Grandma had a stroke | Golden Skate

Grandma had a stroke

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm running on very little sleep... Grandma had a stroke sometime last night and was rushed to the hospital at around 3... I was there from about 4 till 7 when she kicked all of us out of the hospital.

she's in denial, but it wasn't a little stroke...

we don't know how bad it is yet, they're doing an MRI sometime today...

why does this stuff ALWAYS happen around this time of year?

Oh, I am so sorry to hear the bad news. My prayers go out to your family. I hope the prognosis turns out to be as optimistic as possible.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Our prayers too.

A stroke is not good, ever, but since the TPA clotbusters, outcomes are much better than they were, if you get to the hospital promptly.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
no one knew for sure when she had the stroke, so they didn't give her the clotbuster as it's dangerous to give it past the 6 hour mark...

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
My heart goes out to you and your family. I'm afraid not knowing the prognosis is the worst part. You are in my prayer.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Toni, I'm sorry too to hear the news, not knowing is always the hardest part. I have you & family covered for prayers.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
So sorry to hear that, Toni......hope she'll be alright. Keep us posted..........42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm on the phone with my dad right now and he just got off teh phone with my Grandpa.

Gramma was finally given something to eat - soft food diet - she had potatoes and a milkshake. There's some issues with her swallowing, so she may be put on a liquid diet for awhile.

MRI is done, results are due tomorrow......

and she's getting another CAT scan done now because they didn't like how the first set turned out...

and Grandpa is headed home to sleep.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm on the phone with my dad right now and he just got off teh phone with my Grandpa.

Gramma was finally given something to eat - soft food diet - she had potatoes and a milkshake. There's some issues with her swallowing, so she may be put on a liquid diet for awhile.

MRI is done, results are due tomorrow......

and she's getting another CAT scan done now because they didn't like how the first set turned out...

and Grandpa is headed home to sleep.
Good to hear your update. It's tough to see your loved one decline at any time, but especially during the holidays.

I'll be traveling to Japan in a couple of days to check on my aging mother, but I'll also check on this site to be certain re: your grandma's conditions.
Again, you are in my prayer.

kandidy

Final Flight
My best wishes to your grandma and wish her speedy recovery. Be strong and hope everything turn out all right.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Grandma looks WAY better than she did yesterday. Her left side of her face is way less droopy, her eyes are clear, but she's still just talking outside of the right side... there's no more or less paralysis on her left side.

She seems WAY more confused about what's going on around her. Jim and Karen were with her today and she was on teh phone with dad and she told him she was at their house. She's also trying to get OUT of the bed over and over and over, but she is swallowing on her own (and is not on a liquid diet). The IV is also an issue, she was very angry that Grandpa would not take it out/off. And telling her she had to keep it in was making her mad.

Didn't see Grandpa today, they finally convinced him to go home and eat and get some rest. Karen was there when Judy and I went to visit and said it's been pretty good overall. Grandma finally went to teh bathroom while we were there...

but with her confusion Grandma didn't recognize who I was (I think she thought I was my cousin, she kept saying "my other granddaughter" and then would tell a story that was definitely me) unless she just couldn't remember my name and was trying to refer to me. It was a little confusing... but she kept looking at me with a blank/confused look. So we didn't stay long because I wasn't as calm cool and collected this time around... I was fine yesterday when she seemed to know more of what was going on, but seeing her so frustrated/upset/confused... yeah...

Planning on going back over on Tuesday. Grandpa's neighbor brought him food to the house so he's being taken care of, too...

thank you all for your support and prayers... it really means a lot... :cry:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Toni, I just want to echo the sentiments that you've had here, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma and am thinking of you and your family at this difficult time, all my best wishes and (((((((toni))))))).

Ant

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Toni, just got on the boards today and saw the news about your grandma. Hope she is doing better. Sending well wishes to you and your family, hang in there.

Blue Bead

Medalist
Wow! Toni...I'm so sorry to read of the news of your grandma's stroke. I can relate to what you are going through as my late husband had a massive stroke before his death. The confusion your grandmother has is not unusual, at all. My hubby was the same way, although his was way worse than what your grandmother's case seems to be. His ability to speak was radically altered; when he tried to talk, all anyone could hear were initelligible sounds. However, his actions over the course of time "spoke" for him and it was clear to everyone just how confused about his situation he really was. He, too, lost his swallowing reflex. Unfortunately his never returned.

My hope is that your grandmother can rally and recover from this situation. She and your family will be in my prayers.

just wondering

On the Ice
Dear Toni,
My prayers are with you & your family! Please continue to post about your grandma's progress. Hugs to you all. JW

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Grandma looks WAY better than she did yesterday. Her left side of her face is way less droopy, her eyes are clear, but she's still just talking outside of the right side... there's no more or less paralysis on her left side.

She seems WAY more confused about what's going on around her. Jim and Karen were with her today and she was on teh phone with dad and she told him she was at their house. She's also trying to get OUT of the bed over and over and over, but she is swallowing on her own (and is not on a liquid diet). The IV is also an issue, she was very angry that Grandpa would not take it out/off. And telling her she had to keep it in was making her mad.

Didn't see Grandpa today, they finally convinced him to go home and eat and get some rest. Karen was there when Judy and I went to visit and said it's been pretty good overall. Grandma finally went to teh bathroom while we were there...

but with her confusion Grandma didn't recognize who I was (I think she thought I was my cousin, she kept saying "my other granddaughter" and then would tell a story that was definitely me) unless she just couldn't remember my name and was trying to refer to me. It was a little confusing... but she kept looking at me with a blank/confused look. So we didn't stay long because I wasn't as calm cool and collected this time around... I was fine yesterday when she seemed to know more of what was going on, but seeing her so frustrated/upset/confused... yeah...

Planning on going back over on Tuesday. Grandpa's neighbor brought him food to the house so he's being taken care of, too...

thank you all for your support and prayers... it really means a lot... :cry:

Is this the first time she had a stroke? Check with the notion of "Multi-Infarct Dementia." http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/multi_infarct_dementia/multi_infarct_dementia.htm

It sounds lot like the symptoms my father suffered. On the other hand, I'm hoping and praying that is not the case...it's hard.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
this is her first stroke, yes.

Just got off the phone with my uncle (total mama's boy, and not my favorite person, but that's completely irrelevant. lol) Grandma seems to be doing well, still has teh confusion, but definitely knows who Jeff is. He was having a rough night - he stayed the night with her - and she kept trying to comfort him (leave it to my uncle to break down in front of her when teh dr. clearly told him NOT to do that, to go outside and do it! UGH!) patting him on the head and such.

They brought in the occupational therapist this morning and worked on her left side. They also took her out in the hall where she could look at herself in the mirror while standing. She took a few steps and then was just exhausted. She wheeled around the halls for a bit in a wheel chair and listened to a lady play the harp and then fell asleep...

grandpa then told my uncle to get off teh phone, as he wanted to call the hospital, so I guess teh update will have to continue later.

please continue your prayers. I'm debating setting up a blog account where multiple family members can update the blog as updates become available. When I get back on the phone with someone I'm going to pose the question to see what they think.