Grand Prix Speculation 2015-2016 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Speculation 2015-2016

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... There is nothing in the announcement about medalists choosing or whatnot ....

LOL, the ISU announcement barely mentions the concept of host picks and does not really explain how that part of the process works either.

So an absence of information about something from the ISU announcement does not necessarily mean that the "something" is not happening, IMO.

I do seem to recall that sometimes skaters who are among the top three seeds have made off-hand references as to which GPs were or were not available to them, depending on whether they were seeded first, second, or third; and depending on which GPs already had been claimed by the others. (Sorry, I don't have any quotes at my fingertips. Just a general recollection from years past.)

The top 2 seeds DO get to say where they would prefer to skate, and the #3 seed gets the remaining two events. The seeds are selected by the representatives of the host countries at the ISU GP meeting, and the top seeds' preferences are honored. ... .

chuckm, is it possible that abiding by the preferences of the top seeds is a time-honored tradition that is understood, accepted, and followed by all concerned -- without being a formal rule in writing? :think:

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, that is how it has worked in the past. Traditionally, the preferences of the top seeds has been honored by the hosts.
Of course, host pick does have some impact even on the top seeds' choices. For example, if the #3 seed is to be host-picked, that event can't be chosen by the #1 and #2 seeds (seeds know if their home federation has chosen them as a host pick).

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yes, that is how it has worked in the past. Traditionally, the preferences of the top seeds has been honored by the hosts.

Thanks, chuckm :).

And the following anecdotal memory is coming back to me:
Virtue/Moir won 2012 Worlds, ahead of Davis/White and Pechalat/Bourzat.
V/M thus were able to make a strategic choice of 2012 Rostelecom as part of their long-term prep for Sochi. (It was V/M's one and only time at Rostelecom.)
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs_cr_00006989.htm

Last edited:

uhh

Medalist
Thanks, chuckm :).

And the following anecdotal memory is coming back to me:
Virtue/Moir won 2012 Worlds, ahead of Davis/White and Pechalat/Bourzat.
V/M thus were able to make a strategic choice of 2012 Rostelecom as part of their long-term prep for Sochi. (It was V/M's one and only time at Rostelecom.)
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs_cr_00006989.htm

I don't think it was their strategic choice - they couldn't have TEB which was their usual pick because P/B were already there from the top seeded group thanks to the host pick rule taking precedence.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I don't think it was their strategic choice - they couldn't have TEB which was their usual pick because P/B were already there from the top seeded group thanks to the host pick rule taking precedence.

I could have sworn that Tessa or Scott or Zoueva made a casual comment at some point during that season to the effect that V/M chose Rostelecom -- as opposed to NHK (or Cup of China) -- with Sochi in mind.

But I don't know an exact quote off the top of my head, and not worth it (to me ;)) to search for one.
Not claiming that my memory is infallible, of course.

(Agreed that V/M love Paris, Tessa has a French "family," etc.)

Last edited:

Trewyn

Medalist
@_David_Molina
Trophée Bompard 2015 will take place in Bordeaux. Yes, in Bordeaux again! Don't forget your sunglasses 😎 #figureskating #TEB2015
3:35 AM - 21 Apr 2015
https://twitter.com/_David_Molina/status/590463972362608640

He is an ISU judge from France who has tweeted bits of reliable news in the past.

WHAT?? :mad: I LOVE going to Paris for TEB. Bordeaux is a lot trickier. Still, I hope Ashley gets TEB. I'll make the trip this year.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker

samm22

On the Ice
Could SA possibly be near Boston? I think it would be good preparation for worlds, kind of like how they held Russian nationals/gpf at sochi before the Olympics. It would also be cool to see international skaters here before worlds...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Could SA possibly be near Boston? I think it would be good preparation for worlds, kind of like how they held Russian nationals/gpf at sochi before the Olympics. It would also be cool to see international skaters here before worlds...

I don't think so. They had Nationals in Boston in 2014, so organizers are already familiar with the venue and organizing an event there. (I believe the folks organizing Worlds is the same as those who organized Boston).

That said, there isn't anything currently scheduled for the SA dates at the TD Garden.

The prevailing rumor seems to be Milwaukee, Wisconsin, which is really strange because that's only like 1.5 hours from where they held it last year. (And it would be a major home crowd for Gracie and Jason again, cause it's only 1 hour from their former home rinks).

As for the others. Cup of China is likely to be either in Beijing or Shanghai (with Harbin as an outside shot) and Rostelecom Cup will probably be in Moscow again, as it has been the last 9 years. St. Petersburg is a very outside second choice (the city hosted the event in 2005).

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think so. They had Nationals in Boston in 2014, so organizers are already familiar with the venue and organizing an event there. (I believe the folks organizing Worlds is the same as those who organized Boston).

That said, there isn't anything currently scheduled for the SA dates at the TD Garden.

The prevailing rumor seems to be Milwaukee, Wisconsin, which is really strange because that's only like 1.5 hours from where they held it last year. (And it would be a major home crowd for Gracie and Jason again, cause it's only 1 hour from their former home rinks).

As for the others. Cup of China is likely to be either in Beijing or Shanghai (with Harbin as an outside shot) and Rostelecom Cup will probably be in Moscow again, as it has been the last 9 years. St. Petersburg is a very outside second choice (the city hosted the event in 2005).

They should have it in the DC area! I mean like not to be biased, but it's a great area! Cool tourist locations and well the competition might be held in VA if it happens cause the Verizon Center is too large for an event like Skate America. Though the Patriot Center is of good size.

samm22

On the Ice

I was hoping that Boston would get to see a live preview of some skaters before worlds...I can't complain because we DO actually have worlds though! :)

samm22

On the Ice
Spots up for grab 41/60

Host picks (up to 18 depending on how many picks are from above list)
USA: Mariah Bell, Ashley Cain, Karen Chen, Mirai Nagasu, Angela Wang

Is is possible that Mirai could have 2 spots on the grand prix again...I know it's hope, but it would be wonderful if she did, as it would put her in a more negative light than she already is come nationals if she only had one, or worse none (although I don't see the latter happening).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Is is possible that Mirai could have 2 spots on the grand prix again...I know it's hope, but it would be wonderful if she did, as it would put her in a more negative light than she already is come nationals if she only had one, or worse none (although I don't see the latter happening).

I don't see Mirai getting none. She is not guaranteed any, but she should get an invite anyway as she's pretty close to the SB 24 list.

AS for getting two, it's hard to say. She has a pretty good shot, but again not guaranteed.

samm22

On the Ice
I don't see Mirai getting none. She is not guaranteed any, but she should get an invite anyway as she's pretty close to the SB 24 list.

AS for getting two, it's hard to say. She has a pretty good shot, but again not guaranteed.

I was about to say, since she's ranked 27, if a couple of the skaters like Yuka Nagai don't move up, she could be given a spot...but here's hoping she might get away with 2!! I hate waiting!!!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I was about to say, since she's ranked 27, if a couple of the skaters like Yuka Nagai don't move up, she could be given a spot...but here's hoping she might get away with 2!! I hate waiting!!!

Out of the top 24, Wakaba Higuchi (10) is too young (and staying juniors). It's yet to be seen whether all of Maria Sotskova (17) and Elizabet Tursynbaeva (19).

Nagai will probably move up. She competed at 4CC this year.