Grand Prix Assignments 2021-22 Announced | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Assignments 2021-22 Announced

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I was surprised to see Nathan chose back-to-back GPs, but then I realized that Skate America and Skate Canada were both in his current time zone, which is massively convenient. Also very little travel required to get to both.
I don't think this is the first time Nathan did this, but I could be mistaken. I know that ice dancers, Hubbell/Donahue did this a lot with back-to-back Skate America and Skate Canada assignments. And then they would have a lot of time to work out what they learned needed tweaking prior to GPF and Nationals.

I know I keep saying this, but the antiquated competitive structure of this sport makes these GP assignments always a minefield with skaters being left out. Even so, those who don't make the GP can try to make their mark in senior Bs and work whatever they do get and the pace of the season to their advantage in other ways. It's not always a prize to do well on the GP and make the GPF, ya know. It depends on the particular skater or team and the stage of their career that they are in, among other logistics. FS is a minefield of a sport altogether that requires a great deal of planning, timing, preparation, luck, and strategizing.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Agreed, I do hope Khudaiberdieva/Bazin get one of the TBAs—Rostelecom seems most likely. Ice dance can always use a true diva to liven things up :)
I was surprised to see S/A only get one assignment, M/B with two and S/E with none! Rostelecom host spot will be highly in demand!
What is going on with these assignments, they don't even follow nationals :scratch2:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I know it was a very long shot, but I was quietly hoping that Emilea Zingas might get a slot.

I don't suppose the USFS could give her a Skate America slot (should one become available) for old time's sake... ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

noskates

Record Breaker
Wow - no Johnson and Calalang. I wish we knew what happened to them. I can't see them retiring when they were doing so well. I wonder if there's a bad injury or something. Kind of surprised OShea and Liu got an assignment when they're so new. I'm anxious to see them. And we're not sending anyone to China? The matchups in all disciplines are going to provide some serious skating! Sure would like to go to Skate America.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I have to wonder why Skate America didn't offer Alysa a spot instead of Skate Canada?

Why wonder though? Everybody who is eligible cannot be selected to Skate America. Who knows what goes into the selection decision-making. Definitely lots of factors are involved, including prior season results, readiness to compete, and myriad other things such as fs politics. Sometimes injuries upset the GP applecart, as we know.

This is just the first pass for GP announcements, judging from every past GP season. There are sure to be withdrawals which will open up slots as events near. And TBAs are yet to be decided too. Hopefully, the unpredictable course of pandemic aftermath (and continuing outbreaks in certain regions of the world) will not impact the full GP season going forward as scheduled.

icybear

Medalist
... And Kamila. I am hoping Medvedeva can get in shape enough to be at Rostelecom as I'd like to see her last year's programs done cleanly.

I'm sad not to see Calalang/Johnson. What's happened to them?

And I'm over the moon at Sota getting an assignment.
yeah I dont know how I managed to forget Kamila. She's literally the sole favourite

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Wow - no Johnson and Calalang. I wish we knew what happened to them. I can't see them retiring when they were doing so well. I wonder if there's a bad injury or something. Kind of surprised OShea and Liu got an assignment when they're so new. I'm anxious to see them. And we're not sending anyone to China? The matchups in all disciplines are going to provide some serious skating! Sure would like to go to Skate America.
There is still a TBA in pairs for Skate America. It will be filled by a U.S. team, which may well turn out to be Calalang/Johnson. You also have to remember that C/J did not go to Worlds in 2021, and they missed their 2020 chance due to the pandemic, so they have to rebuild their status and positioning domestically and internationally.

We do not know all that goes on behind-the-scenes. I also think that in these days of social media, some rinks and training groups are extra diligent about not allowing unsubstantiated rumors and gossip to proliferate, nor real information to leak until coaches and skaters are ready to say something. And, most often, the best way to make a statement is on-the-ice, laying it all down and leaving no prisoners. Audiences on their feet with jaws dropped, and keeping fans guessing is the better result/goal than being the object of ill-founded speculation, or overdone expectations. JMO.

lilsailor

On the Ice
Zhou I understand better (he did get his world bronze after all) than Samsonov over Boyang and Mozalev, because despite bright hopes Samsonov didn’t deliver in medals.

How Samsonov with a WS of 79 got two GP spots over Petr and Andrei who are 50 spots above him, is beyond my level of comprehension. Guess RusFed's favoritism for one camp pulled through again.
does samsonov have a boost debuting in the senior grand prix as a reining jgpf medalist? how does that work?

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
How Samsonov with a WS of 79 got two GP spots over Petr and Andrei who are 50 spots above him, is beyond my level of comprehension. Guess RusFed's favoritism for one camp pulled through again.
It's confusing to me too. Not only has Andrei defeated Samsonov many times before, he's also the reigning Junior World Gold Medalist and has delivered better results this season than Samsonov. Daniil was seventh at Junior Nationals. Andrei was fourth at Senior nationals. Unless Daniil has got his jumps back, improved his PCS, and is now consistent, I think Andrei deserved the two spots over him. And that's not even mentioning Petr, who, to be fair, had a rough performance at Nationals, but did well at the Russian Cup Final and Rostelecom Cup.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
does samsonov have a boost debuting in the senior grand prix as a reining jgpf medalist? how does that work?
Medalists at Junior Worlds and the JGPF are put into the pool for consideration for assignments. Shun, for example, probably got his two spots because he won the JGPF and the JSF wanted him to have two assignments. Andrei and Petr, who have Junior World/JGP medals, were given their one spot each because of their medals/results, but probably would have needed the Russian skating fed to campaign for them to attend two events. Samsonov was the one who received that federation boost, despite Mozalev and Gumennik having better results internationally and domestically.

lilsailor

On the Ice
Medalists at Junior Worlds and the JGPF are put into the pool for consideration for assignments. Shun, for example, probably got his two spots because he won the JGPF and the JSF wanted him to have two assignments. Andrei and Petr, who have Junior World/JGP medals, were given their one spot each because of their medals/results, but probably would have needed the Russian skating fed to campaign for them to attend two events. Samsonov was the one who received that federation boost, despite Mozalev and Gumennik having better results internationally and domestically.
hmm, i get you. bit of an odd choice, i would have figured it would be a better strategy to have do another year in junior, w/ some of the older top juniors having moved up, and let him try make his mark next season in senior in the post-olympic drain

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
There're criteria. Shun is a JGPF winner and he had 13th SB in 2019/20. That's why he got two assignments. And not because JSF wanted it.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone know whether audiences will be permitted at the Internationaux de France? - such a great line-up. I've checked the FFSG site and scoured the internet, but can't find any information.
I believe it is far too early to know. The Skating Club of Boston won’t be announcing if spectators will be allowed at Cranberry International until 7/15. Let alone a big international competition still months away (I know France is not the Skating. Club of Boston).