Gracie Gold | Page 91 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold

ice coverage

Record Breaker
On Nov 21 in Nashville, Gracie will be among the special guests for an exhibition (one of Scott Hamilton's fundraisers), along with Alissa Czisny.

Per @scotthamiltonskatingclub's Instagram post from just last night: " ... They are with us this weekend for Scott Hamilton & Friends and have made some time on Sunday to teach private lessons before flying home. ..."

(Jeremy Abbott is another special guest, per the ticket site.)

Lest anyone wonder:
Yes, I know that during the pandemic, Gracie already has given in-person lessons in other locations. The lessons in Nashville are not the point of my post.​
I do think it is noteworthy that she is involved in an in-person exhibition in Nashville at this time.​

Last edited:

macy

Record Breaker
On Nov 21 in Nashville, Gracie will be among the special guests for an exhibition (one of Scott Hamilton's fundraisers), along with Alissa Czisny.

Per @scotthamiltonskatingclub's Instagram post from just last night: " ... They are with us this weekend for Scott Hamilton & Friends and have made some time on Sunday to teach private lessons before flying home. ..."

(Jeremy Abbott is another special guest, per the ticket site.)

Lest anyone wonder:
Yes, I know that during the pandemic, Gracie already has given in-person lessons in other locations. The lessons in Nashville are not the point of my post.​
I do think it is noteworthy that she is involved in an in-person exhibition in Nashville at this time.​
the more experiences she has in front of an audience, the better. also, i miss Alissa so much. i'll have to find a place to watch.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
OT: I am astonished that they are having an in-person audience for the show. The audience will be at least 204 people, based on the number of available tickets (though many of them are being sold in "family groups" of 4, so presumably the 4 people in each group don't have to distance from each other). The ticket cost is less than $10 each, so I don't understand the economics at all, when you account for the costs of flying in 3 guest skaters. Maybe most of their revenue comes from donations, sponsorships, and broadcast/streaming instead of ticket sales.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
OT: I am astonished that they are having an in-person audience for the show. The audience will be at least 204 people, based on the number of available tickets (though many of them are being sold in "family groups" of 4, so presumably the 4 people in each group don't have to distance from each other). The ticket cost is less than $10 each, so I don't understand the economics at all, when you account for the costs of flying in 3 guest skaters. Maybe most of their revenue comes from donations, sponsorships, and broadcast/streaming instead of ticket sales.

More OT:

- FWIW, the facility apparently has 1000 seats for one of its sheets.​

ETA:
Plus the current availability of "36" under "Family 4 Pack" seems to be "36" *individual* tickets at a cost of $6.25 each. The tickets costing $6.25 each need to be purchased in batches of four. ("4" is the only option on the drop-down menu for the number of Family 4 Pack tickets to be purchased.)​
Otherwise, an individual ticket (not purchased within a batch of four) costs $8.00.​
So I think(?) total availability at this point is only 96 remaining tickets (60 + 36) -- not 204 (60 + [36 x 4]).​

- Just my two cents, but I am not aware of any streaming or broadcast.​

- General comment: First, a big disclaimer that I do not know one way or the other about this particular event ... but for some other skating fundraisers, the structure is that individual local skaters are challenged to raise money for a worthy cause -- and then the "prizes" for those who raise the highest amounts (and/or who exceed a certain threshold amount) is that they are given the opportunity to perform in a show. (In other words, ticket sales to the show probably are a relatively small source of revenue.)​
Unrelated to Scott Hamilton and unrelated to Nashville, I randomly remember that at least a couple of clubs had similar-type fundraisers a few years ago with incentives revolving around an Olympic team-event medalist who is a very popular and well-respected U.S. men's skater. IIRC, the prizes were not opportunities to appear in a show, but opportunities to take part in activities featuring the Olympian: to skate with him and/or to attend a seminar that he gave and/or to attend a group lunch with him.​
(I will keep my thoughts on this type of fund-raising to myself. I have no doubt that the Olympian's intentions were good, and I think it would be better not to name him in this thread.)​

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a bummer. Nashville is so close (comparatively, only 6 hours) from me, but I need more lead time unfortunately

spiralsnowflake

Rinkside
Gracie Gold is on Polina's podcast this week, discussing her comeback process.

