. Emily's program, just one week later, already looked a lot more "together" and polished. As one becomes more comfortable with the choreography, in theory, the program should look more complete as the season goes on. And if you haven't had something that long, all the intended moves usually aren't going to be ingrained into your brain that soon, so in the early going a lot might be left out.

waxel

Final Flight
I wonder if NBC television had something to do with this. Maybe they wanted to wrap their Skate America / U.S. Nationals / Olympics coverage up in a neater package.

Yes, and I wonder if we'll have any televised coverage of the GP? I assume NBC will do SA, but otherwise I'm hoping that ESPN (or some network) will pick up the other events. I sure have been enjoying those nice 3 1/2 hour telecasts. I always want more- but I'm grateful for anything.

People do watch NASCAR and that gets prime time. ESPN has not said anything about further talks with Cinquanta on renewing the contract for figure skating. There has been no news about ESPN on showing Figure Skating after the US Nats. If someone has heard, it would be great to hear.

NBC Sports doesn't really need figure skating beyond the 2010 Oly, imo.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
NBC Sports doesn't really need figure skating beyond the 2010 Oly, imo.

Actually, I figure part of it will depend on whether they will bid for the Sochi (sp?) games (and if they do, whether they win). The other will depend on how good the ratings were for their past telecasts/whether they made money off the coverage. Also, maybe another network could make USFS a better offer than NBC would.

People do watch NASCAR and that gets prime time.

NASCAR ratings have been falling as well- Sports Media Watch has made a pretty big deal about this.