Hanyu, Chen face off again in Stockholm | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Hanyu, Chen face off again in Stockholm

1111bm

Final Flight
Interesting, Nathan is abandoning the 4Z for now. I don't think he has ever done that (?) He did say at Nationals that he didn't feel like he was on top of his feet or something like that. He is keeping the difficult combo in the SP. He just put it up front but he downgraded from a 4Z -> 4T.

In the LP, he is actually downgrading from 2019, where his jumps were 4Z, 4F, and 2 4Ts. I am a huge fan but I'd be careful of too many DGs. His victories over Yuzu are largely driven by the shock and awe of his tech arsenal. Then again, Nathan is prone to changing things up at the last minute, so I have a weird feeling that depending on how the competition is playing out the day of, he might turn one of those earlier triples into a quad ...
Ok, first off... yes he has abandoned the 4Lz (together with 3Lz) in the past.
That was either due to an (left?) ankle injury (namely during Nationals 2018 and the Olympic Team event) or because he possibly wasn't in his best shape due to a bad case of the flu (namely Nationals 2020 - although I personally suspect a reoccurrence of his ankle problem, since he also went with a 3Lo instead of a 3Lz, despite the latter being the more comfortable jump for him, so that was weird).

Second, I'm confused why everyone is taking his planned program content seriously and discussing it, when it's pretty clear that it is not his actual planned content (or maybe it's just clear to me, because I follow him very closely).
Traditionally his PPCs are never even close to what he actually does, I thought that had become a sort of running gag by now.

Plus, he's mentioned in his pre-Worlds presser that he's pretty much keeping his content from Nationals (which =/= his Worlds PPC).

Plus there's some practice footage from Monday showing him doing an SP with 4Lz, 3A, 4F+3T.

Backloading a quad combo at worlds is an awful lot of risk with not much reward.
Agreed. Those measly 0,4 bonus points are seriously not worth the risk, especially when your layout is already this challenging.

Last edited:

Olympic

On the Ice
It appears the layouts just haven't been updated and were carried over from SA. Most likely Nathan will try the same layouts he attempted at Nationals. His SP layout in run thrus this week has been 4Lz 3A 4F3T.
OK. Thanks! He also did say in pre-Worlds interviews that he was not really changing the jump layouts. His 4F-3T in the 2nd half of the SP looked strong at Nationals

Olympic

On the Ice
Ok, first off... yes he has abandoned the 4Lz (together with 3Lz) in the past.
That was either due to an (left?) ankle injury (namely during Nationals 2018 and the Olympic Team event) or because he possibly wasn't in his best shape due to a bad case of the flu (namely Nationals 2020 - although I personally suspect a reoccurrence of his ankle problem, since he went with a 3Lo instead of a 3Lz, despite the latter being the more comfortable jump for him, so that was weird).

Second, I'm confused why everyone is taking his planned program content seriously and discussing it, when it's pretty clear that it is not his actual planned content (or maybe it's just clear to me, because I follow him very closely).
Traditionally his PPCs are never even close to what he actually does, I thought that had become a sort of running gag by now.

Plus, he's mentioned in his pre-Worlds presser that he's pretty much keeping his content from Nationals (which =/= his Worlds PPC).

Plus there's some practice footage from Monday showing him doing an SP with 4Lz, 3A, 4F+3T.

Agreed. Those measly 0,4 bonus points are seriously not worth the risk, especially when your layout is already this challenging.
Call me a concerned fan. Nothing more

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Nathan Chen will be attempting five quads in free in the same layout from US Nationals. He will not be trying the quad loop. Jason Brown will be attempting a quad salchow in his free skate.

lzxnl

Final Flight
Nathan Chen will be attempting five quads in free in the same layout from US Nationals. He will not be trying the quad loop. Jason Brown will be attempting a quad salchow in his free skate.
I wonder if he'll try six quads at the Olympics again. If there were ever a stage for him to try six, it's the Olympics, although it'll be different to his last attempt at six quads, as now he would need five different quads in a single program, which no one has done before.