Here's the link! https://wavve.link/polinapodcast

"This episode I talk to Gracie Gold about our favorite Sochi memories, and the realities of Comeback hardships after taking a long break from sport. We expose the common misconception: "Work hard and you'll be the skater you once were", and instead shine a light on how the physical and mental game of returning to sport after long hiatus is learning to be a different skater. We also touch on Body Image and the current wave of younger skaters, with some advice from Gracie on treating your body with kindness"

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

"This episode I talk to Gracie Gold about our favorite Sochi memories, and the realities of Comeback hardships after taking a long break from sport. We expose the common misconception: "Work hard and you'll be the skater you once were", and instead shine a light on how the physical and mental game of returning to sport after long hiatus is learning to be a different skater. We also touch on Body Image and the current wave of younger skaters, with some advice from Gracie on treating your body with kindness"

Welcome to Goldenskate, post long and post often!

Polina is certainly conducting interesting interviews with her podcast, and good to hear Gracie.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Thank you!

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

This podcast is really worth listening to. Gracie explains a lot about her struggles and why she decided to come back. She also gives her views on the trend towards young skaters who only last a few years and the focus on body type. Gracie gives a much-needed perspective from someone who actually knows what she’s talking about when it comes to body type and skating ability and how aesthetics play into it.

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This podcast is really worth listening to. Gracie explains a lot about her struggles and why she decided to come back. She also gives her views on the trend towards young skaters who only last a few years and the focus on body type. Gracie gives a much-needed perspective from someone who actually knows what she’s talking about when it comes to body type and skating ability and how aesthetics play into it.

I listen to most of Polina's podcasts when she has a guest and I really enjoyed the one with Gracie. Her comments about her body changing and the challenges of skating with a different body type when she came back were interesting and something that needs to be talked about more.

IMO, she is too self-conscious about her bust size (but as a fellow larger chested woman, I hear her) - she looks great and we need more womanly bodies out there doing triple triples.

Congrats to her for making Nationals again - I hope to see her enjoying herself more when she's out there.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wish I could be there to give her roses again. It’s something from Greensboro I will never forget.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can anyone better versed in the scoring system (which is almost everyone) tell me how much better Gracie could have scored had she not had that hand down/two foot landing?

happycamper2554

On the Ice
Can anyone better versed in the scoring system (which is almost everyone) tell me how much better Gracie could have scored had she not had that hand down/two foot landing?

The thing that really lowered Gracie's score was the missed combo. She was supposed to do Eu-3S on the second Lutz and didn't put it anywhere else. She could have had 5 or more points if she had gotten the combo in. The flip was also called under rotated with the two foot/ hand down. so probably 3 or 4 more their.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The thing that really lowered Gracie's score was the missed combo. She was supposed to do Eu-3S on the second Lutz and didn't put it anywhere else. She could have had 5 or more points if she had gotten the combo in. The flip was also called under rotated with the two foot/ hand down. so probably 3 or 4 more their.
Thanks. I’m trying to set my expectations for Nationals realistically.

Country
Norway
I have rewatched the SP and FS, and I can tell she is really improving. Her jumps are looking more and more solid. I think the FS is a turning point, because she didn´t give up all though she had a rough start. She went for the triple triple, and there was some pretty solid elements in the FS like the axels. I feel that the errors didn´t get in the way for her performance, she looked really concentred the whole program.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If I said it once I will say it a million times: nothing but respect for her. You have to love what you do to still be plugging away like this. It’s not about medals or winning but just for the love of the game. RESPECT

She can easily ride off into the sunset and there will be people breaking down her door to employ her. And she won’t need to put her body through any competition and probably make more money too.

Last edited: